Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

I regret to inform you

I regret to inform you that we, the Moderators and Administrators of STARTREKFANS.NET have been forced to ban Adm.Speer. This action is not done lightly and is not done without first having tried to explain to this member the rules regarding personal attacks on other members.

He has continually attacked members, calling names when they disagree with his opinions and has repeatedly been warned that this was not acceptable. He has claimed that it is his free speech right to say anything he wishes but we will not accept personal attacks here at STARTREKFANS.NET.

To quote the Term Of Service that everyone agrees to when they sign up for membership:

We (the Site Admin's and Mods) have the ability to remove or edit objectionable messages without notification and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal or editing is necessary.

The TOS further states:

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this message board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

By refusing to abide to this Term of Service I have no choice but to disable the user's account.

Well I can't say I'm glad the such action had to take place. But I do think it was neccesary. That member ruffled my feathers, and clearly, the feathers of other members. I am glad, however, that this board does not tolerate that kind of stuff. That is exactly what makes this place so great!

I honestly didn't even know that member existed, but it's unfortunate that these situations arise from time to time. My commendations to VBG and co. for taking such timely action to ensure we can all feel safe and be free from attacks.

that's definately gotta be a tough call to make. I haven't had to ban anyone on my board yet, but then again, my board's member corps is less than 3% the size of this board.

I do not recall who this member is but I was wondering if there was a procedure to be reinstated should a person whose use was terminated later reformed.

I don't know this person but I think you'd have to be pretty offensive to be banned. An apology goes a long way here, as I've learned. Who knows? Some people just live to cause trouble, I don't get it but it takes all kinds. Someone stop me before I cliche again.

The banned member may, if he/she wishes to, solicit the Mods (by PM) for another chance. If we (Mods) become convinced of the offenders desire to repent as sincere we may approach VBG with a request he take a poll of the Mods. Even with a 100% consensus of the Mods that the member should be given another chance, VBG reserves the right to veto our request leaving the member banned or he could decide to reinstate the ex-member based on our reports.

Guest Personal Jesus

Um, what did this member do to get banned? :)

some one actaully got banned? thats sad. he must have been doing some really bad stuff to get the boot from the mods like that.

Um, what did this member do to get banned? :)

It's explained in the first post above but here's the main reason quoted from my previous post:

He has continually attacked members, calling names when they disagree with his opinions and has repeatedly been warned that this was not acceptable.

As for being reinstated, yes anyone that might be banned could be reinstated. But to be reinstated this member would have to agree to abide by the TOS. Thus far he has said that by law he doesn't have to abide by any TOS (Term of Service).

Debate is good, discussing our differences brings us closer together but most of us came here to escape the personal attacks.

I don't understand why people don't realize that STF.net is private property, its just like I can kick you out of my house for saying things I don't like.

For once I agree with Nemesis. VBG shouldn't have to put a sign up saying "I, VaBeachGuy, as the owner of this establishment, reserve the right to refuse service to anyone who does not abide by the rules"

sorry, forgot to finish my thought there.

Edited by Ensign Jim Phaserman

i think in a way its a good thing that some of us havnt heard of the person in question shows that the mods have deleted the posts quickly.. making us happier.. if we dont notice its kinda a good thing i guess

Stardate:214216.9

Yeah I had never heard of this guy until this thread either.Oh well serves him right.

We all no the rules when we joined up so if you have had warnings and

still dont change then i agree with The TOS to remove you from the boards

we dont need those type of ppl here.

You know the rules its your own fault if you step over the line!!! :huh:

For once I agree with Nemesis. VBG shouldn't have to put a sign up saying "I, VaBeachGuy, as the owner of this establishment, reserve the right to refuse service to anyone.."

Not quite. And not what VBG said or implied.

The problem was not abiding by rules one agreed to abide by in order to particpate on this site.

Even privately owned businesses, when made available to the public, must allow reasonable access to any part of the public that abides by its conditions of service. Businesses do not have the absolute right to refuse service just because it is privately owned. That leads to arbitrary discrimination, which is against the law.

***And since EJP edited the above quote, I am actually in agreement with his completed version of the quote above.

Edited by mjham

For once I agree with Nemesis. VBG shouldn't have to put a sign up saying "I, VaBeachGuy, as the owner of this establishment, reserve the right to refuse service to anyone.."

Not quite. And not what VBG said or implied.

The problem was not abiding by rules one agreed to abide by in order to particpate on this site.

Even privately owned businesses, when made available to the public, must allow reasonable access to any part of the public that abides by its conditions of service. Businesses do not have the absolute right to refuse service just because it is privately owned. That leads to arbitrary discrimination, which is against the law.

I didn't quite mean it like that, I mean making an insulting post of this site is no differant then spray painting vulgarity on someone's private property.

I read some of the posts Adm.Speer wrote. I must say that I fully understand the choice made by the mods to ban him.. Sorry it had to go that far, but sometimes it is necessary.