Sign in to follow this  
Jeanway

How Much to Build One Enterprise Today?

With all the great minds in here. How much do you think it would cost to build One Enterprise? And don't forget the giant cup-holders on the Bridge for your Big Gulp :P HHmmmmmm. And no fair saying 'A Gazillion Dollars' :o

Edited by Jeanway

OH MY, never considered that :P OK, Honestly, on time , on budget [ what ever that might be], no padding the bill. :o

well let's start at the beginning,

most of the technologies still have to be developed, the army spent $7 billion developing the Comanche helicopter and the project was cancelled.

it would have to be built in orbit so a permanant station would have to be built, say roughly $30 billion. That's how much the one being built now is costing

then you have the cost of the ship itself, as a guideline a aircraft carrier costs about $4.5

that would be a total of $41.5 billion, seems very low to me.

cash or credit? :o

It would have to be built in space?? Why? That's like saying a cruise ship has to be built at sea, no? That doesn't make sense. We have shipyards here on Earth. Complications already and we haven't even started :o

It would have to be built in space?? Why? That's like saying a cruise ship has to be built at sea, no? That doesn't make sense. We have shipyards here on Earth. Complications already and we haven't even started :o

Well Jeanway, there is a big differance from building a boat a few meters off the water then building a starship thousands of Kilometres from space.

It would have to be built in space?? Why? That's like saying a cruise ship has to be built at sea, no? That doesn't make sense. We have shipyards here on Earth. Complications already and we haven't even started :laugh:

Well Jeanway, there is a big differance from building a boat a few meters off the water then building a starship thousands of Kilometres from space.

Yes, but once completed, it could fly at impulse into space, no? I mean ships are built in buildings and towed to the water. The smaller ones anyway. Large ships are also built on land in 'ways'. Ways are like a huge cradle close to the shore so the tide comes up to it and floats it off shore. But I guess building it in space, I don't know just seems impracticle.

Edited by Jeanway

It would have to be built in space?? Why? That's like saying a cruise ship has to be built at sea, no? That doesn't make sense. We have shipyards here on Earth. Complications already and we haven't even started :laugh:

Yes, but once completed, it could fly at impulse into space, no? I mean ships are built in buildings and towed to the water. The smaller ones anyway. Large ships are also built on land in 'ways'. Ways are like a huge cradle close to the shore so the tide comes up to it and floats it off shore. But I guess building it in space, I don't know just seems impracticle.

Well, since it is a spaceship it would be practical to built it in space. A spaceship is not meant to operate in gravity enviroments..

I guess you could see it as constructing a tank under water, it could work but you have to make a lot of extra work just to get it out of there :laugh:

Doesn't the old Enterprise just do what it does in space? I mean Voyager could take off and land but I don't think any of the others could. So she would have to be built in space - I think that would be cheaper than building mother of all towing ships to get her up there.

Doesn't the old Enterprise just do what it does in space? I mean Voyager could take off and land but I don't think any of the others could. So she would have to be built in space - I think that would be cheaper than building mother of all towing ships to get her up there.

As far as I know you are right that Voyager is the only ship that can land and take off. The other ships only land if there is an emergency, and they can't take off without help.

O.K., Ad Hoc Committee needed to decide where this 'said' building should take place. :laugh::laugh: Any volunteers or are we going to discuss that too? :rofl:

How anyone gets anything done around here is beyond me :laugh:

Edited by Jeanway

I think it would be awesome if the world got started with the creation of a deep space exploration ship, I think it would really bring the world together again... :laugh:

With all the great minds in here.  How much do you think it would cost to build One Enterprise? And don't forget the giant cup-holders on the Bridge for your Big Gulp :laugh: HHmmmmmm. And no fair saying 'A Gazillion Dollars' :laugh:

We don't have the technology to build such a ship nor are the nations of Earth in any condition to attempt such a sovereign endeavor.

Just a rough estimate, but if you took all the money that all the countries and all the people in the world make over the next ten years, you would have a nice 1% downpayment on the entire project. :laugh:

That is 1% +/- 0.99999%.

Edited by edmcgon

300000 billion dollars

And then thats because some buerocratic adds a couple of billion dollers worth of crap you donnot need :laugh: