Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

Just Heard On Fox

Patrick Stewart has said he is finished playing Capt. Picard and thinks the TNG movies are now complete.

I'll look for some links online for this too.

NO! but at the moment, I'd take almost anything...

(Do the movie on Riker's ship...there are still plenty of ways to bring Data back!)

He say's that now but if a good script comes his way I'm sure he will change his mind. He didn't say he didn't want to play Picard, just that he thinks TNG has run it's course.

It's not like when Nimoy said he would never played Spock again.

UNLESS....! Would TNG be TNG without Captain Picard?

NO!

It's bad enough without Data, I don't think I could watch it without either of them. ;) They'd have to get really creative with the writting to pull this one off.

From Trektoday

While in New York to promote the upcoming genre sequal X2: X-Men United this week, Patrick Stewart (Jean-Luc Picard) said he is unlikely to return to the role which made him a household name.

"I've probably said goodbye to Picard forever now," Stewart told Lisa Zlotnick at Cinema Confidential.

While there was talk of further TNG adventures if Star Trek Nemesis had done well at the box office, the film's lukewarm reception has all but ruled that out. "I think the Next Generation is over with," the actor said.

Stewart said the part of the tunic-tugging Enterprise captain has affected his chances of scoring certain types of roles. "You want to be seen as an actor, and not as somebody who can be stereotyped and written off," he told New York Newsday. According to the web site, one role Stewart was rejected for went to an actor who won an Academy Award for the part.

The actor has also had his fair share of encounters with obsessive Trek fans over the years. One incident at a performance of a Shakespeare play sorely tested Stewart's resolve. "I went on stage at the Broadhurst Theater as Prospero in The Tempest, only to find two people sitting in the front row in Starfleet uniforms, and I wanted to hurt them."

To read more from Stewart, head over to Cinema Confidential and New York Newsday. United Press International has also posted a short interview with the actor here. Thanks to 'OdoGoddess' for some of this!

This was the story. I can't say I blame him. I mean his incident with the 2 "Fans" are why I don't go to conventions. Why must people insult those who try to entertain us by being that obsessive? It almost makes me puke being a trek fan.

As with his Oscer comment, if it was him, he might not of gotten the oscer. That deserves a ;)

Well that clinches it, brace yourself-it's over. UNLESS....! Would TNG be TNG without Captain Picard?

Absolutly not. Patrick Stewarts portrayal of picard with his great talent was one aspect that made TNG so well done. You have no Picard and no Data. I'm sorry, but thats not TNG.

I still have hope, There have been many quotes from actors in Trek in the past that were similar or more harsh that did not turn out to be reality. Just look at Spock.

I still have hope, There have been many quotes from actors in Trek in the past that were similar or more harsh that did not turn out to be reality.  Just look at Spock.

Or Data. Every TNG movie starting with Generations has had a rumour that Data would be killed because Brent Spiner didn't want to play him anymore and yet he has been in every movie. Even with the apparent death of Data there is still B4 there for the next movie.

I still have hope, There have been many quotes from actors in Trek in the past that were similar or more harsh that did not turn out to be reality.  Just look at Spock.

Or Data. Every TNG movie starting with Generations has had a rumour that Data would be killed because Brent Spiner didn't want to play him anymore and yet he has been in every movie. Even with the apparent death of Data there is still B4 there for the next movie.

That is right, EVERY movie had rumors that the TNG movies would end, adn EVERY movie had rumors of Data being killed.....I really don't think the end is quite here....Who Knows?

Keep in mind also that Patrick Stewart is out promoting ANOTHER movie, namely X-men. Perhaps he is trying to take the focus away from Star Trek at this moment. And maybe he thinks that if his fans believe that he won't do another Star Trek, they will more likely go see him in X-men.

I don't blame Stewart at all. I agree that TNG has run it's course. But why does everyone keep saying "the end"? It's fantasy. It keeps going in our minds and hearts. It will never end.

Or Data.  Every TNG movie starting with Generations has had a rumour that Data would be killed because Brent Spiner didn't want to play him anymore and yet he has been in every movie.  Even with the apparent death of Data there is still B4 there for the next movie.

You are right. And besides B4 their is still the character of Lore, last I heard he was simply disasembled (Or am I wrong, I have not seen Decent in a while) and who knows for sure that there is not another Soong android out there somewhere. TNG Lives. Besides if Stewart does not want to come back they could always find a way for Data to have survived and let him be the Captain.

Guest Ktrek

I'm not sure Data would make a good captain (no offense Soong sisters). His reasoning abilities would far exceed everyone else onboard but he lacks an important trait that every good captain and leader has.....intuition! Kirk, Picard, Janeway and Sisko all made many decisions not necessarliy based on reason but based on their intuition combined with reason and facts. I'm not saying he couldn't be captain but in critical moments he would have to be more dependent on the instincts of his fellow officers. Just my opinion. ;)

Ktrek

hmm... could TNG go on withouth Picard..

could TNG go on without Picard AND Data? NOOOOO!

It's over.. they have to think of something else for the next movie, mixed cast would be the best choice

Well...as Q said

"Goodbye Jean-Luc, I'm going to miss you.

You had such potential, but then again all good things must come to an end."

So true but as much as i will miss TNG i really would love a DS9 movie

I'm not sure Data would make a good captain (no offense Soong sisters). His reasoning abilities would far exceed everyone else onboard but he lacks an important trait that every good captain and leader has.....intuition! Kirk, Picard, Janeway and Sisko all made many decisions not necessarliy based on reason but based on their intuition combined with reason and facts. I'm not saying he couldn't be captain but in critical moments he would have to be more dependent on the instincts of his fellow officers. Just my opinion.  ;)

Ktrek

No offense taken. We may be nuts but we're nice nuts! ;)

I thought Data did a really good job in the episodes where he was a captain or acting captain, mainly Redemption Part II and especially in Gambit. If Worf had been acting captain in Gambit I'm sure Picard and Riker would have ended up dead. I think Data would make a good captain (you knew I was going to say that) as I think his strengths would outweigh his weaknesses.

one of the big things we have to consider with Data is that we really did not get to see him adjust to having the chip much, so we really don't know if he could have intuition.

I look forward (on pins and needles) to the release of X-Men. I loved the first one and could not have imagined ANYONE who was more perfect as Professor X. But if Patrick is offered a nice deal to make a new Trek movie, do you really think he woudl say no?

If the script is good, he'll be there!!! I think they are all disappointed over the box office for Nemesis so they might still be hurting over that. But when all is said and done, a great script and hanging out with each other is probably enough for most of the cast to do another. I have always thought that is one of the reasons TNG was so successful the cast all genuinely like each other and hang out together!

i dont think Nemesis achievements on the box office is a negative thing, more likely is that Stewart would return because he feels he want's to end on the top :D

I'm not sure Data would make a good captain (no offense Soong sisters). His reasoning abilities would far exceed everyone else onboard but he lacks an important trait that every good captain and leader has.....intuition! Kirk, Picard, Janeway and Sisko all made many decisions not necessarliy based on reason but based on their intuition combined with reason and facts. I'm not saying he couldn't be captain but in critical moments he would have to be more dependent on the instincts of his fellow officers. Just my opinion.  :)

Ktrek

No offense taken. We may be nuts but we're nice nuts! :D

I thought Data did a really good job in the episodes where he was a captain or acting captain, mainly Redemption Part II and especially in Gambit. If Worf had been acting captain in Gambit I'm sure Picard and Riker would have ended up dead. I think Data would make a good captain (you knew I was going to say that) as I think his strengths would outweigh his weaknesses.

Well at least Picard isn't DEAD!! I said TNG would be nothing w/o Data, but w/o both of them? No chance!!

About the intuition thing...READ IMMORTALL COIL!! hehehe.

Dr Soong gave Data the ability to evolve, and although I don't think he was quite ready for being a full-time captain just yet, I'm sure he could have gotten there relatively quickly (Redemption Part 2 and Gambit!!! Ok, you said that already, but there you go!)

Nuts? We're not nuts!! flshglafdhg bibble babble...

Yes, anyways...we'd never hurt anyone for having an opinion. We don't have to agree with everything everyone says. (And we know he has faults like anyone else, so how can we get mad at someone for pointing one out? We love him despite them...or because of them? :D :D lol :D)

I feel your pain (sort of) and here is what I think, I think Spock got another chance at life and somewhere, somehow, be it in another film or a novel (Would that be ok?) Data will rise from the ashes!

Of course a novel would be ok! (I'd prefer to see it though...no, not because of him. Well, yes. But also because I want my other 2 TNG movies!!) the only problem is, m bookshelves are so full, I don't know where I'd put it. I guuess Id add it to the mess on the floor...

book form "Data the Phoenix" is cool. the sisters and i have bounced back an forth the idea of doing one ourselves, but...

But still...i think we may hear more on this story before its over.

That's true, but if all this turns out to be true and we never have another TNG movie, the books are all we have left.

grasping at straws here...