Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

Bruce Greenwood Cast As Pike

Greenwood Is Trek's Pike

atrekgreenxh4.jpg

Bruce Greenwood has been cast as Christopher Pike, first captain of the U.S.S. Enterprise, in J.J. Abrams' upcoming Star Trek movie for Paramount, laying to rest rumors of other casting, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

The character of Capt. Pike appeared in "The Cage," the original unaired pilot that Gene Roddenberry created. The pilot was rejected by CBS and then shown to NBC, which turned it down, though it liked the concept enough to commission a second pilot. (Only the character of Spock, played by Leonard Nimoy, survived the redevelopment.)

Pike was later woven back into Star Trek lore as the ship's first captain and appeared in a two-part episode, "The Menagerie," which recycled bits of the original pilot episode. Pike was played by Jeffrey Hunter.

Edited by Gamera

:nono:

I'm absoutely flabergasted! I like him - especially in Nowhere Man, but I never imagined that he'd be Captain Pike! What a surprise!

BTW, according to "canon", how much older than Kirk is Pike? I thought they were closer in age than Pine and Greenwood.

canon never says how old Pike is, but Jeffrey Hunter is five years older than Shatner. That wouldn't be canon age though since Spock served under Pike for years, and that wouldn't be possible if they were that close in age. The reason being that it would mean that Kirk wouldn't have been the youngest person promoted to Captain like in canon, but it would have been Pike

Edited by Gamera