Sign in to follow this  
Jeanway

WHITE SOUND

I know what you're talking about. I have to have some sort of soft repetitive noise in order to sleep. If it's quiet it's almost like the silence is a roar.

Some people call us ' FAN atics ' B)

Edited by Jeanway

Took the words out of my mouth ... sort of.

I almost always have to have my window or floor fan on during the night. I dunno if I just like the sound, or the fact that it drowns out some of the sound from the street below my dorm window. B)

Wyhat the (content edited :frusty:) is white noise?

That's a good way around the censors, mis-spelling :P WTF would have done nicely too, MK :frusty:

White Sound is a constant sound that masks other sounds like dogs barking or lawnmowers or people yelling in the streets. It just makes sudden sounds softer, it's very soothing too. I have a Sound Screen. It's a small box, that sounds like a waterfall and you can raise or lower the tone and volume to suit you. It's very nice. An electric fan also makes white sound, constant, understand?

Edited by Alterego

I've probably burned out 15 box fans since 1980 (maybe earlier). The only time that I can remember not sleeping with a fan on was when I was in the Army, and then I would have my AC on (When I had a room with one).

THANK YOU EVERYBODY :frusty: I know it sounds crazy to people who don't do this. But I have this ringing and roaring in my ears when it's quiet, it drives me crazy. It's called Meniere's Syndrome. That's when I started doing this. I heard Clint Eastwood also has this problem. But I've found the little 'White Sound Machine' has just been a God-Send for me. I bought mine from a catalogue I got on an airplane. It's about $100. but lasts a long time, it's worth it, easier than dragging a big, noisy fan around with you if you travel too :frusty:

THANK YOU EVERYBODY :P  I know it sounds crazy to people who don't do this.  But I have this ringing and roaring in my ears when it's quiet, it drives me crazy.  It's called Meniere's Syndrome. That's when I started doing this.  I heard Clint Eastwood also has this problem.  But I've found the little 'White Sound Machine' has just been a God-Send for me. I bought mine from a catalogue I got on an airplane.  It's about $100. but lasts a long time, it's worth it, easier than dragging a big, noisy fan around with you if you travel too :frusty:

I didn't know there was a name for that. I've always had been that way, I just thought everyone had the ringing and roaring in their ears, learn something new all the time don't you? :frusty:

The condition you are all describing is "Tinnitus".

I suffer from it too.

I hear ringing, whistling and roaring sounds in my ear if I am in a silent environment.

I turn on a ventilation fan if I'm in the bathroom, an electric fan if I'm in the living room, and I sleep with a VCR playing near my bed.

I cannot be in a silent environment.

It's quite terrible actually. It's affected my life horribly.

I've had it for four years now it makes my life miserable.

:frusty::frusty:

I didn't know other people had this. I thought it was something I did, maybe as a kid, loud music or gun shots too close to my head, or whatever. I know I can hear my heartbeat in my head. It's not pleasant, I'd like to be quiet once in a while without all this commotion going on :frusty: I actually thought I could never, live with someone or ever get married, because of this one thing. Yelling really bothers me too. Feels like my eardrums are going to break, that's why I like the yelling in here, it's quiet yellings, all Caps :frusty: