Sign in to follow this  
Gotabite

Impressions of Voyager

:biggrin: I am always interested in hearing others impressions regarding Voyager episodes. If you could chose an Voyager episode that left a strong and memorable impression with you, I'm wondering which episode it would be and why? For me there are several. But the episode Imperfection is the first that comes to mind. In this episode Seven's cordical node malfunctions, and she is dying. She needs another implant to save her life. During this episode we see B'Ellanna for the first time let go of her hostility towards a dying Seven, and provide comfort and even refuge to her from the Doctor. This episode changes the relationship between these two forever. Next we see Seven struggling deeply with her view of human emotions and dependency needs. Having been Borg for so long, her view of human emotions and dependency is very negative. Thus when Icheb offers to give her his ocular implant, Seven refuses to consider his offer. This forces Icheb to endanger his own life to bring Seven to an awareness of how important, necessary and positive closeness and caring for someone can be. Thus Seven finally begins to give in to some of her own feelings, especially towards Icheb..........I thought this was an especially powerful episode. :grin:

Actually, it was her cordical node, not the ocular implant that malfunctioned. :biggrin:

Okay Thanks. :grin:

The episode that left a lasting impression on me also involved Seven of Nine. I can't think of the episode's name! It's the one where technology from the doctor's mobile emitter combines with Seven's Borg technology via the transporter, creating a 29th century Borg. It grows from fetus to adulthood in a matter of days, and Seven is assigned to "train" this new drone, or give it it's first orders. We see Seven begin to care for this new drone, and pass along some of the things she learned from Captain Janeway, mainly about being an individual rather than a part of a collective. The drone even chooses a name for himself-One. One also learns to care about Seven and the rest of the Voyager crew, and when his automatic homing device activates, he deactivates himself so he won't bring the Borg down on Voyager. The scene between him and Seven in sick bay was very touching. Seven is trying to cover her pain by playing the emotionless Borg until she finally admits-"You are hurting me."

The episode that left a lasting impression on me also involved Seven of Nine.  I can't think of the episode's name!  It's the one where technology from the doctor's mobile emitter combines with Seven's Borg technology via the transporter, creating a 29th century Borg.  It grows from fetus to adulthood in a matter of days, and Seven is assigned to "train" this new drone, or give it it's first orders.  We see Seven begin to care for this new drone, and pass along some of the things she learned from Captain Janeway, mainly about being an individual rather than a part of a collective.  The drone even chooses a name for himself-One.  One also learns to care about Seven and the rest of the Voyager crew, and when his automatic homing device activates, he deactivates himself so he won't bring the Borg down on Voyager.  The scene between him and Seven in sick bay was very touching.  Seven is trying to cover her pain by playing the emotionless Borg until she finally admits-"You are hurting me."

Actually that episode was called "Drone." To be honest, I find that many episodes with Seven have great lessons about caring and compassion which we can all learn from. I too enjoyed this episode very much. :biggrin:

The episode that touched me the most on VOY was the one in which Icheb is brought home and he discovers that he SHOULD be assimilated by the Borg... I almost cried as I saw this... I think the episode went that way if not I am sorry I saw it only once :biggrin:

I don't know how the episode is called... :grin:

Mrs. Captain Picard

Actually, it was her cordical node, not the ocular implant that malfunctioned. :biggrin:

How about a response to her question?

If you could chose an Voyager episode that left a strong and memorable impression with you, I'm wondering which episode it would be and why?

When I read this question the first episode, which came to mind, was the one with the dream clown, why? I guess because it was such a strong sci-fi theme. Someday I plan to get back into VOY and give it all the attention many of of you VOY fans here have convinced me it deserves. After that I will probably have a better answer for you.

:biggrin: Mine is the one called TATTOO, because it makes Chakotay take a good look at his Ancestors, and how and what they believe in. :grin: It seems to bring him closer to them and connects him with his father and what his father was trying to teach him. :grin:

Well, I haven't seen them all, but one of the most impressionable as been "Meld." It was just so dark. And we got to see what a Vulcan would be without all of that control in place. We see why Vulcans need that control and that logic. And it shows us something of ourselves, as well. Something of the darkness within ourselves.

And a slew of Seven episodes. I think as she grows and learns more about her own humanity, we learn more about ours.

The episode that touched me the most on VOY was the one in which Icheb is brought home and he discovers that he SHOULD be assimilated by the Borg... I almost cried as I saw this... I think the episode went that way if not I am sorry I saw it only once  :huh:

I don't know how the episode is called...  :laugh: 

Mrs. Captain Picard

Child`s Play

And I agree...

I would hate to learn that I would be born and raised for such a purpose...

Blink of an Eye, because by just being in orbit Voyager shaped a planets entire evolution over many centuries. It was a really cool episode.

Barge of the Dead.

The fact that B'Elanna was coming to terms with her Klingon and Human self and learning who she had to be. And I loved the interaction between her and Janeway. It was a very powerful episode for me :laugh:

I just have to say at this point that in reading all of your responses, you have stirred up many memories for me of very moving Voyager episodes, with powerful implications. All that have been mentioned so very are some of my favorites. :clap: :(

The episode that sticks out to me is "Prey". Seven saves the ship and crew because the captain for some stupid reason endangers it to play humanitarian to a member of a species that could care less about Voyager and while superior forces were cutting the ship to pieces trying to get to it.. Later Janeway has the nerve to be angry at Seven for saving her ship. This was a good eps. but it also revealed that certain characters are not always right.

The episode that sticks out to me is "Prey".  Seven saves the ship and crew because the captain for some stupid reason endangers it to play humanitarian to a member of a  species that could care less about Voyager and while superior forces were cutting the ship to pieces trying to get to it..  Later Janeway has the nerve to be angry at Seven for saving her ship.  This was a good eps. but it also revealed that certain characters are not always right.

I remember that episode, too. The alien Janeway was protecting was species 8472, and the aliens who were pounding the crap out of Voyager to get the injured 8472 back were the Hirogen. The Hirogen were on a hunt, and the 8472 was their prey. Janeway refused to hand over the injured 8472, and Seven beamed it back to the Hirogen ship despite Janeway's orders not to.

The episode that sticks out to me is "Prey".  Seven saves the ship and crew because the captain for some stupid reason endangers it to play humanitarian to a member of a  species that could care less about Voyager and while superior forces were cutting the ship to pieces trying to get to it..  Later Janeway has the nerve to be angry at Seven for saving her ship.  This was a good eps. but it also revealed that certain characters are not always right.

I remember that episode, too. The alien Janeway was protecting was species 8472, and the aliens who were pounding the crap out of Voyager to get the injured 8472 back were the Hirogen. The Hirogen were on a hunt, and the 8472 was their prey. Janeway refused to hand over the injured 8472, and Seven beamed it back to the Hirogen ship despite Janeway's orders not to.

If I remember the episode correctly, Tuvok was in contact with it and it was hurt, and needed to rest. It didn't attack any other crew members on Voyager, and is was just trying to heal itself.

Since they had been fighting 8472, Janeway saw it as a chance to make allies with them, and keep her ship from being attacked in the future.

That's just my take on it. :laugh:

"Real Life" is, I believe, my absolute favorite Voyager episode, and I'll admit, I have a rather low opinion of Voyager on the whole, but this one really got to me.

Click for Spoiler:

The Doctor creates the ideal holographic family. When Torres and Kes are invited over for dinner, Torres recommends making some changes with the program, to make the family more realistic and less bubbly and 50s-ish. The result is a working mom who has little time to spend with her family, a rebellious son hanging out with Klingons as a bad influence, and a daughter who plays Parisses(sp?) squares, a very dangerous game for children to be playing. The Doctor, playing the role of the father, learns a painful lesson in 'real life' when the daughter, Belle, suffers an accident while playing parrisses squares. The injury is fatal, and the daughter is slipping away when she asks the Doctor if she's going to die. Rather than deal with the situation, the Doctor deactivates the program, intending on never completing the situation and just burying the pain. The B-story of the episode was rather forgettable--Paris in a shuttlecraft gets caught between layers of subspace or something, and risks a daring maneuver to break out and return to Voyager. The only good part to the B-story was the resulting scene between Paris and the Doctor, when the Doctor acts like a worried father, chewing Paris out for engaging in daredevil stunts or something to that extent. Paris prompts the Doctor to return to the holoprogram, which he does finally, and the Doctor, along with the wife and son, deal with Belle's death together. Even though they were 'fictional' characters, the Doctor obviously cared for them and Bob Picardo really carried that across the screen. I think this is the episode that really made me believe how good an actor Bob Picardo is. My only regret about this episode is that it was never mentioned again.

"Real Life" is, I believe, my absolute favorite Voyager episode, and I'll admit, I have a rather low opinion of Voyager on the whole, but this one really got to me.

Click for Spoiler:

The Doctor creates the ideal holographic family.  When Torres and Kes are invited over for dinner, Torres recommends making some changes with the program, to make the family more realistic and less bubbly and 50s-ish.  The result is a working mom who has little time to spend with her family, a rebellious son hanging out with Klingons as a bad influence, and a daughter who plays Parisses(sp?) squares, a very dangerous game for children to be playing.  The Doctor, playing the role of the father, learns a painful lesson in 'real life' when the daughter, Belle, suffers an accident while playing parrisses squares.  The injury is fatal, and the daughter is slipping away when she asks the Doctor if she's going to die.  Rather than deal with the situation, the Doctor deactivates the program, intending on never completing the situation and just burying the pain.  The B-story of the episode was rather forgettable--Paris in a shuttlecraft gets caught between layers of subspace or something, and risks a daring maneuver to break out and return to Voyager.  The only good part to the B-story was the resulting scene between Paris and the Doctor, when the Doctor acts like a worried father, chewing Paris out for engaging in daredevil stunts or something to that extent.  Paris prompts the Doctor to return to the holoprogram, which he does finally, and the Doctor, along with the wife and son, deal with Belle's death together.  Even though they were 'fictional' characters, the Doctor obviously cared for them and Bob Picardo really carried that across the screen.  I think this is the episode that really made me believe how good an actor Bob Picardo is.  My only regret about this episode is that it was never mentioned again.

Yes this is a very touching episode with the Doctor. :rolleyes:

I think.....The Future's End and The Year of Hell, max out on action and logic and morals for me and The Future's End really was a race to save the Federation and the timeline, cause even if Henry Starling hadn't gone through the rift, there would most likely be no Starfleet or Federation. In The Year of Hell, I look at it and it shows that the determination of the crew runs deep, and that they would risk their lives and there ship, just to stop one ship, knowing full well that they would probably not ever see home again. Those two really were cool, and I can't wait for the DVDs on Voyager.

If I remember the episode correctly, Tuvok was in contact with it and it was hurt, and needed to rest. It didn't attack any other crew members on Voyager, and is was just trying to heal itself.

Since they had been fighting 8472, Janeway saw it as a chance to make allies with them, and keep her ship from being attacked in the future.

That's just my take on it. B)

Dead people don't need allies. B)

Drone was an episode which had a lasting impact one me. Because it was one of those times that you saw Seven of Nine care more for someone else than herself. She loved One like he was her biological son.

Another episode from ST:VOY that I liked was called "Real Life". This is were the doctor creates the perfect holo family. Too perfect if you ask me. Later on B'Elanna helps the Doctor with the details of his experiment. By the end, the doctor had experienced a typical teen and his Klingon friends and a ray of other factors. The doctor know understood what many other parents go through. :rolleyes:

I hate this, I cannot remember the show title, but the episode that has possessed my mind was when Tom Paris was accused of a murder he didnt commit and he had to relive his 'killer's' thoughts the last 10 mins before he died, but the problem that consisted was that it was bring harm to Tom Paris' brain. (It was the first episode I saw of VOY, and it warped me in)

:bow: Bel Ami :)

I hate this, I cannot remember the show title, but the episode that has possessed my mind was when Tom Paris was accused of a murder he didnt commit and he had to relive his 'killer's' thoughts the last 10 mins before he died, but the problem that consisted was that it was bring harm to Tom Paris' brain. (It was the first episode I saw of VOY, and it warped me in)

:bow: Bel Ami :)

"Ex Post Fracto" I think. :lol:

I liked many Voyager episodes, including Tatoo. I am watching Voyager reruns right now at 4am.

The final episode impacted me, becuase it seemed to be going along like so many other episodes. They were trying to destroy a trans warp conduit, and deal a crushing blow to the Borg. They had decided to do this, the unselfish thing and the right thing, rather than take Admiral Janeyway's ( from the future) "sure thing" trip home. It was Harry Kim, the crew member most eager to get home, who voiced the crew's commitment to the journey, one another, and their mission.

So many times Voyager had been trapped in something, like that giant living thing that drained energy, or the void where ships trapped there attacked any newly trapped vessel, or the void where aliens were polluting the habitat, and they would get out. And the voyage would continue. They would set a new course to journey on. Or they would make big strides forward, using special technolgy like the slip stream or something, or when Kes helped them move forward, and even Q gave some help. But after each big leap they still had further to go. They would set a course.

So in the final episode they are in the conduit, just ahead of the one Borg cube pursuing them. They have already fired the shots to destroy the conduit, and are trying to outrace that also. It has the feel of so many of the other episodes.

Then they destroy the Borg cube and burst out of the conduit in the midst of the exploding Borg cube, finding themselves not only in the Alpha quadrant, but in the midst of a Federation fleet, and in proximity to Earth.

Janeway says quietly "We did it." Paris & B'lanna's child cries. She tells Admiral Paris that he will get her report, after apologizing for their sudden appearance. ( I may have the order reversed there). Janeway sends Paris to see his daughter. She orders Chakotay to "Set a course....for home."

It's suddenly over... you feel the crew's joy and incredulity.

And when you think of conduit leading to such proximity of Earth --- the Borg could have descended on the Federation without warning. The crew didn't know that when they made the unselfish choice to destroy it.

And Janeway beat the Borg. :lol:

It was a satisfying conclusion for me.

I just love the ending. :dude:

Hmm.I Was Never Really Sure What To Say About Voyager....Oddly Enough Though...Some Of My Opinions Of Voyager Came To Me In A Dream Lastnight...Odd Huh?

Anyway...I Think It Was Cool To Have A Crew That..."Unstable"...Starfleet+Maquis= :laugh:

Being Stranded In The Delta Quadrent Was Also Intriging. They Couldn't Contact Starfleet When A Priorty 1 Problem Rose...That Made Things Intersting.

Now While The Kazon Are Far From My Favorites...I Loved "Basics" :laugh:

All In All....I Think Voyager Was A Great Show...But Still Could Have Been Better....But Still Good None The Less :lol:

SCORPION

The best episode ever, it left me with the thought of "If the Borg could be destroyed, is the Federation safe?"

I am uterley freaked every time i see the episode. And the soundtrack? oh, the soundtrack!

Edited by trekzone

My impressions of Star Trek:Voyager are generally favorable.

The writing could have been stronger,some of the characters (like Chakotay and Neelix)could have been focused upon just a little bit more...

I mean,Neelix was supposed to be Sacagewea to Janeway and Chakotay's "Lewis & Clark",and the next thing I know he's a cook whose only advice ever seems to be,"Oh,pick that planet..it has a wonderful root for stew" :(

Chakotay's native american heritage was touched upon,but never explored in any great detail,also we didn't see him in enough situations where his natural leadership abilities and Starfleet training were brought forward...

Still,Voyager was watchable.....most of the time....

:tear:

Hi there B)

When I think about it, there were two episodes that left lasting impressions on me (although I haven't seen the entire seven seasons yet). They were Resolutions and Coda.

I loved the chemistry between Janeway and Chakotay in Resolutions and how they came to accept that they would probably have to spend the rest of their lives together on that planet. I really felt uneasy when Janeway handed the command of Voyager over to Tuvok - it just seemed strange to see someone else in control of the ship. I think this episode also showed us that while Janeway and Chakotay were just friends, the situation would have to change if they were going to be stuck on that planet for ever.

Coda was such an emotional episode. To see Janeway dead and then to see her walking around the ship as some sort of ghost was really eerie. It was so sad to see her watching her own funeral and to see the rest of the crew grieving. I really liked the way Janeway was so intent on making the crew realise that she was still on the ship and how she didn't give in to that alien.

Linda