Sign in to follow this  
ILIKESEVEN

Should there be more sex in startrek?

Sex adds NOTHING to Star Trek. :rolleyes:

Amen!! I think that is all that needs to be said than that. (But alas, I will say more).

Sex on Star Trek wouldn't do anything but start controversy, get people pissed off, and make people want to watch Enterprise for the wrong damn reasons.

Even if the ratings dectupled (I think that's the right word term for 10x) they would drop off, because like many have said here there are many other placed to find sex other than Star Trek. Their attention would fade, so would the show, the true fans would be pissed off, the show would never be the same (if it wasn't cancelled) and Star Trek would be scared.

Star Trek doesn't need sexual themes to keep an audiance it just needs to do what it has always done best: Great Science Fiction.

Sexuallity, while it may have occured between two characters, was never a theme of Trek till the ENT came arround. Even with Seven's catsuit, the show never really got sexual in my opinion. No, that didn't start till ENT. I mean, look at how successful SG-1 is. Do they use sex appeal for ratings? Nope. They just do the best they can at telling good stories.

Tell good stories, and ratings will be high. It's a no-brainer. :assimilated:

Part of exploration is understanding cultures. certainly mating rituals are a part of the culture. I'm by no means saying Star Trek needs to hire Hugh Hefner as a consultant or wardrobe designer, but I am saying that Prudishness isn't going to earn ratings. Star Trek is, after all, a business. Ratings=money. too much sex is a bad thing, though too few is also a bad thing. we want to know, deep down, that Archer, and Reed are basically, at heart, Human. and part of being human is getting alittle action now and then.

Sexuallity, while it may have occured between two characters, was never a theme of Trek till the ENT came arround.  Even with Seven's catsuit, the show never really got sexual in my opinion.  No, that didn't start till ENT.  I mean, look at how successful SG-1 is.  Do they use sex appeal for ratings?  Nope.  They just do the best they can at telling good stories.

Tell good stories, and ratings will be high.  It's a no-brainer. :lol:

Either you have a very different definition of sexuality than I do, or you've been watching Star Trek: the Southern Baptists cut.

It has always been there- the only difference is what the network censors will allow.

Star Trek maybe a family show, but it's not a childrens show. I don't here any complaints about Reed and Hayes beating the tar out of each other. I'd think this would be worse example to kids, rather than seeing two people make out.

My deffinition of sexuallity is sexual acts, nudity, things of that nature. I do not consider kissing to be sexual, but rather an expression of love.

Anywho, a kid watches violence, he sees the good guy fighting the bad guy, good versus evil. A kid watches sexuallity, and he's gonna be messed up in the head. That's the big difference in my opinion.