Sign in to follow this  
SpocksBrain

Plato's Stepchildren

Yes, it is a great episode. Is this the first time you've seen it, SpocksBrain?

Yes today I watched it for the first time. My favorite scene is when Alexander rides Kirk and Kirk starts whinnying like a horse. Also, some trivia I found out, this episode contains the first interracial kiss between a white and black person, although I'm not sure I would have called that thing a kiss... :unsure:

It's a very funny episode....

silly like these purple elephants....

:unsure:

:unsure:

Yes today I watched it for the first time. My favorite scene is when Alexander rides Kirk and Kirk starts whinnying like a horse. Also, some trivia I found out, this episode contains the first interracial kiss between a white and black person, although I'm not sure I would have called that thing a kiss... :huh:

Yeah, that caused a lot of controversy. I also liked that we got to hear Spock sing.

Yes today I watched it for the first time. My favorite scene is when Alexander rides Kirk and Kirk starts whinnying like a horse. Also, some trivia I found out, this episode contains the first interracial kiss between a white and black person, although I'm not sure I would have called that thing a kiss... :huh:

Yeah, that caused a lot of controversy. I also liked that we got to hear Spock sing.

Haha! You can hear him sing here too:

http://www.wiegout.com/josh/bbaggins.mov

Enjoy!

OMGosh, I used to have that album on vinyl. I probably still have it somewhere. I wonder if it's available on CD? I really liked some of the songs.

OMGosh, I used to have that album on vinyl.  I probably still have it somewhere.  I wonder if it's available on CD?  I really liked some of the songs.

He has a much better voice than shatner, hehehe! There is a double disc import on amazon with both of the actors singing their songs, it even has the Ballad of Bilbo Baggins HERE

http://www.wiegout.com/josh/funstuff.html

For the episode, I think I'd give it about a 9/10.

Edited by Indy

For the episode, I think I'd give it about a 9/10.

I agree, for overall quality of production it would be like a 4/10, but it 's just so enjoyable to watch it is like a 9 or a 10. :huh:

It was okay but I kind of think that the last seasons episodes were slipping in the quality department.

To some extent, that was true. There were definitely some really bad episodes during season three. But, I feel there were some good ones as well. Along with this episode, Plato's Stepchildren, these are some I thought were pretty good:

Requiem for Methuselah

All Our Yesterdays

Let That Be Your Last Battlefield

Spectre of the Gun

I also wondered if the series had lasted a little longer if we might have seen Alexander again.

Those are all good, Indy. I also liked: "For the World is Hollow, and I Have Touched the Sky" and "The Tholian Web".

The former I recently saw for the first time and it was one of the most emotional episodes of TOS i'd ever seen.

Agreed, those are also good ones. I believe "For the World is Hollow, And I Have Touched the Sky" has the distinction of being the episode with the longest name in all of Trek.

PS Rocks! Sure some of the events occurring on screen are silly looking but the cause for those events were explorations of the emerging drug culture. Back then; writers had the luxury of not worrying about canon as much as writers do today so could devote more time to studying the issues of the day, in this case LSD use and its perceived effects on the users abilities. Mind control was the key issue with LSD.

I too enjoyed Plato's Stepchildren even though it was silly at times..My favorite part is when they made Spock sing! I liked Alexander a lot..Too bad he never had the chance to re-appear in another Trek adventure..Sure season 3 of TOS had some real bad episodes but it also had some good ones too..Along with PS my favs are..

All Our Yesterdays, Tholian Web, Spectre of the Gun, Let that be your last Battlefied, The Cloud Minders, The Enterprise Incident and If the World is Hollow I have Touched the Sky..

It was okay but I kind of think that the last seasons episodes were slipping in the quality department.

To some extent, that was true. There were definitely some really bad episodes during season three. But, I feel there were some good ones as well. Along with this episode, Plato's Stepchildren, these are some I thought were pretty good:

Requiem for Methuselah

All Our Yesterdays

Spectre of the Gun

Agreed, season three was perhaps the weakest of the three seasons that the show lasted, but there were still more fine episodes than most television shows. Some of my favourite episodes from season three are:

The Enterprise Incident

For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky

The Lights of Zetar

The Cloud Minders

All Our Yesterdays

The episode had some great messages. Power currupts is one. Also, just because you may be small and weak, does not mean that it is impossible to obtain strength. The last part refers to Alexander.

Edited by Data

The episode had some great messages. Power currupts is one. Also, just because you may be small and weak, does not mean that it is impossible to obtain strength. The last part refers to Alexander.

Agreed, Data. I thought the message about the misuse of power was important and very well-done in this episode. It perfectly illustrates again how science fiction can be used as a vehicle to make such statements.

Season 3 of TOS wasn't one of my favorite seasons in Trekdom. This was a good episode but in the third season the quality of the writing had fallen off quite a bit.

Spock sings in that episode, I quite like it, but I have problems with calling it playdoe's stepchildren. But my dad always makes fun of things in everything so I do too. Try going frame by frame through out the show, you will see what I mean. :picard-sith:

I have to say that I was bored sensless by Plato's Stepchildren. I can see the value in the story and the historical controversy of 'that kiss' but i just dont like it.

It's unbelieveable to look at the fuss created regarding "the kiss" -- 40 years later. First of all, they had to be "forced" to do it. That was probably the only way to get it past the NBC censors. Secondly, Kirk and Uhura talked through practically the entire thing. And when they weren't talking Kirk was glowering at the Platonians -- so it was quite obvious nobody was having a good time.

copper.gif

It's unbelieveable to look at the fuss created regarding "the kiss" -- 40 years later.  First of all, they had to be "forced" to do it.  That was probably the only way to get it past the NBC censors.  Secondly, Kirk and Uhura talked through practically the entire thing.  And when they weren't talking Kirk was glowering at the Platonians -- so it was quite obvious nobody was having a good time.

copper.gif

I agree with this description.

ive actually heard two stories on the kiss... one was that shanter insited he would do it and spock was supposed to at first.. the second was that kirk was written in origionally to do it.. which is rite?

Yes, Plato's Stepchildren was a great episode. It was very funny. The first show that showed an interracial kiss. Even though I wasn't born at the time, I heard from my mother and TV that it caused an uproar with NBC sensors. ;)

Other than the forced kiss as some call it, the episode was great. As I heard it years later from a friend of mine. Capt. Kirk had to be the one to kiss Uhura because he was the Captain. :naughty:

GREAT EPISODE ESPECIALLY WHEN ALEXANDER HOPS ON CAPT. KIRK'S BACK AND BEGINS TO RIDE HIM LIKE A HORSE. :bow: