Sign in to follow this  
WEAREBORG4102

quantum torps

To answer this question I went to my library and dug out the “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Technical Manual.”

10.0 Tactical Systems (Page 85)

The heart of the current system is the zero-point field reaction chamber, a teardrop shaped enclosure fabricated from a single crystal of directionally strengthened rodinium-ditellenite.  The assembly is penetrated by a single opening in the tapered end, cut by a nanometer phaser in an inert atmosphere of argon and neon.  Two jacketing layers, one of synthetic neutronium and another of dilithium, control the upper and lower extremes of the upper energy-field contours.  Attached to the taper opening is a zero-point initiator consisting of an EM rectifier, wave guide bundle, subspace field amplifier, and continuum distortion emitter.  The emitter created the actual pinch field from a conical spike 10^-16 meters across the tip.

The zero-point initiator is powered by the detonation of an upraised photon torpedo warhead with a yield of 21.8 isotons, achieved through increased matter-antimatter surface area contact and introduction of fluoronetic vapor. The matter-antimatter reaction occurs at four times the rate of a standard warhead.  The detonation energy is channeled through the initiator within 10^-7 seconds and energizes the emitter, which imparts a tension force upon the vacuum domain. As the vacuum membrane expands, over a period of 10^-4 seconds, an energy potential equivalent to at least 50 isotons is created.  This energy is held by the chamber for 10^-8 seconds and is then released by the controlled failure of the chamber wall.

Actually the chamber measures 0.76 meters in diameter by 1.38 meters in length and 2.3 centimeters in average thickness...

According to ST:DS9 Technical Manual :o

But you are correct about the can of whoop-a**!!!

:cool:

Your measurements are close...

Actual casing measures 2.1 by 0.76 by 0.45 meters and masses 186.7 kilograms dry weight.

ST:DS9 Tech Manual, Section 10.2 Photon Torpedoes And Operations, Page 84, Paragraph 2.

Can I get one of those to mount on a cruiser or something? I doubt the Terrorists would mess with us then.

"Hey, Osama, the Americans got them Quantum torpedo thingies!"

"Quantum torpedoes? What are those?"

"Ona them! <points as Torpedo hits>"

BOOM!

"<with last breath> So THAT'S a quantum torpedo!"

Can I get one of those to mount on a cruiser or something? I doubt the Terrorists would mess with us then.

"Hey, Osama, the Americans got them Quantum torpedo thingies!"

"Quantum torpedoes? What are those?"

"Ona them! <points as Torpedo hits>"

BOOM!

"<with last breath> So THAT'S a quantum torpedo!"

If you were to use a quantum torpedo in Afganistan it would have the following reporcussions...

Afganistan = Large Parking Lot

Easy math.

I don't think a Quantum torpedo is THAT powerful. I think Quantum Torpedoes are maybe 1.5-2X as powerful as the MOAB. However, a squadron of B-52s using full loads of Quantum Torps could re-decoratea mountain range.

It is actually more powerful than probably 2 hydrogen bombs as they use antimatter and matter reaction which is much more powerful than a nuclear explosion. anitmatter-matter reactions produce at least five times the amount of energy in fusion (hydrogen bomb)

WEAREBORG4102, have you ever seen a hydrogen bomb explosion? You really believe the detonations we see when a QT explode equals the force of two H bombs? I don't.

I was on an Ohio class SSBN, that boat had 24 missiles nuclear missiles. the thought that one Quantum Torpedo would equal 2 of those is rather proposterous to me.

WEAREBORG4102, have you ever seen a hydrogen bomb explosion? You really believe the detonations we see when a QT explode equals the force of two H bombs? I don't.

There is a diference between what the explosion looks like in atmosphere, compared to space.

yes, this is true, but a SMALL Hydrogen bomb is measured in MEGATONS, a Quantom Torpedo explosion is Measured in tons(it says Isotons in the manuals, but an Isotonic expendature of Energy is something you do in the WIEGHTROOM!), which is LESS than a Megaton.

The only time I can think of that we saw Quantum Torpedos is in First Contact and the torps. were going into the Borg ship. So we couldn't really see the entire explosion. It might of been in Nemisis to, I can't remember.

Edited by Captain Holland

the Borg ship was big, but I doubt it could withstand a volley of 6 warshots packing the power of 2 H-bombs a peice.

They were the Borg. You never know. Of course they didn't, the ship exploded in a huge fireball, but that was with the combined firepower of all those ships.

They are going to take over the world!

Now, according to the Technical manuals, Quantum torpedoes provide only a 15% increase in explosive power over standard torpedoes. assuming Borg torpedoes are on par with Starfleet standard photon torpedoes, than a Quantum torpedo is nowhere near as powerful as ONE H-bomb. I'd put it's power at maybe the same as BLU-82. this is going by the Borg torpedoes from First Contact.

I've seen real nuclear detonations in space (not 'live' though but) they still look a hundred times bigger than anything I've EVER seen on Trek.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp...000000000147590

Alterego, answer me this:

WHAT THE HECK IS WAL-MART DOING WITH NUCLEAR WEAPONS?

lol :rolleyes: you never know.. they might be using the stores as a cover up, look out! they might just be watching you too! :rolleyes:

Well scientifically speaking it would be more powerful.... bcause of the antimatter, matter reaction. But if photons and quantums are less pwerful why use them??? Why not use nukes??? the h bomb? shield would protect against that! I mean no even sa nuclear explosion can destory a tritanium(harder than diamond)!!!

Edited by WEAREBORG4102

Remember, the Federation is about exploration, not conquest. besides, Nuclear weapons possess one threat to the crew that Matter/Antimatter weapons don't: a nuclear warhead is radioactive.

I'm assuming that in the interin between today and TOS or ENT we developed some kind of anti-nuke shield. This technology would surely be incorporated in the shields used on starships. So even if nukes are more powerful than photon or quantum torpedos it would largely be a moot point.