Sign in to follow this  
Jeanway

Prime Directive, Fact or Fiction?

We hear of the Prime Directive in many episodes. NASA actually is working on it. What do you know about it?

Prime Directive if it does happen will most likely not be same as the Federation's one. A Prime Directive is simply the law that you must follow above all others.

Yes, Nemesis, i'm aware of that. But what I mean is all we hear about is not interfering with other civilizations. Not making contact. So how do we justify first contact? I mean, never on their homeworld? Only in space? Or when they contact us first? Do you see where I'm going with this? First contact is only permitted when they make the first contact?

Yes, Nemesis, i'm aware of that.  But what I mean is all we hear about is not interfering with other civilizations. Not making contact.  So how do we justify first contact?  I mean, never on their homeworld?  Only in space? Or when they contact us first?  Do you see where I'm going with this? First contact is only permitted when they make the first contact?

First contact is only allowed when they have a certain level of developement

the Prime Directive is, basically like Nemesis said, a policy of non-interference with cultures of lesser technological development. the mainjudge of this in Star Trek has been weather or not a people have developed Warp drive.

I searched Startrek.com (I know, it's not a favorite here, but it IS the official website) and they don't have anything on the Prime Directive in the way of wording.

I searched Startrek.com (I know, it's not a favorite here, but it IS the official website) and they don't have anything on the Prime Directive in the way of wording.

We have no problems with startrek.com itself. As a matter of fact there is a direct link to the site in the Star Trek section of the boards. The problem many of us have is strictly with the message boards at the site.

A little bit about when contact and how they do it can be seen in the TNG episode First Contact (not the movie).

the Prime Directive is, basically like Nemesis said, a policy of non-interference with cultures of lesser technological development. the mainjudge of this in Star Trek has been weather or not a people have developed Warp drive.

I agree, Julie; the first contact rule seems to come in effect whenever a civilization develops warp drive.

I read that page you linked here, Alterego. The Prime Directive is so strict that people may die just to prevent any interference with a race's development? Seems a little on the harsh side, and I see now why Captains often struggle with obeying the PD, especially if obeying it means you have to sacrifice crewmembers :assimilated:

:grin::assimilated:

Jaina

I've checked that out too takara, but it seems that such an important document should be somewhere so all could see. It's referred to so often in the episodes and the movies. Kind of makes you curious as to what else it might say, don't you think?

After reading the Prime Directive as posted by AE. I would like to see the "actual" canon Prime Directive.

The Omega Particle addition is laughable (for all of you who played ST: Armada)

:cool:

After reading the Prime Directive as posted by AE.  I would like to see the "actual" canon Prime Directive.

I don't believe it "Officially" exists except as only bits and pieces as stated by Characters on Trek, those statements are the only Official canon material we have. Even those may contradict themselves in places as well. [rant]This is what gets me about the Trek purists, why don’t they understand there is nothing pure about it, it’s been being fouled up since the start.[/rant]

for an organisation that is supposed to be non-military, Starfleet's directives certainly sound rather military-esque to me.

After reading the Prime Directive as posted by AE.  I would like to see the "actual" canon Prime Directive.

I don't believe it "Officially" exists except as only bits and pieces as stated by Characters on Trek, those statements are the only Official canon material we have. Even those may contradict themselves in places as well. [rant]This is what gets me about the Trek purists, why don’t they understand there is nothing pure about it, it’s been being fouled up since the start.[/rant]

Question, what or where is this AE referred to? Also, since it doesn't exist, could the best minds of ST.net possibly do it, for us? From all you know in bits and pieces? Best Guess Scenario? The Government might buy it from you, :grin:

for an organisation that is supposed to be non-military, Starfleet's directives certainly sound rather military-esque to me.

we've had many debates here about that very question. Starfleet is a military/exploration branch of the UFP.

I was just looking in my Star Trek Encyclopedia and there are 7 General Orders 91, 7, 12, 15, 24 and two sections from 104), 3 Regulations (46, 42/15, 157) and some directives (Away Team guidelines, Directive 101, temporatl displacement policy and engineering code) from the Prime Directive listed.

I read it. Thank you Alterego, Boy they are strict. I particularly enjoyed the section on the Omega Molecule/Particle Phenomenon. I recall an episode where someone tried to synthesize it, was that 7? It mentioned that the Borg had knowledge of this. The preceding sections were quite harsh, Old Testament like. :laugh: