Sign in to follow this  
Jack_Bauer

"Far Beyond the Stars"

I was just watching this ep and I noticed that Douglas Pabst (human Odo) called Herbert Rossoff (human Quark) a Communist. The irony of this is that Quark (and the rest of the Ferengi) are about as Capitalist as you can get! I wonder if this was intentional or just happened to occur.

I noticed this too, I think it was a little of Ira Behr's humour coming through the story there. Very good episode, and it was to this day the most shocking episode of Trek for me by the way they treated poor Benny Russel. As a child of teh Eighties I simply never grew up with the knowledge of how bad Black people were treated in this time period, and it was a wakeup call for me.

That episode made me thankful that for all the bad things that go on in the world today, at least it's not quite as bad as it was in the past.

This episode was so good IMO, that I went out and got the book "Far Beyond The Stars" a month after it aired. I loved all of the episodes that dealt with Benny Russell.

:cool:

It probably was just a coincedence, but knowing the DS9 writers and thier fondness for detail, it probably had some intentionality to it.

FBTS (Other than Brooks' over-the-top a wee bit on the delivery when he goes insane, albiet still a powerful moment) is one of my favorite episodes in all of trek. Even though racism is still a big issue today (We just hide it better) this episode was very optimistic in showing that the world today wasn't as bad as the world of New York 1950's era.

has to be the one of the best DS9 episodes ever made this is Star Trek at its best.......... :assimilated:

This was an awesome episode, ranks in my to 20 for sure.