Page 1 of 28

Directed by

Zack Snyder

Writing credits (WGA)

George A. Romero (1978 screenplay)

James Gunn (screenplay)

Add to

MyMovies Photos Showtimes

Genre: Action / Horror / Drama / Thriller (more)

Tagline: When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth.

Plot Outline: The survivors of a worldwide plague that is producing the flesh-hungry undead, take refuge in a mega shopping mall. (more) (view trailer)

User Comments: Hallelujah...the dead rise once more! (more)

User Rating: 7.6/10 (179 votes)

Cast overview, first billed only:

Sarah Polley .... Ana

Ving Rhames .... Kenneth

Jake Weber .... Michael

Mekhi Phifer .... Andre

Ty Burrell .... Steve

Michael Kelly .... CJ

Kevin Zegers .... Terry

Michael Barry .... Bart

Lindy Booth .... Nicole

Jayne Eastwood .... Norma

Boyd Banks .... Tucker

Inna Korobkina .... Luda

R.D. Reid .... Glen

Kim Poirier .... Monica

Matt Frewer .... Frank

(more)

MPAA: Rated R for pervasive strong horror violence and gore, language and sexuality.

Language: English

Color: Color

Certification: USA:R / Netherlands:16

DAWN OF THE...

Also available:

Auctions

Memorabilia

Books

All Products

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

User Comments:

(acidxian)

Another Mall

Date: 16 March 2004

Summary: Hallelujah...the dead rise once more!

MINOR SPOILERS

I have to admit when I first heard about this film being in development, I was cynical. I figured it would turn out to be yet another boring MTV-style horror movie with nubile porcelain-faced women and lithe gymnast men being hounded by whatever threat the CGI effects could conjure up. I figured it was a cash-in.

In a sense it is all of these things. But I have to say that I also found the remake of "Dawn of the Dead" to be enjoyable, intense, and often downright scary.

Much of the movie's momentum comes from the ferocious opening. We are introduced to Ana, a hard working nurse who comes home to have a romantic evening with her husband. Unfortunately for them, they miss the development of the zombie plague when they're too busy making it in the shower. After that I guess they shut the TV off, because the movie rapidly pushes us to the following morning, when Ana's husband is killed before her very eyes by a little girl zombie who invades the house.

Now unlike George A. Romero's blue-faces walking corpses, "DOTD 2004" features zombies patterned after the super-animated monsters of "28 Days Later". They run, fast, and they can climb, jump, and just about anything else. Except they're dead.

Yeah it's kind of silly, but it does work. The movie has a brisk pace--almost a little TOO brisk at times, but when the story moves along so fast it's difficult to think about the implausibility of it all. Part of the horror of the opening is when Ana stumbles outside her home and finds her neighborhood in a shambles. She sees people carelessly run down by speeding vehicles, guns pulled by formerly friendly neighbors, fires burning out of control in some places. Although it's not easy to believe that the dead could walk, this scenario of society breaking down is a little too real in today's political climate.

Unfortunately, the movie careens right past this idea and hastens us to the shopping mall, which didn't materialize until a good ways into Romero's original. Our small band of protagonists stumble upon the mall and find others inside taking refuge, and the expected microcosmic society begins to take shape. The characters are mostly MTV-style beauties, both male and female, with the exception of a few guys who appear to be pretty boys in tough-guy makeup. Only Ving Rhames rings true, and a later group of survivors arrive at the mall to give us some secondary zombie fodder.

The best thing that "Dawn of the Dead" has going for it is the ability to depict things Romero only hinted at in his films. The movie's main set piece involves a desperate plan to escape the mall by using two parking shuttles that have been fortified with makeshift armor. The vehicles move out with their vulnerable human cargo into a sea of the living dead, and the effect is truly scary.

The jump cutting did get on my nerves a bit, although the action sequences were fairly well-photographed, and didn't obscure the action with a lot of close-ups and rapid-fire montages like some movies in recent memory ("Texas Chainsaw 2003", anybody?). I was hoping for a little more detail on how the characters lived their lives inside the mall, and what was going through their minds while they realized their entire world had effectively come to an end. What made them want to hang on to their humanity? These questions, raised by Romero, are abandoned in the remake in favor of a series of glossy action sequences which, while scary, have less of an impact because we aren't as involved with the characters.

But this sacrifice is easy to overlook when the rest of the movie is so well done. It remains to be seen if "Dawn of the Dead" will be a classic in its own right. It's impossible to tell these things after seeing a film for the first time. If nothing else, "Dawn of the Dead" is something that horror fans have been waiting for: a scary good time at the movies.

This movie rocked. As remakes go, this one is the best. Romero's was a classic, but I thought it was too slow compared to DOTD 2004. Be sure to check out the cameo apperance of make up wizard Tom Savini if you see this film.

I don't like why the liberal antichristian media is making such a big deal that Dawn of the Dead beat the Passion of the Chirst for the Number 1 box office money making.....

It's sad...

Man! I just came back from seeing it, and I'm still looking out the window for Zombies. I loved it! One of the most terrifying and least cheesiest movie ever!

Guys, every movie has to drop from number one at some point just be happy it was from a movie that well done.

I think I might go see it sometime this week. The original was so bad I actually loved it. I hope they kept this one just as cheesy.

I think I might go see it sometime this week. The original was so bad I actually loved it. I hope they kept this one just as cheesy.

Sorry, Fenriz they didn't. This one is a real thriller, I wouldn't suggest bringing your children.... ::looks out window:: phew still no Zombies.