Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

Episode Spotlight DS9

In the Pale Moonlight

320X240.jpg

The Dominion War is going badly, casualties are mounting and the Federation is in danger of losing the war.

Sisko determines to change the course of the war but how? The Federation needs a new ally that can help turn the tide and beat back the Dominion.

In one of the most powerful episodes of Deep Space Nine we are given a look into the darker side of a Starfleet Officer determined to win the war... at any cost!

Read the Episode Synopsis by clicking on the Spoiler below.

Click for Spoiler:

Sisko goes to great lengths to enlist Romulan support in the Dominion war.

Going over casualty lists, Sisko realizes there is only one hope of winning the war — the Romulans, who signed a non-aggression pact with the Dominion — must be convinced to join the Federation/Klingon Alliance. Sure that the Dominion will eventually invade Romulus anyway, Sisko recruits Garak to discreetly obtain evidence from Cardassia that will bring the Romulans into the war.

Sisko soon learns that several Cardassians expressed a willingness to help Garak, but all were killed within one day of speaking with him. Undaunted, Garak suggests that he and Sisko manufacture false evidence of an impending Dominion attack on Romulus, then call a secret meeting with a Romulan senator scheduled to be in the sector and present it to him. Frustration with the war convinces Sisko to agree, and when Garak recruits a condemned prisoner named Tolar to create the crucial evidence, the scheme begins.

Garak locates the Cardassian data rod necessary for the forgery, but Sisko must reluctantly trade a rare and dangerous compound for it. Then he, Garak, and Tolar get to work, creating a recording of a holographic meeting in which Weyoun, the Dominion leader, and Cardassia's Damar discuss plans to invade Romulus. Soon afterward, Senator Vreenak arrives.

Vreenak is condescending, sure that the Federation is about to fall to the Dominion. But when Sisko tells him the Dominion is planning to invade Romulus, Vreenak's mood changes. Sisko takes him to a secured holosuite and shows him the recording of the "meeting," after which Vreenak asks to examine the data rod. He later faces Sisko and announces that the rod is a fake.

A furious Vreenak leaves the station, vowing to expose Sisko to the entire Alpha Quadrant. Instead, the Romulan's shuttle explodes, killing him and damaging the forged data rod. An investigation points to the Dominion, but while the rest of his crew is ecstatic, Sisko is infuriated. He confronts Garak, who admits he suspected the rod might not pass inspection and placed a bomb on Vreenak's shuttle to guarantee the plan worked. Sure enough, it does — the Romulan Empire formally declares war against the Dominion. Sisko is upset to have lied and cheated, but with a possible victory finally in sight, he decides it's a feeling with which he can live.

~Synopsis from StarTrek.COM

One of my favorite DS9 episodes. For one thing Sisko and Garak had so little interaction throughout the series that it was a delight to get to see these two butt heads. Also it was nice to see a bit of moral ambivelance introduced to the Star Trek universe.

I Love This One. Absolutly Love It.

Sisko was so distraught by what he had done to get a new ally that he didn't even know what day it was when he started his log.

Brooks and Robinson Shine in this little Jewel Of Star Trek History.

This episode is one of my all-time favorites.

Here's another great example of DS9 breaking the mold of the oft-mentioned sanitary and organized setting of other of "Trek"'s.

I especially loved the way Avery Brooks looked straight at the camera at the end of the show. I got the feeling I was right there in the room with him.

Stingray

(I think I'll watch it again tonight after the kids go to bed). :o

This episode is one of my all-time favorites.

Here's another great example of DS9 breaking the mold of the oft-mentioned sanitary and organized setting of other of "Trek"'s.

I especially loved the way Avery Brooks looked straight at the camera at the end of the show.  I got the feeling I was right there in the room with him.

Stingray

(I think I'll watch it again tonight after the kids go to bed).  :laugh:

TO me, I believe this is my favorite of any episode of all the Star Treks. Avery Brooks brings such passion to Sisko, and yes at the end when he looks at the camera and says

Click for Spoiler:

"I can live with that" just awesome. Great way to end the episode, then he deletes the log entry... makes it like we were his "father confessor" and after he said his peace he wiped it out of the computer.

For anyone that hasn't seen this episode... WATCH IT! :o

Buying the DVD season sets is worth just for this episode. What a Fantastic show. Great to see Sisko and Garak get on each other like that. Yes, I agree that the end with Sisko staring into the camera is wonderful..On a scale of 1-10, I give it a 13..! :blink:

Buying the DVD season sets is worth just for this episode. What a Fantastic show. Great to see Sisko and Garak get on each other like that. Yes, I agree that the end with Sisko staring into the camera is wonderful..On a scale of 1-10, I give it a 13..! <_<

I've said many times on many forums, In The Pale Moonlight is (IMO) the very best Star Trek episode ever made. Avery Brooks performance in it was just so awesome.

For anyone that hasn't seen this episode... WATCH IT!  <_<

I would love to. But I don't have any DS9 DVDs and DS9 isn't on TV here.

Do you have high speed internet access?

For anyone that hasn't seen this episode... WATCH IT!  <_<

Yeah, I have DSL internet. Why, can you download episodes or something?

i downloaded it last nite and watched it over again...and my initial views on the episode were the same as the first time i saw it....

it was great to see how far a man would go to do what was right. "the good of the many outway the good of the few or the one" now with spock, he sacrificed his life to save the many, but in this episode, we see how far a noble lawabbiding star fleet captain will go to save the many... his actions with all the best intentions were flat out criminal... and yet, to save 500 billion lives in the contrasting side..its interesting to see the inner conflict as sisko is torn between the two...

i like to reserve 10s for the perfect episode, which ive never seen..but 9.5 for this one...next to TNG's inner light, one of the best hours ive ever spent in front of the TV (monitor rather)

This is easily one of the best episodes of DS9. The interaction between Sisko and Garak is fantastic..others have already posted about how good the interaction was, I'm just echoing their opinions!

For anyone that hasn't seen this episode... WATCH IT!  ;)

Yeah, I have DSL internet. Why, can you download episodes or something?

If you have a connection fast enough to make it worth it there are alot of places available that will allow you to download the episodes from the net.

You know, I never saw this episode when it aired on television. By season 6 we had absolutely no way to see DS9 regularly in our viewing area! I think we finally found it at 3 a.m. on a CBS affiliate, but even that wasn't guaranteed. You never knew when they were going to move it a half hour forward or backward or just not show it at all.

Thank God they finally put this show on DVD ... by this time tomorrow I will have all seven seasons of DS9 and all seven seasons of TNG. Between those and the ST movies I'll never have to watch regular television again.

NOW ... After finally getting to see season 6 I think "In the Pale Moonlight" is right up there in the top 5 episodes of this series. DS9 was just so wonderful in that all these side characters were practically part of the main cast. You never got that kind of character development, even with recurring characters like Q, on TOS, TNG or VOY. Garak is probably my favorite character, but as soon as I say that, I'm thinking but what about Quark? Odo? Sisko? Kira? Hell, even Vic Fontaine is growing on me. And I hated him before ... but because I never got to see much of season 6 I had no idea of his role in Kira and Odo's romance.

Kudos to Garak and Sisko (Robinson and Brooks) ... what an outstanding performance.