Sign in to follow this  
Jeanway

14 yr old boy catches virus from computer

I heard this morning on the radio a 14 year old boy has caught a virus from his computer. They said it is the imelda Virus. Quickly I tried to look it up to read about it. The closest word I could come to it was the imidazole virus, will try to nail down the name for sure, but this virus is an organic compound, of course, which occurs in histadine and histamine. My best guess at this point is it may cause something like a cold, or allergy symptoms. Maybe itching or eye irritation. Just guessing now. Will keep an ear open about it. I always expected that between the keys, on the keyboard, could really harbour some nasty little bugs. I looked down in there, and ICK, and it really doesn't smell too good IN THERE either. How do we keep the keyboard clean??? :P

Guest Ktrek

There are many types of virus' that can be caught by contact surfaces. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I do use alchohol swipes to clean my keyboard and phone on a regular basis though. Doesn't everybody? :P

Ktrek

Edited by Ktrek

Well it doesn't surprise me at all. I can't count the number of times Lessa and/or her family have been sick with colds or the flu while she and I are chatting on AIM and then the next thing you know I'm sick with the very same symptoms. Coincidence?!?! ;)

Well, I like to think I keep my apartment pretty clean, but I can't say I swipe my keyboard with alcohol very often ;)

I try and keep things clean. My kitchen could be used as an example by the Health Department to most restaurants.

Hey, wait a minute! You said that you thought you were too good to clean, but now you're saying that your kitchen is really clean? I'm confused...maybe Julie does all the work and you take all the credit?

I heard this morning on the radio a 14 year old boy has caught a virus from his computer.  They said it is the imelda Virus.  Quickly I tried to look it up to read about it. The closest word I could come to it was the imidazole virus, will try to nail down the name for sure, but this virus is an organic compound, of course, which occurs in histadine and histamine.  My best guess at this point is it may cause something like a cold, or allergy symptoms.  Maybe itching or eye irritation.  Just guessing now.  Will keep an ear open about it. I always expected that between the keys, on the keyboard, could really harbour some nasty little bugs. I looked down in there, and ICK, and it really doesn't smell too good IN THERE either.  How do we keep the keyboard clean???    :huh:

The keyboard is soakable. You can submerge it into water. Soak it for a few hours in some warm water. Then let it dry (this is the most important step). Your keyboard should be cleaner and loose the rotten smell.

I do this to my keyboards (I have two computers) twice a year.

:cool:

SHADOWFILAMENT, you were just joking, weren't you??? SOAK THE KEYBOARD, hmm, sounds like it. But I have cleaned my keyboard since. I turned it over and gently shook and tapped it and alot of STUFF fell out. Then I wiped down every key, surface, nook and cranny. Man, I had no idea how dirty it was. Now it doesn't have that funny smell anymore either. I was told never to get anything inside the computer or keyboard wet. I'm sorry but I just don't believe what you said. Do you have anything to back up this practice? Another source? :huh:

SHADOWFILAMENT, you were just joking, weren't you???  SOAK THE KEYBOARD, hmm, sounds like it.  But I have cleaned my keyboard since.  I turned it over and gently shook and tapped it and alot of STUFF  fell out.  Then I wiped down every key, surface, nook and cranny.  Man, I had no idea how dirty it was.  Now it doesn't have that funny smell anymore either.  I was told never to get anything inside the computer or keyboard wet.  I'm sorry but I just don't believe what you said. Do you have anything to back up this practice?  Another source? ;)

Some keyboards are "splash proof" so you can keep a drink by the PC without worrying about spilling it. Those can be soaked, but I wouldn't recommend it. Also, check to see if you can pop the keys out. You can do so on most keyboards. Try a button that you have two and then see if you can put it back in. If it works, you can pop your keys out, making it much easier to clean the keyboard and get the gunk out. :huh: