Sign in to follow this  
Goose

I Need Some Advice

Stardate:214322.9

Ok on Saturday I am gonig to be taking the SAT's.I will be taking it a total of three times.This first time is jsut to see how I do and where I need to improve.Then I will take it again next year and once again before I graduate. So i wanted to get everybodys impression of the test.

For those of you out there that have taken the SAT do you have any advice on what to do while taking it,study habits,ect.

Anything is greatly appreciated.Thanks.

I'd make sure you get a good night's sleep and relax. Don't worry to much if you don't do as well as you hoped the 1st time you can always take the SATs again. Heck, you might get lucky and get a killer score the 1st time out. Good Luck :lol:

3 words:

Kaplan, Kaplan, Kaplan!!!

There probably wouldn't be enough time to take a look at it before Saturday, but maybe before the next time you take it. Kaplan is a company that makes study materials (book, CD-rom) for all of the standardized tests and more. I don't know if they're sold in your area, but I used 'em (i.e.-was forced to :wow: ) for several weeks (maybe a month or two; I can't remember) before all my tests and only ended up taking each one 1 time. The CD gives you actual timed tests, flashcards, tips and pointers, vocab lists, etc.

Now I don't mean to freak you out with this; the test wasn't awful and I didn't even study all the stuff anyway. Fez's suggestions are very true. Get plenty of rest and don't let yourself get stressed about it; why stress when you can take it again?

One thing I'd add: breakfast. Weird suggestion, I know. I never eat breakfast, but havin' a little healthy breakfast that morning really does help you think more clearly... I think. All I had was a bowl of hot oatmeal and I still think it helped me. :lol:

There are alot of practice tests on the net also. Most of em are SAT's they used several years before, so it's the real deal. You can take one of them if you want to; helps you get a feel for the experience beforehand.

I wrote too much again. Bad Ace. :lol:

If you want to ask me any questions, feel free to PM me. :wow:

Edited by Ace

It's been a very long time since I took the SAT but I've taken other major tests since then. Ditto to what has been said. Get plenty of sleep, eat breakfast (but not a big breakfast) and get some sort of study manual and work all the problems and take a practice exam before you take it the second time.

I'm 13 and took it. I got a 98% for my age group.... considering I was 12 when I took it....

All I can say is that you need to brush up on your skills with word problems. Do not rush and check your time. Make sure you have enough of it. Factoring is a necessary thing to know!!!!!

Also try princeton review!!!! they have some great books for vocabulary. Also there is the college board that makes the SAT. They publish a book that has 10 real full lenght SAT's. If you can score well with that, you can score well on a test.

Here is a sample problem if you want to do it.

(x^2) - (7x) - (30) (space) (x^2) - (4x) +(4)

________________ X _______________

(x^2) + (x) - (6) (space) (x) - (2)

Click for Spoiler:

x-10

If you got the answer, you should do pretty well maybe about a 1250-1350

depending on your English Skills.

Edited by WEAREBORG4102

I'm 13 and took it. I got a 98% for my age group.... considering I was 12 when I took it....

All I can say is that you need to brush up on your skills with word problems. Do not rush and check your time. Make sure you have enough of it. Factoring is a necessary thing to know!!!!!

Also try princeton review!!!! they have some great books for vocabulary. Also there is the college board that makes the SAT. They publish a book that has 10 real full lenght SAT's. If you can score well with that, you can score well on a test.

(x^2) - (7x) - (30) (space)  (x^2) - (4x) +(4)

________________    X            _______________

(x^2) + (x) - (6)      (space)          (x) - (2)

Click for Spoiler:

x-10

12, really? I took it when I was in the 7th grade. I don't remember how well I did though. I remember it was way over my head though. :rofl:

Like the others said. Work through the practice books, but don't stress over it. If you start worrying too much it might actually hinder you. Make sure to get plenty of sleep the night before and definitely eat breakfast. Before you start the test take a deep breath and relax then begin it. Keep track of your time while taking it so you don't spend too much time on any one question.

Oh, duh, the easiest suggestion (you probably already know it, but just in case):

Go through the section working only the easy questions first. If you can tell a question might take a few minutes after reading it, come back to it after you've gotten all the quick questions out of the way.

I also forgot how much of a reading section is on the SAT, but I hated it. The best tips for those "read this story, then answer several questions on it" sections are to underline the important parts/ main points of each paragraph (if you're allowed to mark in your book; you should be).

Whenever you see an obviously wrong answer, mark through it. That helps to narrow down the correct answer and cuts down on accidentally putting the wrong letter in the wrong "bubble".

The last standardized test I took was the GRE (Graduate Record Exam). I bought some software (I don't remember the brand) to study for the test. I found it incredibly helpful.

The software included a sample test which was exactly like the real test (not the same questions, but exactly the same concepts). It pointed out the areas where I was weak so I could concentrate my studies there.

While I do not remember my exact score, I do remember my score was significantly better than my SAT's (the GRE scoring system is similar to the SAT, and the GRE is harder).

On a side note, I gained a better understanding of calculus studying for the GRE than I did in my college classes.

(x^2) - (7x) - (30) (space)  (x^2) - (4x) +(4)

________________    X            _______________

(x^2) + (x) - (6)      (space)          (x) - (2)

Click for Spoiler:

x-10

12, really? I took it when I was in the 7th grade. I don't remember how well I did though. I remember it was way over my head though. :assimilated:

I was 12 in 7th grade

Stardate:214336.3

Well i took the test today and I think I did pretty good.I was pretty confident about every answer I put so I think I should get a good score.I will post my score when I get the results.

Thanks to everybody who helped out and gave me some advice.It is much aprreciated :drool:

Glad to hear you think you did well. :drool:

Edited by Ace