Sign in to follow this  
Captain Bolivar

Xindi subspecies are not subspecies

According to the paragraph and link below, because a subspecies is subordinate to a species, (a furthur grouping of a species) a group of one subspecies must be able to mate with another subspecies. I do not see how any of the Xindi subspecies is similar enough to breed. Can you imagine a Xindi-Humanoid producing offspring with a Xindi-Aquatic? I can't. What would it's child look like? Would it swim? Would it walk? There is no way that a Xindi-Humanoid-Aquatic child could be viable. Therfore, the Xindi subspecies are not subspecies but, are instead, distinct species. What do you think about that?

A species is a set of actually or potentially interbreeding organisms. Note that the distinction between a species and a subspecies depends only on the likelihood that (absent external barriers) the two populations would merge back into a single, genetically unified population. It has nothing to do with 'how different' the two groups appear to be to the human observer. Click here to read about subspecies

Edited by Captain Bolivar

A jargon? Jargon are the words that a specifc group of people use... for example, police officers might use the term B&E rather than a burglary (P.S. those two are actually different things) If it is just jargon then there would have to be more technical names for each "sub species"... ie: the names of the species themselves

Can't argue with that - there are five (originally six) species of Xindi only linked by the fact that they developed simultaneously on one planet. They are closely linked at the genetic level as pointed out by Phlox but to call them sub species is incorrect. This infers that there is a dominant species to which the others are subordinate and there has been nothing to suggest this is the case.

For it's ecosystem to have devloped in this way Xindia (or whatever it was called) must have been a pretty unique place.

Bolivar, you've got a point there. It's so obvious I'm amazed nobody has every brought it up before, but it's just another example of some of the haphazard writing in Ent. at times (love it though I do). Ah, well, back on topic...

I was just wondering, if an insectoid and humanoid or any of the other Xindi attempted to mate,

(edited for sexual content) :huh:

freaky Red Shirt!!!

Click for Spoiler:

i think Insectoid

anyhoo, maybe they are all united for the moment?

freaky Red Shirt!!! 

Click for Spoiler:

i think Insectoid

anyhoo, maybe they are all united for the moment?

Hey man,

Yeah, united. Like a bunch of hillbillies.

Click for Spoiler:

And I agree on the Insectoid thing.

By the way, nice website - some of the links won't fly for me, though (maybe my firewall?).

i think that they just refer to all native of the planet as xindi aand by sub sspecies they just mean one of that planets "races" but yes it is incorrect termonoligy!

Yeah, I'm also thinking that the insectoids might be cannibalistic.  That is after mating, the female would probably eat the male.  Yum!

Yes, bugs eat bugs

And I may have mentioned the term 'subspecies' in another thread. Perhaps I mis-spoke. Sorry. Please accept my most humble apology. :) I shall procede to the dungeon and commence with the self-flogging :blink: AGAIN!