Sign in to follow this  
Jeanway

Less IS More

I guess it's just my philosophy for life. This never-ending treadmill of more, bigger, better. I jumped off it a few years ago. I will not be dictated to by those trying to sell me something. If I don't want it, can't see a need for it, just leave me alone! I guess I could be termed a 'minimalist' now. I have downsized my life to just what I really need. Smaller car, smaller dishes and glasses, fewer people running in and out of here. Just smaller everything. Smaller portions of food, simpler more healthy foods, I only spend money if I really NEED something. There are things we need and things we want. People don't need the things they want. You need the things you need. Wanting and Needing are two different things. Can you honestly separate your Needs from your Wants? Or are you a sucker for a salespitch? :)

I separate my needs from my wants. I always read the fine print and stop my ears from hearing the catchy jingle. I've got remote in hand to zap away the unwelcome images from being crammed into my eyes or to mute the volume of any subliminal messages embedded in the ads. They can take their "new and improved" everything and show it a warm dark spot.

It's all a matter of balance. I'm not a sucker for a salespitch but neither am I going to deprive myself of things I want. If I've taken care of my needs and still have some money left over you better believe I'm going to sip a caramel frappuccino and flip through Glamour magazine while my toes are being done. Why not enjoy some luxuries? As long as you make sure your families needs are put first I see nothing wrong with indulging a few wants.

I think what it comes down to is the fact that we buy too many "luxuries". It gets to the point that the maintenance of the luxuries becomes a hassal. Keep it simple stupid :) All these cell phones, all the features, all the PDA's, all the fancy little gadgets that take forever to learn how to use, then you but a new one, and have to learn that too. Too much hassal, and how often are these features even useful? Do they enhance our lives or hinder them. These wants are not needs, and they certainly aren't what we REALLY want. I like this topic... it's good for a ramble!

I separate my needs from my wants. I always read the fine print and stop my ears from hearing the catchy jingle. I've got remote in hand to zap away the unwelcome images from being crammed into my eyes or to mute the volume of any subliminal messages embedded in the ads. They can take their "new and improved" everything and show it a warm dark spot.

AHMM, ::whispers:: come here. Are you the same Alterego that's the Head of the Mod Squad? " warm dark spot" and what exactly does that mean? :)

I think what it comes down to is the fact that we buy too many "luxuries".  It gets to the point that the maintenance of the luxuries becomes a hassal.  Keep it simple stupid :)  All these cell phones, all the features, all the PDA's, all the fancy little gadgets that take forever to learn how to use, then you but a new one, and have to learn that too.  Too much hassal, and how often are these features even useful?  Do they enhance our lives or hinder them.  These wants are not needs, and they certainly aren't what we REALLY want.  I like this topic... it's good for a ramble!

*hugs super fancy picture phone with internet access* Hey it was a gift! :blink:

I'm not a sucker for a sales pitch...but I have a lot of stuff I don't need....I

like things, gadgets...I just bought a portable DVD player...I didn't need it

but I wanted it and I did comparison shopping for 3 days and made a decision

and it wasn't impulse....I never impulse buy and I never use credit except for

major things like home and car and somtimes Christmas.....

Less is more, but more is well....MORE whoopee

*does a mad dash down Oxford street buying all the things she wants!*

lets see like having auburn red hair, a good sense of humour well on that basis yes. Oh wait you are cooler than me! darn we can't be time delayed twins. Can I be your little sis in that case??? lol

I spend too much time on Oxford street and Tottenham court road. Thank god my student Loan comes in soon!!! SHOPPING ALERT!!!

Woo hoo! I have a little sis! Let's go shopping sis, I need...uh...I mean want a new bikini.

How does my termly loan of £1100+ sound like. Cause I plan on spending the load big sis!!!

Government sponsered shopping spree (The loan is via the gov) that is soo cool

Edited by Unadopted Angelic

Government sponsered shopping spree (The loan is via the gov) that is soo cool

Thanks to Robert's student loans the government paid for my tattoos and navel piercing. :)

£1100

How much in that in American dollars? :blink:

Woo hoo! Nordstroms here we come! c_crazy.gif

Oh man we took this so far off topic. Sorry jeanway :) Ok, back on topic.

Not a sucker for the sales pitch I genuinely want and need new clothes be it from a dept store or charity shop. Have dropped a major amount of weight recently and so I need a new wardrobe. My skirts literally fall off of me and jeans are in constant need of pulling up, I have one pair that in general I walk too fast or run 2 meters and they fall down a little too far.

All my tops are too big and my bras are to small in one place and too big in another. I am cursed and blesed at the same time.

Woo hoo! Nordstroms here we come! c_crazy.gif

Oh man we took this so far off topic. Sorry jeanway :) Ok, back on topic.

Hey, no problem. where'd you get the bouncing shopper ball, I like that :elephant:

This thread reminds me of one of my favorite books... "Fight Club." (And yes, the book was made into a movie... :) )

The following quotes might illustrate my point...

"The things you own end up owning you."

-- and --

"It's only after you've lost everything that you're free to do anything."

Edited by shadowfigment

Hey, no problem.  where'd you get the bouncing shopper ball, I like that :)

Bysty used it once and I stole it. Feel free to steal it from me. :elephant: