Sign in to follow this  
Jeanway

Mars, our past or our future?

If they found evidence of water, then there may have been life on Mars. So what does this mean. Are all planets destined to this fate. Are We. Could Earth at one time looked like Mars, billions of years ago? Will we look like this sometime in the future?

I think that the way Mars looks now could be a reflection of a distant future earth, although I think Venus fits the criteria more. With the greenhouse gases filling our atmosphere we have a better chance of looking like venus at some future time. I would like to believe that Mars and Earth were as close to being sister planets as could be and perhaps Mars was dealt a cosmic death blow from an asteroid impact millions of years ago. It is father out, right next to the asteroid belt, and if you've seen recent picture of Mars' two moons, Phobos and Deimos, they look like remnents of something bigger at one time. It has already been speculated that the two moons are not indigenious to Mars at all but captured asteroids. But what about the possibility of them being what was left over from a massive asteroid hit and what is there now is the left over debris thrown up from that hit? Earth could very well look like Mars today at some distant future time but so could Venus as well. We have a lot yet to learn.

Where are these pictures of the two moons? Could I see them on a site?

I do not think Earth will look like mars. 1. Wew have an atmosphere <----MAJOR support! 2. If you think about how long that would take if that did happen Earth's sun would likely go super nova by then

TSonofvulcan, Mars could have once had more on an atmosphere. However I do believe at our current rate... Earth will end up like Venus, that is unless something happens (on a grand atmospheric scale) to strip our atmospheric gasses away from our planet.

:cool:

I beleve both are unlikely, if it were to happen, Earth's sun would be super noving or close to being

Edited by TSonofvulcan

I believe that eventually we should be able to counteract the greenhose effect and prvent our earth from becomng Venus II. I also think mars might have been more earth-like in the past, but it is smaller so it could not have been exactly like earth.

I beleve both are unlikely, if it were to happen, Earth's sun would be super noving or close to being

Before our Sun could even become close to going supernova... It would have to become a Red Giant. IF this were to happen, the Red Giant would consume All of the inner planets.

Poof!

:cool: