Sign in to follow this  
Ace

Military question

I know this may not be the best location, but I just need to get a quick answer. Feel free to move or delete it afterwards.

My old best friend is graduating from boot camp at Ft. Jackson next month. Are non-family guests allowed to attend the ceremony? We wont be able to find out from him until we get his next letter, and I wasn't sure about the info on the base's website. It would just be 2 of us, and I'm not sure any of his actual family will be able to attend.

Anyone know?

When I graduated from Basic Training at Fort Jackson in 1988 the graduation was open to anyone that wished to come. There were activities (a dinner) for the families after the graduation but the actual ceremony was open to friends and family.

I have no idea if it is still that way now.

Also, it depends on the Base's policies. RTC Great Lakes is really tough about it. Ft. Jackson might not.

Base? That's a Navy/Air Force thing... Army has Posts :bow:

:bow: I'll just let you two argue 'bout that.

Thanks guys. After checking up on a few other things, I'd say that's right.

Just out of curiosity: Why do they (from what I've heard) get in trouble for receiving "care packages", etc.?

:bow: I'll just let you two argue 'bout that.

Thanks guys. After checking up on a few other things, I'd say that's right.

Just out of curiosity: Why do they (from what I've heard) get in trouble for receiving "care packages", etc.?

We never got in trouble for the packages when I was in. But if there was any food, soda or other types of "forbidden" stuff in it then you had to eat or drink everything in it that day. No food in the lockers at all. No adult magazines, no news magazines no CD players, no radios no mini TV's nothing of that sort was permitted.

When my mother would sent me a care package she would always make brownies, cookies or other types of "goodies" then pack in a pack of "drink boxes" like grape or cherry. SHe always made enough to fill the box so I could eat what I wanted but she knew I would have to pass the rest out that day. She'd pack it with popcorn because we'd eat that too and it acted as a perfect packing material. Even my drill sergeants got some of the goodies at times. The best part was when we were in the field for days at a time and a box came in mail call, because since we were living in a fox hole and a 2 man shelter (tent) we were allowed to keep the stuff in with our gear. So me and a couple of close friends would snack on it foe a day or 2 rather then the whole platoon getting a little lol.

Those rules might have changed now, but I have a feeling that it's the kind of thing that is set by the individual basic training company commander or First Sergeant.

Ah the memories... I miss it all.

Also, it depends on the Base's policies. RTC Great Lakes is really tough about it. Ft. Jackson might not.

Oh that's right. I could make many a joke about Army guys sitting on their posts, but none are clean enough for this place (though there are also plenty of Sailor jokes equally as harsh)

Oh that's right. I could make many a joke about Army guys sitting on their posts, but none are clean enough for this place (though there are also plenty of Sailor jokes equally as harsh)

Such as what is long and hard and full of seamen? :bow: