Sign in to follow this  
Stelfan

Shades Of Gray

I was just watching the season 2 finale Shades of gray, when Riker is infected by a microbe and only certain endorfins can remove them. Therefore he has to relive memories..

These memories really annoyed me, at many places he is unconscious or not even there, how can he remember things that he didn't know about? For example when Cap. Picard orders a transport on the bridge when he is down on a planet..

Where they really that bad at producing those days? :D

There was a writers' strike during season 2 that caused problems with productions. I think Shades of Gray was a direct result of that as well as it being a cheap clip show. Another thing that happened in season 2 were a number of stories originally conceived but not used for TOS were re-written for TNG. The writers' strike is a reason why there were only 22 episodes that year rather than the 26 that all of the other seasons had.

There was a writers' strike during season 2 that caused problems with productions.  I think Shades of Gray was a direct result of that as well as it being a cheap clip show.  Another thing that happened in season 2 were a number of stories originally conceived but not used for TOS were re-written for TNG.  The writers' strike is a reason why there were only 22 episodes that year rather than the 26 that all of the other seasons had.

Yup, they basically scrambled all season to put together episodes. A lot of them were written just days before shooting and sometimes were being re-written as the episodes were being shot.

wow, I though Shades of Gray was bad enough BEFORE you said (and I therefore realised) that he knew things about places and stuff when he wasn't even there. Good point...what were they thinking???

That is why when I try and pick an episode of TNG that I really didn't like I come up with Shades of Grey! The clips were kinda annoying!

I think it's the only one I didn't like...and hey, the clips were from good episodes, so...(ok, it was just a really bad episode...)

It is even sader since it is a season finale, and those episodes are often really good and well produced..

I must say, it is the first one that really SUCKS..

Yeah, that episode sucked really, really bad! speechless-smiley-011.gif But I'll still watch it every time it's on just to watch good Riker clips. :laugh:

Damn Clip show.  I hated that.  That's all they could afford to do at the end of season 2.

Season 3 almost ended with a Clipshow I think.

Ah, no. Season 3 ended with one of the best, popular and big budgeted episodes of the time...The Best of Both Worlds. Thank god we only had one clipshow but I was carious, what if Shades of gray happened later on like in the middle of season 6 or something. Would it have been better among the fans or had the same fan reaction as it is now. I actually liked Shades of Gray, even though I would have perfered season 2 ending with Peek Performance.

LOL, Sam. :laugh: :wub: Well, I think every series had at least one REALLY bad episode. TOS had Spock's Brain. TNG had Shades of Gray.

Shades of Grey is a TNG episode that EVEN Mystery Science Theater 3000 would NOT parody...that ep is THAT bad!! :wub:

SOG <(Ugh, even the abbreviation is bad!) was the worst st ever perhaps even worse than Spocks Brain :laugh:

Hey! Yillara_Soong, are you a MISTY too? :look: Start a thread!

I have to agree that SOG was the worst ST episode to date from any series, I even thought Spock's Brain was better.

SOG <(Ugh, even the abbreviation is bad!) was the worst st ever perhaps even worse than Spocks Brain :laugh:

Hey! Yillara_Soong, are you a MISTY too? :look:  Start a thread!

Yep, I am....used to catch it every Saturday morning on Sci-Fi!

But, they don't play reruns of it very often...at least from what I can see.....

Shades of grey. Yeah, i hate clip shows a la friends/simpsons/etc. Its funny that Riker's only negative memories are all from his time on the Enterprise and not before! K

You do have a point about the negative only being from his time on the Enterprise...but, think about it this way....(and no I am in no way deliberately defending this really crappy episode)..they would have had to get writers and actors to create scenes from Riker's time in the Academy and other ships....and this was a clip show BECAUSE of the strike...so they didn't have writers easily available and this show(if I am correct in remembering) was just basically a "Oh, crap we need to do something for an episode....so lets do a flashback one." Or something of the like...

SOG <(Ugh, even the abbreviation is bad!) was the worst st ever perhaps even worse than Spocks Brain B)

Hey! Yillara_Soong, are you a MISTY too? :laugh:  Start a thread!

LOL! :laugh: I keep on seeing the exact same half of Spocks Brain, but I've never seen the whole thing. I have to admit what I saw kind of sucked, though...

Funny....I actually thought 'Shades of Grey' was a pretty good episode!....IMO 'Loud as a Whisper' was the worst TNG episode ever!

Edited by Sman

I was just watching the season 2 finale Shades of gray, when Riker is infected by a microbe and only certain endorfins can remove them. Therefore he has to relive memories..

These memories really annoyed me, at many places he is unconscious or not even there, how can he remember things that he didn't know about? For example when Cap. Picard orders a transport on the bridge when he is down on a planet..

Where they really that bad at producing those days?  :angry:

I agree I am angry.

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: