Sign in to follow this  
Jack_Bauer

Who is the greatest Canadian?

I'm sure most people living in Canada have seen CBC's ads for the greatest Canadian contest. I'm wondering who you would pick. Personally, I haven't voted (and probably won't) but I think if I did it would be for Wayne Gretzky. He's the embodiment of our national sport, he's a class act, and a proud Canadian. He lead our country to its first gold medal in 50 years in the Olympics. His name is forever associated with hockey and Canada.

My other choices would be Lester B. Pearson (Nobel peace prize, the flag), and Terry Fox (ran across Canada, incredible determination).

Off the record, I think that Trudeau will probably win but I don't think I'd vote for him.

So, Canadian members (or any other members who wish to name someone), I ask the question:

Who is the Greatest Canadian?

I nominated Joesph Howe, for his contribution for setting Responsible Government in Canada using peaceful methods, rather then the resorting to violence as Mackenzie and Papineau (though Papineau didn't approve of the violence it was his followers)

Uh, a list to choose from would be nice. :flex: All I can come up with is some Kannuk comedian and I can't even remember HIS name. Help us out a little, I know there are alot of famous Canadians, just can't name one off the top of my head. Sorry. :)

I'll give you a few links to some of my favorite Canadian heros if you like :flex:

Sir Robert Borden- Former Prime Minister (during WW1)

Sir John A. MacDonald- First Canadian Prime Minister

Sir Wilfred Laurier- First French Prime Minster

William Lyon Mackenzie King- Former Prime Minister during the depression and WW2

Pierre E. Trudeau- Former Prime Minister, one of the most popular in modern times

Joseph Howe- Pushed for responsible government

Sir Charles Tupper- Former Prime Minister, helped bring forth confederation

I'm post more later, you may notice they are mostly political but since that is my main interest I went for them first but there are many other Canadians that I will mention who weren't involved in politics.

Edited by Nemesis

O.K. since I actually met Pierre Trudeau once, I'll have to go with him :flex:

Oh, I'd like to add Tommy Douglas to my list. He is the creator of the thing Canadian's are most proud of: our universal health care.

Trudeau, there is no man who has stood up to the Americans the way he did, he was great! the great one wood b my second choice, if you want a list or to vote go to www.cbc.com/greatest :laugh: enjoy!

I guess Michael Shanks would be a superfluous answer. :laugh: But he is my favorite.

I'd certainly add Farley Mowat and Lucy M. Montgomery to the list of significant Canadians.

Edited by TheUnicornHunter

Trudeau, there is no man who has stood up to the Americans the way he did, he was great! the great one wood b my second choice, if you want a list or to vote go to www.cbc.com/greatest :bow: enjoy!

What about all those significant figures during the War of 1812? They didn't stand up to America lol.

I'm ashamed of all of you. It has to be William Shatner!  :bow:

Sorry I'm not ashamed...I love Shatner, but Terry Fox still gets my

vote... :thumbs:

The greatest Canadian?

Well that would have to be...

Click for Spoiler:

ME!

Lol. Just kidding.

Um... Chief Dan George is better great. Oh and Peter Gzowski. And you can't forget Wayne Gretzky.

But I think the greatest Canadian would be Lester B. Pearson.

No wait! I change my mind!

The greatest Canadian? DAVID SUZUKI! He is amazing. What he has done for our environment is remarkable.