Sign in to follow this  
A l t e r E g o

An Idea

This fan isn't losing interest, I wish they were still making the other 4 series still along with Enterprise.

This post by VBG brings up an idea I’ve had before and posted at st.com a couple time's only to be shot down in a hail of insults and ridicule.

What if Paramount were to loosen their grip on Trek and set it up as an entity unto itself. A studio run by Trek lovers for Trek lovers with the goal being two-fold; making a sack load of cash for Par. and making fans dreams for Trek come true by producing them!

I could imagine a main frame computer set for the all of the teams working on different projects with-in the studio to access to every continuity point for Trek in existence and as new ones are created the mainframe could be updated.

Theater films, films for TV, animations, anything goes, what do you think the pros and cons of such a venture would be? What would be a good name for such a Trek venture? All thoughts are welcome!

That would be so wonderful. As long as everything is done to maintain continuity. We wouldn't want to have O'Brien killed in TNG and the next day have him show up at DS9. :wub:

For a name how about something like Starfleet Productions.

The pros would be obvious in having so much great (hopefully) Trek on the big and small screen.

The only con I can think of would be the difficulty in making sure all of the teams maintain the standards of quality that we expect from Trek. To ensure that contradictory stories don't cause canon issues. I think this could be overcome though by having team leaders meet with the big Kahuna to discuss where each series is going and to make sure that continuity is followed.

First, I wish Star Trek could sever itself from UPN because I think the show would be better quality if produced in syndication.

In one of the threads I sort of jokingly suggested there should be a Star Trek network on cable; the value of that would be the option of having several shows at once. But I think it might be sensory overload for the fans.

As for putting fans in charge of production - I think they would disagree too much to actually accomplish anything. I also think there is a lot more involved in producing a series than we realize and if we were in the driver's seat we might find ourselves making the same decisions we ciriticized in someone else.

I think it would be good if TPTB were to provide a website or other means for fans to provide meaningful input and/or suggestions.

The LAST thing we need, is more than one Star Trek series at a time. Star Trek is doing badly these days due to over saturation. I'm happy with a single dose of Trek and a movie every 2-3 years.

As for fans working for Trek? :wub: NNNOOO!!! The fans are too obsessive! They'd ruin Trek! :laugh:

The LAST thing we need, is more than one Star Trek series at a time.  Star Trek is doing badly these days due to over saturation.  I'm happy with a single dose of Trek and a movie every 2-3 years.

As for fans working for Trek? :wub: NNNOOO!!!  The fans are too obsessive!  They'd ruin Trek! :wub:

Did the earth just stop spinning? Picard and I agree on something? :laugh: Just kidding. winker.gif

I agree totally. It's a nice idea, but i just don't think it would work. I think Star Trek badly needs to take a break. You know the old saying, absence makes the heart grow fonder.

Syndication....

Thats the answer. I dont think a Star Trek Productions or Network would fly that well either. However, I do feel that if UPN has their way... Enterprise may be run into the ground. God I Hope it makes it 7 seasons. Then I hope that a new series will emerge. The stories and adventures are limitless. Where ever Star Trek goes... Ill follow...

I don’t think that it would work totally. There are parts that are a good thought, but I don’t think that it would work out. You really need more of an organized structure and authority. I think fans do have great ideas, but probably would have more conservative ideas or re-do’s of old stories lines (/ episodes) that we all love and treasure. Of course some would bring in fresh ideas, but fans of a show like Star Trek I don’t think would shape ST so that it can survive for years to come. This is because of the conservative ideas (as in new story lines) . . . . . . .

People also really need to have experience in producing a show and normal regular fans don’t have the skills to play a major role in the producing of ENT or future movies of even future series. We need people like Okuda, Michael Piller, Jeri Taylor, and several others. When I watch the TNG behind the scenes you see some real hard working people. And a lot of them are fans of the show and really come to think about it a majority of them are.

If you want fans more evolved, then we should pressure Paramount to let people send in scripts again. Before anyone could just send in a script that they made at home and just sign a form. Now you can’t send in your scripts they don’t accept them.

That’s what we as fans should really be pushing!

Not this let the fans take over because that will create more harm then good. And in light of some of ENT and even the new movie it seems like the writers can’t think of anything better why not let the fans try? (I’m referring to letting Paramount accept scripts from fans)

So that’s the real thing – let the fans once again be able to send in scripts

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

Ok, I understand about not having "fans" do the productions, it was more a figure of speech meaning the employee's (who know and understand the biz) are in charge, I was thinking as a bonus, they loved Trek as well. Does that change anything?

Ok, I understand about not having "fans" do the productions, it was more a figure of speech meaning the employee's (who know and understand the biz) are in charge, I was thinking as a bonus, they loved Trek as well. Does that change anything?

That sounds better. I had a mental picture of a bunch of obsessed fans in uniforms and spock ears running everything. :wub: :laugh:

That sounds better. I had a mental picture of a bunch of obsessed fans in uniforms and spock ears running everything. :laugh: :wub:

:bow::hand: :wub:

Heh just go and recuit board members and exectutives and heck every job needed at a Star Trek Convention. heh those with pointy ears = CEO's!!

What does everyone think about the fact that fans can’t anymore send in scripts?

I really think that is the real substitution for this idea. (As in letting the fans once again send in scripts)

Master Q

What does everyone think about the fact that fans can’t anymore send in scripts?

I really think that is the real substitution for this idea. (As in letting the fans once again send in scripts)

Master Q

It would be nice if they could again. It's too bad the studios are all so gun-shy about having scripts sent in - just one too many lawsuits before the suits said no, too much risk. Maybe if there was some sort of waiver of rights to the script they would do it again whether it would hold up in court though.

Well last time all you had to do is sign some papers. Why can’t they do the same thing now? Maybe it would be more to sign, but I think that it is very possible. (But then again I am not a law expert. However, there has to be a way)

Master Q

I think the old policy was shelved because the response by fans would have created an overwhelming avalanche of submissions the likes of which had never been seen.

How about the computer idea, anyone have any facts about how they currently keep track of canon, do they use the same resource material as we do, publications. In this day and age, of computers and data storage and access, wouldn’t it be easy to archive old canon materials (and add new) in ways which would make retrieval and comparisons about how new ideas would be consistent with established facts?

I think the old policy was shelved because the response by fans would have created an overwhelming avalanche of submissions the likes of which had never been seen.

How about the computer idea, anyone have any facts about how they currently keep track of canon, do they use the same resource material as we do, publications. In this day and age, of computers and data storage and access, wouldn’t it be easy to archive old canon materials (and add new) in ways which would make retrieval and comparisons about how new ideas would be consistent with established facts?

In ENT first season - ep "Fortunate Son" Travis mentioned his sister and brother-in-law were left behind when left the Horizon. ENT second season - ep "Horizon" that sister and brother-in-law had become a 'brother'

So basically I would say they are not keeping track of anything. I think when they write something into a character's bio it should be consistent. You'd think they'd have a database or something where they maintain these updates. Hey, I just got laid off....maybe they'll hire me.

As for scripts - I am really not a script writer - as far as including including stage direction etc. But I would like to be able to submit a story outline that their writers could adapt.

Also please explain why you think we'd have conservative story lines? Or what you think conservative means? I don't think they've been very inovative.

In ENT first season - ep "Fortunate Son" Travis mentioned his sister and brother-in-law were left behind when left the Horizon.  ENT second season - ep "Horizon" that sister and brother-in-law had become a 'brother'

So basically I would say they are not keeping track of anything.  I think when they write something into a character's bio it should be consistent.  You'd think they'd have a database or something where they maintain these updates.  Hey, I just got laid off....maybe they'll hire me.

That is what I am searching for a solution to.

Also please explain why you think we'd have conservative story lines?  Or what you think conservative means?  I don't think they've been very inovative.

I'm sorry but I don't remember saying anything about "conservative" anything on this thread, did I imply it?

Why don't they just find a Trek expert and hire him as the official "continuity guy?"

We need someone who would be able to keep everything accurate. Hecl, I even noticed that the "rebuilt" Excelsior model was a little off in the engineering section! :wub:

That is what I am searching for a solution to.

Whoops! That should have read;

That is one of the things I am searching for a solution to on this thread. Sorry.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Why don't they just find a Trek expert and hire him as the official "continuity guy?"

That would be an open position at, as was suggested;

"Starfleet Productions".

We need someone who would be able to keep everything accurate.  Hecl, I even noticed that the "rebuilt" Excelsior model was a little off in the engineering section! :wub:

Again, this is what I'm getting at, a "Trek Studio" devoted to the creation of all things Trek, done with Trekdom in mind.

I'm sorry but I don't remember saying anything about "conservative" anything on this thread, did I imply it?

No, I should have put a separate header on that paragraph - I haven't figured out how to quote from two different sources on a response. Sorry

I see, no problem.

There must be an easier way but I use Word to copy the first quote onto, then I go to the beginning of the thread again, find the next post I want to quote, copy it onto Word. Finally, I put my responses between the quotes and the results you can see in my post above yours. :wub:

EDIT: The last post on page one.

Edited by Alterego

I think people are stretching this out of proportions. You have to know how Hollywood works. If Paramount just took some fans and had them as the major controllers of the series that will not solve ST’s current problems. When I said “conservative” I’m referring to the fact that ST fans like the old days of Trek. We like Kirk flying around and we like Picard flying around and so on. And most fans - the majority of fans would try to have this again. Playing the same old thing over and over again . . . . . that’s how it is and it might sound not true or something like that, but that’s a majority of people would run it and probably would do more harm then good.

I’m going to quote someone that I respect a lot on another message board. He considers himself as more of the minority and I agree with him in these certain principals.

I believe you are a group of regressives, people who want to turn back the clock and make Star Trek exactly the way that it was back during the time of the original series. You even propose putting members of the Star Trek cast on this "Board of Trustees" you talk about, despite the fact that those people have little to no experience in producing television whatsoever. You speak as if Star Trek was some sort of corporation, when in fact it's not, and you can't run a TV show the same way you run a football team or a corporation, or god forbid a country. Yes, I agree that Rick Berman needs to go, but not for the reasons that you are describing. Berman's biggest problem is not that he has "abandoned the legacy of Gene Roddenberry," because really he hasn't, and I think that in general TNG and Voyager held very closely to those ideas, if they didn't on do them better than Roddenberry originally did them. Even if it is not your intention, you come off sounding condescending and elitist, expecting us to take for granted that the Original Series and the first four seasons of Next Generation were better than what was done on DS9, Voyager, or Enterprise

Talented individuals like Brannon Braga, Michael Piller, and Jeri Taylor were contributing to Star Trek's writing and producing staff, people who probably would never have joined the staff had Gene Roddenberry remained in firm control of the franchise. I for one argue that Star Trek did--for a time--become BETTER under the leadership of Rick Berman than it was under the leadership of Gene Roddenberry. I think it's hard for anyone to make the arguement that TNG's first two seasons, which many fans for many reasons consider to be in general some of the lowest quality television that has ever come out of the Star Trek franchise (there are a few episodes that are the exception, like "Conspiracy," "Q Who," and "The Measure of a Man"), were the heyday of TNG's run. In fact, if one looks at the figures that this website provides and interpretes them differently, one can clearly see the pattern that as Gene Roddenberry stepped further back and allowed Berman and others to take over, Star Trek's ratings enjoyed a steady rise all the way up until 1995. Your website may contend that Berman has been killing Star Trek from the moment he took over, but the facts, minus the spin, tell a different story.

Well I’m split more in the middle of terms with what he speaks of Gene, but the underlining principal is correct. If you just give it all to the fans it would not help it would make matters worse. If you want the fans to be more involved send in scripts or send in episodes ideas and make sure Paramount accepts them once again! That’s the real solution. The solution is not to just turn everything to the fans. Star Trek is about entertainment and if you want a show like this to go on you need outsiders. It is as simple as that. You need outsiders! People to bring in new life! A bunch of ST fans and only ST fans will bring the same basic concepts out and will not bring in new life.

Master Q

Master Q, you must have missed my earlier post on this thread when I tried to clear up the misconception I caused about having "pointy-ear" wearing fans running the show. I agree that would not be the best thing for Trek, I am trying to explore the pros and cons of Paramount giving Star Trek a studio of it's own with the purpose of creating all things Trek and I see at last it wont wash so forget it. Thanks everybody for humoring me and at least being civil with your responses. :wub:

Master Q, you must have missed my earlier post on this thread when I tried to clear up the misconception I caused about having "pointy-ear" wearing fans running the show. I agree that would not be the best thing for Trek, I am trying to explore the pros and cons of Paramount giving Star Trek a studio of it's own with the purpose of creating all things Trek and I see at last it wont wash so forget it. Thanks everybody for humoring me and at least being civil with your responses. :wub:

I see

Sorry that I did not fully read all of the posts

However I’m pretty sure they have a very large department for ST. They have warehouses and warehouses for the show.

It would be nice for them to expand, but it always goes back to money. Right now Paramount really could not afford it. I think if they get the potential out of ENT and make it a good show by getting new writers and letting fans send in scripts or story ideas again, then and only then could ST expand even more.

Master Q

We like Kirk flying around and we like Picard flying around and so on. And most fans - the majority of fans would try to have this again. Playing the same old thing over and over again . . . . . that’s how it is and it might sound not true or something like that, but that’s a majority of people would run it and probably would do more harm then good.

I'm missing something here. I still don't get what you mean by conservative versus where you would like to see the show go. If not starships what. I think the one time stops on a planet gave TOS and TNG the opportunity to explore an issue and then let it go and move on to something else. Not that you can't intersperse those types of episodes with an ongoing story arc - if that's what you mean.

We like Kirk flying around and we like Picard flying around and so on. And most fans - the majority of fans would try to have this again. Playing the same old thing over and over again . . . . . that’s how it is and it might sound not true or something like that, but that’s a majority of people would run it and probably would do more harm then good.

I'm missing something here. I still don't get what you mean by conservative versus where you would like to see the show go. If not starships what. I think the one time stops on a planet gave TOS and TNG the opportunity to explore an issue and then let it go and move on to something else. Not that you can't intersperse those types of episodes with an ongoing story arc - if that's what you mean.

Well not exactly.

I'm saying that . . .

Most fans would “want to turn back the clock and make Star Trek exactly the way that it was back during the time of the original series” (from the quote quoting someone else).

Basically most fans would do recurring themes and try to get back to the good old days of high ratings on TNG and the like. A majority of fans would also orientate the show to be more in touch of how they want it without comprising to a broader audience. That would in it self impede the viewers from that broader audience that are non-ST fans and in fact hurt the show. And not all fans really have the best ideas for Star Trek moving up and onward. For example the “Save Star Trek” group (or it is called something like that) do not have a real objective and/or the best vision for how ST should become a better show. And so on . . .. (I hope that you get my general point)

And like I have been saying repeatedly the best thing is to let the fans send in scripts once again or let them send in script ideas. It seems like the writers right can’t think of anything that great . . . so why not let the fans try by letting the fans send in scripts once again . . . ?

Master Q

Here is an idea. If they do not want to allow scripts from fans all the time, have a contest, where scripts are accepted for say two months then the best one is chosen and the episode is made as the prize for the contest.

thats a great idea ddillard. also alterego's idea is awesome. if that happened i would be so happy i could cry. trek NON-STOP

I see

Sorry that I did not fully read all of the posts

However I’m pretty sure they have a very large department for ST. They have warehouses and warehouses for the show.

It would be nice for them to expand, but it always goes back to money. Right now Paramount really could not afford it. I think if they get the potential out of ENT and make it a good show by getting new writers and letting fans send in scripts or story ideas again, then and only then could ST expand even more.

No sweat, thanks for sharing your ideas.

Most fans would “want to turn back the clock and make Star Trek exactly the way that it was back during the time of the original series” (from the quote quoting someone else).

Basically most fans would do recurring themes and try to get back to the good old days of high ratings on TNG and the like. A majority of fans would also orientate the show to be more in touch of how they want it without comprising to a broader audience. That would in it self impede the viewers from that broader audience that are non-ST fans and in fact hurt the show. And not all fans really have the best ideas for Star Trek moving up and onward. For example the “Save Star Trek” group (or it is called something like that) do not have a real objective and/or the best vision for how ST should become a better show. And so on . . ..  (I hope that you get my general point)

And like I have been saying repeatedly the best thing is to let the fans send in scripts once again or let them send in script ideas. It seems like the writers right can’t think of anything that great . . . so why not let the fans try by letting the fans send in scripts once again . . . ?

Some interesting thought's, good reasoning on the topic of not allowing script submissions. Thank you.

Here is an idea.  If they do not want to allow scripts from fans all the time, have a contest, where scripts are accepted for say two months then the best one is chosen and the episode is made as the prize for the contest.

Good counterpoint and an idea I would love to see happen but like Master_Q said, it would cost a lot to do this and many fans might submit scripts which fly in the face of established ENT canon, LOL!

The cost of the contest(s) could be money spent directly onto the show in the first place.

Thanks to all responders! :look: