Sign in to follow this  
Jeanway

WHEN PLANETS COLLIDE

I've heard that term many times. :thumbs: Obviously none of us have seen this, so what does it mean, metapohrically, :bow: Sorry, Weareborg for the big word :thumbs:

Edited by Jeanway

I've heard that term many times. :bow: Obviously none of us have seen this, so what does it mean, metapohricly, :thumbs:  Sorry, Weareborg for the big word :thumbs:

Spelling police: metaphorically. :busted:

(sorry Jeanway, I could not resist)

On a literal level: Occasionally, space objects do collide, including planets. I have heard theories that our moon was formed from a collision between the Earth and another planet during the formation of our solar system.

On a "metaphoric" level: I am not familiar with this phrase being used other than on a literal level. However, I suspect the meaning would be something catastrophic.

I've heard that term many times. :bow: Obviously none of us have seen this, so what does it mean, metapohricly, :thumbs:  Sorry, Weareborg for the big word :bow:

Spelling police: metaphorically. :busted:

(sorry Jeanway, I could not resist)

On a literal level: Occasionally, space objects do collide, including planets. I have heard theories that our moon was formed from a collision between the Earth and another planet during the formation of our solar system.

On a "metaphoric" level: I am not familiar with this phrase being used other than on a literal level. However, I suspect the meaning would be something catastrophic.

It's O.K. Ed, I've trained you well :thumbs: Nice to see your on the job, correction duely noted and dealt with :hug: Now there is syntax problem. :blink:

:busted: :thumbs:

I haven't really paid attention to whether I've heard it metaphorically or not but if I did I would think it meant when people of totally different backgrounds - socioeconomic, religious etc are thrown together on an issue. You know how we talk about people living in different worlds.

I'm thinking of the movie Witness, where the cop had one objective and the family taking care of him had another.

I haven't really paid attention to whether I've heard it metaphorically or not but if I did I would think it meant when people of totally different backgrounds - socioeconomic, religious etc are thrown together on an issue.  You know how we talk about people living in different worlds.

I'm thinking of the movie Witness, where the cop had one objective and the family taking care of him had another.

HA, HA :thumbs: sounds like what's going on in here. But it's so much fun when ' PLANETS COLLIDE', isin't it, :bow: Well, most of the time anyway? :thumbs:

When planets collide: DOOM!!!!!!

Result is the rest of the undestroyed planet is stripped of some of its atmospere. This results in a low oxygen level. Radiation levels would increase with cosmic rays. And also tectonic activity may be halted to accelerated leading to volcanoes erupting or volcanoes that stop erupting meaning that all the continents will all be eventually eroded away. Also the orbit would become more elliptical and have eratic climates. Also the distance from the sun may change further destroying life. Maybe the rotation of the planet may stop and winds would cease to exist leading to enormous tidal bulges that would cause worldwide flooding without waves. These would form stagnant pools and mosquitoes would breed and spread disease.

Ahhh the many ways a planet could die.

It actually depends on the types of planets colliding. In a sense, hamanity saw

something very similar about 10 years ago when comet Shoemaker-Levy

hit Jupiter. It was a nice light show, but Jupiter was really undamaged. In many

cases, the laws of celestial mechanics dictate that in a system, while planets MAY

collide, they generally don't for a few related reasons. In short, the central star and planets form by matter "coagulating" into clumps. These generally remain separate. That's not to say that they don't, but if you see an "evolved" solar system, any collisions are more likely to occur near the beginning of its lifetime. We have to keep in mind that planets just don't run into each other because we have this big mass in the center of our system called the sun.

Consider a smaller system: Saturn. There are moon's right in the middle of Saturn's rings in the plane of the rings, which are in turn made of smaller particles comparable to planets. Why don't these collide all the time and scatter matter into the interplanetary medium? They are locked in an orbit with what the astronomers call "negative" energy (that's just a term - nothing cosmic or special about it). Each position in the ring moves with it's own orbit. The moons in the rings (referred to as "shepherd moons") actually tend to sweep matter out of their orbits without necessary colliding with this matter.

Do planets collide? Sure. How often? Maybe..... once per billion years (rough

guess). What happens? It depends on the planets. Two "minor planets" (asteroids) would probably shatter. Two planets like earth would probably undergo a transformation like what WEAREBORG described (I'm left wondering how two planets like the earth would come into close proximity). Perhaps the most spectacular would be two gas giants (like Jupiter) colliding. (Again, I'm wondering how they would get close enough at such a late stage in solar system development).

Ahh, I watched that. Shoemaker-Levy. That WAS something, huh nik? That was actually meteor, or comet with 21 or 22 pieces and when they slammed into what was it Jupiter, one by one, it was quite a show. By the way it was discovered by a WOMAN, :bow: You DO know that, 'Mr.Man', don't you :bow: Just kidding with ya nik. :bow: { sure wish there were some planets in our emoticons} HINT, HINT.

Ahh, I watched that.  Shoemaker-Levy.  That WAS something, huh nik? That was actually meteor, or comet with 21 or 22 pieces and when they slammed into what was it Jupiter, one by one, it was quite a show. By the way it was discovered by a WOMAN, :bow: You DO know that, 'Mr.Man', don't you :bow: Just kidding with ya nik.  :bow:  { sure wish there were some planets in our emoticons} HINT, HINT.

Yes I do! If I remember correctly, her name was Carolyn Shoemaker. A fine astronomer!

I've owned several over the years, but eventually just started using the one at the

university I work at. It's nice. Yourself?

No, but I may soon. I've visited observatories many times :bow:

Edited by Jeanway

If you need any suggestions, I've used several different models over the years, and can tell you what I've liked and disliked about each.

Something you want to send me here is O.K. Maybe everyone would like to see too. I've got a nice roof here and alot of huge windows. When I take a shower the moon shines in, it's so nice. :bow: sometimes when I take a shower in the middle of the day I get a rainbow, it's so neat here. :bow:

When Stars collide like U and I, the shadow blocks the sun.....Elton John

It means....he mad a lot of $$$$.

What? :clap: Well, I guess it's O.K. to go off topic once in a while :huh: