Sign in to follow this  
Jeanway

The Bandwagon Effect

Have you ever noticed how and why Threads go Off Topic? I think, and this is just and observation, that one thing is either misunderstood or misquoted then the Thread goes in that direction. :( This has happened to me alot and it happens to alot of other people. One small detail is blown all of proportion or twisted and then everyone from that post on bases their reply on that. Then everyone just jumps on the Bandwagon. :( Just take note of this and you will see what I'm talking about. There ARE other reasons too, but this is just one reason that I think this happens. I call it 'The Bandwagon Effect' Now let's see if it happens in this Thread :(

Have you ever noticed how and why Threads go Off Topic?  I think, and this is just and observation, that one thing is either misunderstood or misquoted then the Thread goes in that direction. :lol:  This has happened to me alot and it happens to alot of other people. One small detail is blown all of proportion or twisted and then everyone from that post on bases their reply on that. Then everyone just jumps on the Bandwagon. :(  Just take note of this and you will see what I'm talking about. There ARE other reasons too, but this is just one reason that I think this happens.  I call it  'The Bandwagon Effect'  Now let's see if it happens in this Thread :(

That reminds me.... Which airline do you like to fly best? My favorites are Air Canada and JAL....

:(

Oh wait, continental is nice, oh but 9/11...

and I like your beam me up scotty in Latin... nik...

Edited by WEAREBORG4102

Oh wait, continental is nice, oh but 9/11...

and I like your beam me up scotty in Latin... nik...

On the other hand, I thought the last Matrix movie was somewhat of a disappointment.

What do you think?

yeah it was a bit boring but ROTK made up for that...

yeah it was a bit boring but ROTK made up for that...

And how often would you actually eat bad soup anyway? Certainly no more than once per day!

VERY FUNNY :( nik, thank you for showing exactly what I'm talking about :lol: :( :lol: Didn't take much to go veering off did it? :) :lol: Good Job, nik, :: as he wanders off muttering to himself:: " It's the same but it's not the same" :(

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist. This is inded an interesting experiment. However, as with many things in nature, you possibly alter the behavior of the observable with the observation. What do you think?

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist.  This is inded an interesting experiment.  However, as with many things in nature, you possibly alter the behavior of the observable with the observation.  What do you think?

I'm observing nik, going over the edge a little :( Or shall I say, he's being hurled into the abyss of Lunacy, and now he's dancing to OUR tune :( HE'S ALIVE!!!!!!! :( :lol: SAID DR. FRANKENSTIEN :lol: :lol:

And what part did you play in this little drama, my friend :( :( Me thinks nik has a new ' right hand man' :(

And what part did you play in this little drama, my friend :(  :(  Me thinks nik has a new ' right hand man' :(

No, no Jeanway. The conversation fell out naturally. As you pointed out, WAB and I were both victims of "The Bandwagon Effect." No internal collaboration was formed.

Interesting, no?

Don't be so sure, sometimes alliances are formed , unconciously :( :(

who will ever know??

YOU will, WAB :( Just think about it :lol: :( :(

who will ever know??

YOU will, WAB :( Just think about it :( :lol: :lol:

what's that supposed to mean???

Anything naughty???

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist.  This is inded an interesting experiment.  However, as with many things in nature, you possibly alter the behavior of the observable with the observation.  What do you think?

Only if the observed know they are being obseved, nik. Did you think I was observing you? :( That wasn't my intent but you sure made it look that way. I was just making an observation and presenting a hypothesis. Now you proved it for me by example, good job, thanks, and you too WAB :( Now I guess this thread will end up in the Trash, just like most of my other ones :lol: :(

well anyways the ROTK film was great and won so many oscars...

Hmm..... Ben-Hur....

Oscars....

After reading all the post here a question came to my mind, Do you walk to work or carry your lunch? And who's buried in Grant's Tomb, True or False!

Walk

Carry

Grant......................Cary Grant :(

Do you smoke? If yes, WHAT? :(

Do you brush your tongue? :(

Are you a vegetarian?

O.K., Thank you everybody for keeping this Thread completely OFF TOPIC which just further proves my Point :lol: .....................PROCEDE :lol: This looks like the 'Junque Drawer' thread I tried to start a few months ago, which got buried and forgotten. Oh you should see these crickets, by the way they are so cute :( HHMM, wonder if it's going to rain ::looks up at the sky:: :lol: I better go eat now. :( :(

Okay, serious answer.

People often go off topic because they're touching on a tangent or responding to something someone said. One board I used to visit - had little sidebars where you could respond to an off topic question within the post.

Or as Strother Martin would say "what we have here is a failure to communicate" and some people don't realize they are going off topic - because words carry different connotations to different people. I have made that unforgiveable error and been chastized accordingly on occasion.

And sometimes threads just take a life of their own - and the new topic is more intersting.

It does, however, get very annoying in the games forum, but aside from that, I agree... It is funnily odd...

Which animal is it that goes on four feet in the morning, on two at noon, and upon three in the evening?"

WELL???? :( Tell us :(

Which animal is it that goes on four feet in the morning, on two at noon, and upon three in the evening?"

WELL???? :( Tell us :(

It must be ...... human....

Crawls on all fours at birth (the morning)

Walks upright at maturity (the afternoon)

Uses a cane at old age (the evening)

Isn't this the riddle of the sphinx?

WHY CAN'T IT EVER BE SOMETHING SIMPLE AND OBVIOUS?? :( LIKE A DUCK! :(

WELL???? :laugh: Tell us :flex:

It must be ...... human....

Crawls on all fours at birth (the morning)

Walks upright at maturity (the afternoon)

Uses a cane at old age (the evening)

Isn't this the riddle of the sphinx?

Yes, it is a human

Yes, it is the riddle of the sphinx