Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Kinder, Gentler Prisons

From the Calgary Sun

Wed, March 17, 2004

Prison guards forbidden to wear protective gear

By DOUG BEAZLEY, SUN MEDIA

EDMONTON -- Corrections Canada won't let guards at maximum security prisons wear stab-proof vests because it sends a confrontational "signal" to prisoners. "If you have that kind of presence symbolized by (a stab-proof vest), you're sending a signal to the prisoner that you consider him to be a dangerous person," said Tim Krause.

"It interferes with what we call 'dynamic security.' We want staff to talk to prisoners, to see how they're doing."

Last month, Sun Media reported a guard at the Edmonton Institution was threatened with disciplinary action several times by prison brass for wearing a self-purchased stab-proof vest on the job.

The guard, who asked not to be named, said he intends to keep wearing the Kevlar vest.

"Yes, I'm violating the rules. But management is stepping on my right to defend myself," he said.

Kevin Grabowsky, of the Union of Canadian Correctional Officers, said the notion that inmates might be "offended" is a "complete crock."

Stardate:214230.7

If i was a prison guard there I would wear the vest even if they threatened to fire me.At any given moment a prisioner could try to stab you and I wouldnt want to be the one getting shanked.

Yeh and I agree wit that Kevin Grabowsky.Thats a bunch of BS.I could care less if im a prison guard and the prisoners are offended by me.They dont like it then they shouldnt be there.Also prisioners are gonna be offended by the m anyways.WHY? Because they are in prision and you are a prision guard!!!! DUH!!!! :hug::hug:

Ya I heard about that (probably because I live in Edmonton). That is crap. The prisoners are not going to suddenly be nicer if the guards are less protected. The guards need protection.

I would not want to be a prison guard in the first place! :wow: But I agree with what the other posters have said- ridiculous. They are prisoners for light's sake! They are there precisely because they are dangerous!

The PC police strike again! :cops:

Maybe soldiers shouldn't carry guns so enemy soldiers won't be offended? (didn't they already try this in France?) :wow: