Sign in to follow this  
TransporterMalfunction

Some words from Spock's alter ego

I don't go around introducing myself to strangers as Mr. Spock. But when someone addresses a letter to "Mr. Spock, Hollywood, CA" I'm the one who gets it. ...For a long time I have been aware that many people would rather meet and talk to Mr. Spock than to Leonard Nimoy. For example at college lecture appearances, students who come to hear and see Leonard Nimoy arrive with mixed hope and expectations. There is a curiosity about Nimoy. What does he look like in the flesh? To what extent is he like Spock, in appearance, in manner, and in thought? Will they be able to experience the Spock presence, or is this to be a human-to-human contact? They will accept Nimoy respectfully and attentively. They are curious to hear what he has to say about himself, his thoughts, and interests, etc. ...Occasionally Nimoy steps momentarily into the Spock character by choice or by accident. The response is a wave of joyous recognition. It is as if Nimoy had stripped away the human facade and given the audience a glimpse of the real person, the Vulcan in the flesh disguised as a human.

The above quotation was taken from Leonard Nimoy's 1977 book, "I am not Spock". Can you understand how he feels? And how do you feel about this statement?

I had read that many of the actors from TOS felt type cast into their roles on ST. I can't understand how he feels in the sense that I've had similar experiences but I think I understand what he is saying.

And it is probably true that some people have a harder time than others separating actor from role. The phenomena isn't really just related to ST though - I heard the cast from Touched by an Angel talk about their experiences with people expecting them to act like angels.

Sadly, maybe the fact that he was such a good actor, that people believed him so strongly as Mr. Spock did prevent him from other receiving other roles. I did think he could act circles around William Shatner who did go on to have another series.

I know Nimoy directed Three Men and a Baby which was a great movie - I just don't recall him directing any more.

Sadly, maybe the fact that he was such a good actor, that people believed him so strongly as Mr. Spock did prevent him from other receiving other roles.  I did think he could act circles around William Shatner who did go on to have another series.

2 if you count Iron Chefs USA or whatever it was called.

i can imagine it would suck, that everyone doesnt want to see you, but someone you acted as in a show. and yes i think he acted circles around shatner as well. but i think shatner just knew how to use the fame, and used it well toward his own goals.

I read this book years ago and yes I can understand what he means. Leonard Nimoy is what they call a Method Actor, he feels the role essentially becoming the character. So, if he unconsciously slips into that persona from time to time it is understandable. It is also understandable that he would want the recognition as the actor and not just as the character he played so very well.

As far as other roles, he's had many. After Star Trek he became a cast member for Mission: Impossible, a tv series in the early seventies. He did stage, (Tevye in Fiddler on the Roof, and a one man show, Van Gogh) and a few tv movies, (Golda, Never Forget and another one about a prophet from the Old Testament). He guest starred, as well, on at least one show I can recall up front, Columbo. So, you see his career wasn't over by a long shot. As to why he didn't continue on as a director, I can't say. Or perhaps his films just didn't get touted and we missed them.

I've had the great pleasure of seeing Mr. Nimoy in a great many roles and while I think Shatner is also a fine actor, (see him in his very first movie role, The Brothers Karamazov with Yul Bryner), I agree that of the two, Nimoy is truely the better actor.

T'Bree

I can understand somewhat how he feels. in High School, I tried out for a few plays. the only parts I ever got were for parts calling for someone of extreme hieght. being 6'3" my freshman year, and 6'7" by my senior year, I fit the bill perfectly.