Sign in to follow this  
mj

My African violets are blooming

First time I started a thread. Don't know if this is going to work.

But I had to tell you that my wonderful Afrcan violets, in concert with the arrival of Spring outside, are blooming in my condo! They even chose to start blooming before my mother left, so she had a chance to see how beautiful they are.

Two of my five plants are in bloom. One has shimmering lilac-colored flowers, with petals that look like fine glitter has been sprinkled on them. It has bloomed in a single, rich montone bouquet in the center of the plant. I have had this plant a little over a year.

The second plant in bloom has deep, red violet flowers that are just opening. There are four individual bouquets in the making, ringing the central leaves. They are very nice to look at. I have had this plant about 12 years.

My peace lilies are also in bloom. One I have had about twelve years, and the other about five years.

And as this is South, the fragrant dogwoods are in bloom all over. The falling petals look like snow as they cover the ground around some trees.

I hope you are able to enjoy the beauty of Spring, if you are the "Spring " hemisphere!

^

^

^

BEAUTIFUL description. I enjoyed that. Matches my mood right now. Need to hear talk of Spring and Hope. I'm glad you started this thread. My Jungle Room is also in bloom. When I water everything, the whole room smells like I'm outside in the forest on a beautiful, spring morning. :picard-sith:

The Carolinas. This is actually a little earlier then my apartment flowers ususally bloom also. In the past they would begin blooming around May (if they bloomed at all-- the violets do not always bloom...), and last through June. This is early for my plants also.

It could be because they are in a new environment that is a lot brighter than even my former place, which had skylights, but almost all indirect light. My current place has mixture of direct sunlight and bright indirect light.

Edited by mjham

If you grow them under fluorescent lighting, they'll bloom all year. :laugh: A good fertilizer helps, too. A 14-12-14 is good for African violets. I use Optimara.

The cherry blossoms are out here in Japan a little earlier than usual, too. There's a small canal lined with trees hanging over the path on one side near my home, so I'd been going jogging more often this past week to make sure I don't miss them this year and was rewarded today. They only last for about a week and I've had the bad luck of having it rain several years in a row on my days off.

Here are some pictures near where I live (not taken by me I'm afraid to say):

Click me

If you click next, the first two are where I jog.

Here's a link to the index for other pics of cherry blossoms in Kyoto (or at least most of them are in Kyoto).

Index of Pics

Edited by Red Shirt Volunteer

We still have snow here (northern Sweden), but in about a month there will be green grass again, I can't wait! :dude:

The cherry blossoms are out here in Japan a little earlier than usual, too.  There's a small canal lined with trees hanging over the path on one side near my home, so I'd been going jogging more often this past week to make sure I don't miss them this year and was rewarded today.  They only last for about a week and I've had the bad luck of having it rain several years in a row on my days off.

Here are some pictures near where I live (not taken by me I'm afraid to say)

Those were such wonderful pictures! You know they say a picture is worth a thousand words, and you have just eloquently shared the beauty of Japan! Thank you so much. If I ever have the opportunity to visit Japan, I will insist on going in the Spring to Kyoto!

And what an exquisite path to jog along!

But I actually have a favorite picture out of all those slide! It is one labelled "Byodo-in Temple." It reminds me of our dogwoods here!

Thanks again for sharing!

Those were such  wonderful pictures! You know they say a picture is worth a thousand words, and you have just eloquently shared the beauty of Japan! Thank you so much. If I ever have the opportunity to visit Japan, I will insist on going in the Spring to Kyoto! 

And what an exquisite path to jog along!

But I actually have a favorite picture out of all those slide! It is one labelled "Byodo-in Temple." It reminds me of our dogwoods here!

Thanks again for sharing!

Oh, glad you (and others) enjoyed them, mjham. Byodo-in is very peaceful, as are all the temples and shrines around the city. My favourite is Nanzenji, which I can access by walking or cycling along the path in those pictures then over a small mountain.

I think you'd really enjoy it if you were to come at this time of year but it's quite risky since there's a high chance of missing the cherry blossoms. However, although Japan is a smallish country, if you move from south to north there's a high chance since it spans a fairly long distance.

The autumn is even better in my opinion as the mountains change from green to varying shades of red, orange and yellow. And the weather is more stable at that time, too.

Cheers,

RSV