Sign in to follow this  
Trinneergirl

T'Pol's future.

The reason I think T'Pol is responsible is because had she not been under the influence of her drug and had been thinking clearly the Enterprise would have left before the Xindi attacked. The fact that they sat there doing nothing while Trip and Malcolm kept urging her to do something is what made them vulnerable to attack.

Certainly, once the Xindi attacked her competence or lack thereof is irrelevant - the point is - had she been competent they wouldn't have been there to be attacked to begin with.

KM, any competent scientist would know you don't test an unknown drug on yourself.

Thalyn, on another thread, also suggests T'Pol became involuntarily addicted. That too would make a difference. So I'm going to rewatch the scene she recommended.

Okay I'm editing to add comments about the scene I rewatched.

.. I rewatched that scene. However, while she did indicate coming off of the initial exposure did help her access emotions - she then stated she "wanted" more. Phlox also pointed out she must have known how dangerous trellium was and she indicated she didn't think a small amount would be harmful. For an uninformed civilian such an assumption might be overlooked - but she was the Science Officer - a scientist would know that drugs have to be tested before their side effects become clear.

Phlox also asked when she realized she was "becoming" addicted. These two statements together suggest to me she wasn't initially addicted.

Edited by TheUnicornHunter

UH, read that again. He said when you "realized" so this means that it could have been initial, Phlox also hasn't done enough of a study to realize this either. Now I come to think of it, what if it was Trip who was addicted?

KM, any competent scientist would know you don't test an unknown drug on yourself.

Actually those who pioneered the use of Ether in the field of medicine often tested it on themselves before applying it to surgery.

Actually those who pioneered the use of Ether in the field of medicine often tested it on themselves before applying it to surgery.

There weren't any other Vulcans on board for her to test it on. She probably thought she could control herself and still observe the effects of the Trellium. Vulcans in Enterprise's time period are very arrogant and don't seem to consider the possibility that they might make a d****ss decision. B)

Now I come to think of it, what if it was Trip who was addicted?

It isn't the fact she was addicted - it was the fact her drug use got people killed. As a senior officer she engaged in activity she knew would affect her ability to function. I believe she was responsible for damage to Enterprise, for the loss of life, and for the near failure of the mission which would have cost the lives of all of humanity.

If Trip had taken drugs and done something that had the same effect - he should have - and he would have been thrown in the brig. I also believe Trip also would have felt remorse for what he had done.

People with drug problems should not be in command positions. If you want to experiment with drugs you should choose a job where you won't be putting other people at risk.

If you want to experiment with drugs you should choose a job where you won't be putting other people at risk.

Well it could be argued that T'Pol had the best interests of the ship at heart as she was risking her health in order to become resistant to the effects of Trellium D and allow Captain Archer to line the ship with the substance in order to increase the safety for everyone else.

So her heart was in the right place, so to speak B)

If you want to experiment with drugs you should choose a job where you won't be putting other people at risk.

Well it could be argued that T'Pol had the best interests of the ship at heart as she was risking her health in order to become resistant to the effects of Trellium D and allow Captain Archer to line the ship with the substance in order to increase the safety for everyone else.

So her heart was in the right place, so to speak B)

If that had been her reason you would be right. And I really thought that was the direction the writers would take - it certainly would have made more sense.

As TheUnicornHunter says, Trip and Malcolm strongly urged her to leave the area after the Captain left. She chose to stay because the emotions the drugs she chose to take were ruling her judgement. She fell apart, hid in the ready room and was all but about to run away in a shuttlepod when the attack began.

She was, in short, utterly incomptent. The moment she told Phlox he should have relieved her from duty until she was cured of the addiction. The show has said, 'it's okay to take drugs - there are no consequences even if you get people killed'. Like a driver who gets behind the wheel whilst drunk, even if she didn't know she was addicted, she knew the drug was imparing her abilities. She still took it and people died because she was unable to make any decisions, let alone the right ones. She didn't murder those who died, the Xindi did. But her professional incomptence was to blame for putting those who died in harms way. She should be permanently relieved of Command in my opinion. But it'll all be swept under the rug and she'll face no consequences. I just know it. And, in my opinion, it has no redeeming feature that she gets away with her actions.