Sign in to follow this  
Danny

Battle inconsistencies

I have noticed in several episodes there is an inconsistency in the battles. In Yesterday's enterprise, they destroy one of the birds with only a few phasor bursts. In Best of Both Worlds they fire on the Borg ship with all phasers and and a wrath of torpedos in the span of a few seocnds. Had they fired the same amount on those poor Klingon ships they would all have been destroyed in a few minutes.

I suppose they need to have a story but they could at least make the battle consistent don't you think?

Danny, not every ship is equal. you have to take into account sheild strength, armor, and other protective measures built into a ship. youe example is like dropping a 2000 pound bomb on a Frigate, and watching it blow up, then doing it to a Battle Cruiser and wondering why the Battle Cruiser is still afloat.

that's a good point. if you hammer a ship's sheilds down, a phaser blast can hit a vital area (Such as a torpedo magazine) and blow the whole ship.

I never really worried about the differences in battles. I figure, if it's a tougher enemy, it's gonna be a bigger battle, more neat manuevers and fire power, you know ;) I did notice that "movie" battles as opposed to "episode" battles are much more intense; more "stuff" happens.

;)

Jaina

if you want the "real" explaination, Movies probably have a higher budget and can take more time in the battle scene. it can unfold alittle more. in YE, the Battle scene was kind of abreviated because of time constraints. but, I can garauntee you that had the Enterprise E been facing off with 3 Klingon Cruisers, it would be a long, drawn out "Slug fest"

You might also have to take into account that the Enterprise in that timeline was affected. I don't like the thought of it but it could have been.

im not really one to realize theexact details when i watch a battle scene i just look at the size of the ship and how powerful it is.. then who wins and if the fight is a goo scene.. when you think about it.. isnt that all you really need to watch for?

I have considered this a couple of times. Why can the ENT-D fire that many photons and phasers so quickly against the borg, but not against the klingons? It seems rather strange that they wouldn't fire as much as they can against 3 klingon warships.