Sign in to follow this  
Jeanway

Titles of Episodes

Have you ever watched an episode of Startrek and found the title a bit obsure, inappropriate or oblique? Many times I've wondered who comes up with these titles, sometimes it's very hard to connect the message of the episode with the title. Am I the only one whose noticed this? :dude:

Hehe...yeah noticed that also. Some titles doesn't seem to fit the Episode. You think that every show needs a title that goes with the Episode?

I agree. I've heard explanations for some episode titles but I can't remember which episodes (darn memory lol). Sometimes it might be a reference to a book or a line in a play.

Thank you everyone. Now when I can't remember the name of an episode, I won't feel bad. Instead of telling the story because I can't remember the title. Like, Hide & q, had absolutely nothing to do with hiding, only qing. And The Pen Pal, there was no writing involved, it was a radio transmission. I'll have to investigated this more. Maybe if we can make some kind of connection it'll be easier to remember. Maybe I could come up with a synopsis of each espisode then start a new thread as a game. NAME THIS EPISODE. And explain why it's titled the way it is.

Taz don't feel bad I can't remember the names of episodes or songs on cd's, I'm always saying to people "track 5 is good" :clap:

I'm better acquainted with TOS, but I've never been good at names or titles, lol. However, once I got the entire TOS series on vhs (currently working on the dvds) I realized how very appropos those titles were to each episode. It does help one remember the title, when it seems to fit the story so nicely. It's too bad about the other series in the franchise, though. I only remember two titles, "Sarek" and "Relic" and that is due to the fact they were about TOS characters. The titles were oddly appropriate for these episodes. I cannot speak for the others.

T'Bree

And The Pen Pal, there was no writing involved, it was a radio transmission.

Well "Radio Pals" Just Sounds Stupid ^_^

But Yeah...Some Episode Titles Have Me Completely Lost At Times.

Like DS9's "In Purgatory's Shadow". Love The Episode...But What The Title Means...I Have No Clue.. ^_^

Well "Radio Pals" Just Sounds Stupid B)

Like DS9's "In Purgatory's Shadow". Love The Episode...But What The Title Means...I Have No Clue.. :laugh:

I think it has alot to do with perception. Where your mind is at when your watching. Sometimes the titles do make sense to me, but other times I have to watch the episode again to see how they came up with it. also what's going on in the world at the time has alot to do with it.

Yes, I agree! The titles do not reflect the episode's content...

Well "Radio Pals" Just Sounds Stupid :huh:

Like DS9's "In Purgatory's Shadow". Love The Episode...But What The Title Means...I Have No Clue.. :huh:

I'm pretty sure "In Purgatory's Shadow" and its sister episode (just to save the inevitable "two-part" discussion again) "By Inferno's Light" are titles taken from Dante. It's about the descent into Hell. They're perfect titles for those episodes...

And I'm assuming "Pen Pals" is about two people who keep in touch through a radio transmission? Why isn't that a good name? The term obviously evolved through time, like so many others. It's the same meaning - people keeping in touch from over a distance through some sort of physical communication.