Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

USS Yorktown

I was reading an old interview with Rick Berman and he said that Gene Roddenbury originally called his star ship the USS Yorktown, before changing it to the Enterprise. Yorktown was then seen in a TOS episode, and that is why they have named the NX-02 Yorktown on Enterprise: a homage to his first choice. Also, the Enterprise-A from the movies was actually the USS Yorktown (as seen adrift after the Wale Probe in Star Trek 4) renamed. A bit like the Sao Paulo on DS9 being re-named Defiant. That is why the Enterprise a was decommissioned after only 5 years (the end of Star Trek 6): because it was actually quite old.

Actually, it was the Miranda-class Saratoga that was seen neutralised by the probe. We did see a communication from the Yorktown on screen though. As for the Enterprise-A, she was launched in 2287 and decommissioned in 2293 after 6 years of service. It's never stated on screen what ship was renamed Enterprise, but I feel that it's an safe to assume that the Enterprise was a renamed Constitution-class ship. It explains how the ship was ready so soon after the original ship's destruction, why it had massive problems in ST-5 - it was probably a ship neutralised by the probe - and why it was decommissioned after 6 years.

I could swear I've read that the E-A was originally the Yorktown, but you're right, since the Yorktown was seen (not the ship itself, the bridge) earlier in the movie and likely farther out and in-service, that doesn't really fit perfectly. :dude: Unless of course the Yorktown was relatively new (on a shakedown cruise maybe?), came back to spacedock for repairs and to finish construction after the probe left, and was recrewed,,, but again, that seems farfetched. I dunno, I thought the source I got that out of was canon, so I'll still go with that until I hear a better (provable) explanation. :huh:

Edited by Ace

If I remember right the ship was listed as being a re-named vessel in the novelization of Star Trek IV and therefore cannot be considered cannon. Although 1701-A could have been a new ship it seems unlikely that it would be decommissioned after only 6 years of service. Granted the class of ship was at least 28 years old it still seems wasteful for Starfleet to decommission a brand new ship. Still perhaps Starfleet wanted to the flagship of the Federation to be the most modern and up to date vessel possible which is why they transferred the name and serial number to the Excelsior class ship. However, I think the most likely explanation was that the 1701-A was an older ship that was either in for repairs or upgrades and had it's registry changed.

If I remember right the ship was listed as being a re-named vessel in the novelization of Star Trek IV and therefore cannot be considered cannon.

That's entirely possible, but since I never read that novel, I still can't think of where it came from. I think it was in an issue of STthe mag (considered canon by the majority of Trek fans), but I'm not positive. :huh:

I consider Rick Berman to be gospel.

And yes, I know that we didnt SEE the Yorktown ie outside perspective, blah be blah, but we did SEE part of it. Sigh. You are all so picky!!!!!!! I didnt realise this was a 'criticise other people's posts as much as possible' forum. The spirit of what I said is there. Why not just discuss THAT rather than take apart what i'm saying like a grammar lesson. (Sighs)

If you're referring to me at all, sorry. I knew you knew what you were talking about; I was just clarifying my own post. :o