Sign in to follow this  
Red Shirt Volunteer

How do you calculate your salary?

Here's an interesting article off the BBC that gave me a chuckle. You might be interested in this if you're a musician. Just wondering what everyone's take is on this one. How they can put their salary down to the points described here is beyond me.

Violinists' fury at 'pay fiddle'

Violinists are seeking an extra £60 per rehearsal or performance

Violinists in a German orchestra are suing for a pay rise on the grounds that they play many more notes per concert than their colleagues.

The 16 violinists at the Beethoven Orchestra in Bonn say they work much harder than their fellow musicians.

But orchestra director Laurentius Bonitz said it was unreasonable to compare playing a musical instrument to other jobs.

Mr Bonitz said the claim, which goes to court in May, was "ridiculous".

The violinists say they should receive an extra £60 per rehearsal or performance from their employer, the city of Bonn, to reflect the "extra notes" they have to read and play.

They also claim that a collective bargaining agreement that gives bonuses to soloists is unjust.

Leading roles

German musicians earn basic monthly wages of up to £4,100, about twice as much as their British counterparts, according to the Daily Telegraph newspaper.

The musicians deny being pedantic. "We could have calculated the surcharge per semi-quaver, but we chose to take an easier course," one violinist said.

But Mr Bonitz argued that it was soloists and musicians in other leading roles, such as the orchestra's two oboe players, who should receive a pay rise.

"Maybe it's an interesting legal question but musically, it's very clear to everyone," he said.

Here's the link for it: Pay Fiddle

OMG. I heard about this on the radio and I was amazed and appalled. I couldn't believe it. Good grief how pathetic. Are they suggesting that playing eight eighth-notes is harder than holding a whole note or resting for a measure. You have to stay on stage, count and come in on time no matter how many notes you play.

This flies in the face of what an orchestra is. All the instruments work together for the good of the whole. I could go on and on. I just can't believe it. :hug::hug::hug:

notes are notes. I personally play two instruments piano and violin, but can also play the pipe organ. I also sang in a myriad of choirs. Every musician should get the same amount of pay except the section chair. they have the most difficult parts. They also are assigned solos. They also sometimes form chamber groups from different section chairs. The director should be paid the most as he arranges all the music, and conducts the orchestr, sometimes with a choir.

I am so completely unmusical, it is not even funny, but I also think this is ridiculous. It is like any other team activity- individual people, but all one team. Then again though, I have no clue how difficult violin or any other instrument is. Maybe you should ask TsonofVulcan... he is really musical...