Sign in to follow this  
Jim Phaserman

Starships and Submarines

Okay, you've heard me talk about how I wanted to be in subs because they were like starships. How different are they, really?

Similarities

• Both are designed to protect crews from inhospitable environments
  • they operate well within environments humans find unlivable.
  • they are designed in compartments, so that in the event of disaster, survivors could hold out for rescue.

Guest Personal Jesus

I think I remember reading somewhere that the set designers spent some time on a naval carrier before designing the NX-01 Enterprise's interior.

I think I remember reading somewhere that the set designers spent some time on a naval carrier before designing the NX-01 Enterprise's interior.

They spent time on a submarine. In turns of "design", I'm sure future space ships might have a lot in common with submarines, but I think the similarity would end there. :blink:

Guest Personal Jesus

It is possible that Star Trek could inspire future designs. Who knows, we might have a fleet of ships in the future that look different externally, but use a similar main bridge design seen on television "right now."

CJLP is right, the similarities end there. when a sub gets a hull breach, it's done. when a starship gets a hullbreach, it can survive.

Starships and subs are little similar, but often work in vastly different manners:

- In a sub the pressure is trying to crush it, in a starship there is no outside pressure and everything wants to push outward.

- A sub has lots to move through and so would need constant propeller power to move bt a starship in space (at sub-light) needs only to fire the rockets once and coast the rest of the way with near-zero drag.

etc...

comforts such as holodeck and such...

submarine has no room....

Seeing as how I've spent so much time on both - :)

In the similar category - you're in an artificial environment and your life depends on the proper functioning of the ship (and it's crew). Your world is limited to the people aboard your ship - other than electronic communication and often not even that. You occasionally return to the world of earth and sun for maintenance, leave etc.

Dissimilar - starships have more places to be alone and showers don't seem to be timed. Starships have quarters not cabins and they are somewhat larger than a sub's - hallways are wider and you have turbolifts instead of ladders.

A perfect example in last episode of Enterprise. They went from air to sea.

This thread reminds me of the TOS episode "Balance of Terror", which was supposed to be similar to the old WWII submarine movies.

If you throw in the cloaking factor, there is a definite strategic similarity.