Sign in to follow this  
xenexian

Enterprise theme music re-done

Since I haven't been here since before last September, I'm not sure if this topic has been covered yet so phaser whip me if this has been done already. Being an audio production engineer I was pleasantly surprised with the re-working of the Enterprise theme this season. It sounds to me, like most of the tracks were redone. Outside of the added percussion tracks and prominent acoustic guitar, which sound great, the backing tracks like the cello and orchestra sound the same to me from the previous year. A common practice in the recording field to save on costs. It's extremely expensive to record an entire orchestra. I can't really tell yet but it also sounds like the vocal tracks were also redone to allow Russell Watson to get a better feel for the new rhythms. Has anyone done an A-B listening session to try and determine if this is the case? I don't think I recorded any episodes from the previous two years so I can't do this myself until I get ahold of the original track. On a personal note, I love the new version even though I also liked the original. This new one has so much more energy and feeling it surprises me that this wasn't done sooner. I'm even humming the tune at work now. I know alot of people weren't too pleased with the theme the first time around so I'm interested in what everyone thinks of the updated version.

The ENT theme is actually the first minute anbd twenty seconds taken from the song "Faith of the Heart" from his CD Encore. On the soundtrack and in the show, the theme song is caled "Where My Heart Will Take Me". The season one theme is mostly Russell Watson singing with background music. Fans complained about ENT not having a "theme", so I think season three's remix was to keep the song, but add a theme to it. All in all, I think it's just the original song with added music. :force:

I hate it!!!!!!!! it's horrible!!!!!!! Every other series did a classical music piece. Why get rid of Jerry Goldsmith????????

I hate it!!!!!!!! it's horrible!!!!!!! Every other series did a classical music piece. Why get rid of Jerry Goldsmith????????

You are incorrect and I sense you are responding in a purely emotional way. :o

TOS did NOT have "classical music peice".

I like Jerry Goldsmith very much but NEM only had two original pieces (which were VERY cool) but the rest of that score has been used before so many times I would not be surprised if that was one of the major contributing factors for its failure. Frankly (IMO) JG has done his last Trek score.

Edited by Alterego

He only did the VOY theme. :o If you don't like it, that's cool. At first, I hated it becuase it wasn't an orchestral theme, but the once I heard the full version of the song, I loved it! It describes the show perfectly. :o

I like Jerry Goldsmith very much but NEM only had two original pieces (which were VERY cool) but the rest of that score has been used before so many times I would not be surprised if that was one of the major contributing factors for its failure. Frankly (IMO) JG has done his last Trek score.

Where have you heard the style of music before? I thought the score was very original for a Trek movie. It's also my favorite! :o

Where have you heard the style of music before? I thought the score was very original for a Trek movie. It's also my favorite! :o

When you next watch the film make a point to direct your attention to the musical score, as I remember there were a lot of signature themes established in previous films.

When you next watch the film make a point to direct your attention to the musical score, as I remember there were a lot of signature themes established in previous films.

I have the soundtracks to all 10 movies. Jerry Goldsmith scorred 1, 5, & 8-10. I noticed the ST:TMP theme come and go. The style of the music reminded me of the 8th & 9th movies, but the rest of it sounded very original to me. :o

Yeah;

TMP

TNG

ST5: TFF

ST7: FC

ST8: INS

ST10: NEM

I would like to see Cliff Eidelman or Dennis McCarthy to have another crack at a feature Film Soundtrack.

i don't actually care

Then what was the point of posting on the topic? Perhaps you could discuss further why you feel that way because at the moment you are bordering on spam.

Most film fans and critics recognise that a musical score is one of the most important aspects of a film. A poor musical score can make or break a film.

I prefer the old theme to 'Enterprise'.

What I really hate is the 'End Title Music' theme with those horrible electric guitars. EWWWWW!!!!

A better 'End Title Theme' IMO, would be the one they used at the end of the pilot episode 'Broken Bow'. It was a very acoustic version of 'Faith Of The Heart' which I actually like as a theme for the show.

:o :o

Edited by William Stryker

I would like to see Cliff Eidelman or Dennis McCarthy to have another crack at a feature Film Soundtrack.

I say bring back James Horner!!

I was gonna add to my last post "No more JH" but decided to wait for it to brought up.

He (IMO) proved he has nothing more (unique) to bring to the franchise. TWOK rocks but (nearly) the same thing in ST3 stinks. I'd change my mind if he promised to create new riffs.

I say bring back James Horner!!

I was gonna add to my last post "No more JH" but decided to wait for it to brought up.

He (IMO) proved he has nothing more (unique) to bring to the franchise. TWOK rocks but (nearly) the same thing in ST3 stinks. I'd change my mind if he promised to create new riffs.

Yeah I know, but in ST3 I felt it still worked. I just love the sections during the Enterprise's destruction and the incorporation of the TOS theme at the end of the film.

But you are right, I would expect him to develop a different theme for a TNG (or whichever crew is involved) movie.

Yeah I know, but in ST3 I felt it still worked. I just love the sections during the Enterprise's destruction and the incorporation of the TOS theme at the end of the film.

I understand what you mean about the Ent scene, there was a "bongo drum roll" at that part very reminiscent of a sound effect used in TOS. :o The OS tribute in the closing credits was cool too. I'm all for more of that kind of thing.

EDIT: Ooops! just noticed I'm off topic. I prefer the original ENT theme more, it better fit the mood of the Xindi arc.

Edited by Alterego

Yeah;

TMP

TNG

ST5: TFF

ST7: FC

ST8: INS

ST10: NEM

Are you referring to the "Enterprise" theme?

(not the show, but the ship's theme originated in the first movie)

I like the first version of the ENT theme a hundred times better than the new reworked version. It just doesn't seem to fit.

I'm also with Stryker - the closing-credits music is AWFUL! :o

Guest Mike_Hines01

Although I like the new version of the theme, I still prefer the old one, as it goes much better with the series.

I have never liked the Enterprise theme I always thought it should have been some kind of orcastraic music with Bacula saying somthing like "space the final frontier". It would have been a great tie in as so far every Star Trek show that had an Enterprise in it had those words. The theme now sounds like I am watching a sitcom. On the other note I have never been able to hear the end credit song as they always put the credits on the corner of the screen and star to promote what is coming next.

Edited by fredbroca

I think that the music with words at the start of Ent is indicative of the whole new approach of the show, and the movement towards bringing the Trek era closer to our own time period. The use of vocals humanises the show more, and takes away that 'far removed' edge one got with the Classical music of the other shows that all mightiness. The tone of the show becomes more casual and less formal.

I guess that this is touchier subject than I originally thought. From my standpoint, I prefer far and above this re-made version compared to the original. Now I listen to music differently than most people due to the fact that I've been involved personaly with just about every genre there is. From a production viewpoint, the piece is brilliant, exceptionally produced with a clarity that you don't often hear on the narrow broadcast band of tv audio. It's lighter but still serious with the cello backing track a nice counterpoint to the more contemporary instruments that were added and I'm fairly certain that the vocals were re-done as well, although I can't offer any proof of that yet. It catches the ear and because of the overdubbed new tracks, it just might draw in a few younger viewers as well. There are types of music that each generation dismisses out of hand because of either it's looked upon as old people music or just doesn't have the flair that most popular music contains. Orchestral pieces tend to fall into this realm since most orchestra tracks, outside of classical recordings, are used primarily as backing tracks for popular recordings. As for really liking it or whether that it fits in with the theme of the show or even if it belongs with the previous Star Trek themes, is a matter of debate that I'll leave to others. But, IMHO, This updated piece was just one thing that was needed to help jump start some interest in the show. To me, the fact that they even did the re-made version, shows me that someone is trying and is still interested in the overall success of the program.

I like the old theme much better. It fits the show better in my opinion..

Check out the following thread..

Enterprise Theme

I fully agree with you SpaceTigger!