Sign in to follow this  
Jim Phaserman

Professional Football (American)

Should there be a minimum age and a prerequisite number of years in college or Semi pros before entering the NFL?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be a minimum age and a prerequisite number of years in college or Semi pros before entering the NFL?

• Yes
    • No

Yes. at least, I think so. I played High School football for 4 years, as a Linebacker, Defensive End, and Tight End. I know on the HS level, the hitting is intense. now, someone going from playing at Smalltownsville East High School to playing for the New England Patriots is going to experience 2 things. 1, the hitting in the pros is much harder. these guys are faster,stronger, and much bigger than in High School. 2, the season is nearly twice as long. by week 10, your average High School to Pro player would be dead. physically, they'd not be able to get off their couches, and mentally, they wouldn't be able to convince themselves to go forward.

Yes, High School boys aren't ready go play football against grown men. I am hoping the NFL can get a stay so they can fight the judges arbitrary ruling. It seems to me that the ruling was made by a person that doesn't understand the nature of the sport and just wanted to make a name for herself. Everyone (the "experts") seems to be of the opinion that the ruling will be overturned.

I also think it will bring the quality of play in the Pros down quite a bit if they allow children to play in the NFL.

I do not think there should be a legislated or court-ordered minimum age. However, as EJP pointed out, a high school player would have to have exceptional talent (I am talking once in 100 years kind of talent) to be able to jump directly to the pros.

There is a learning curve in football that prevents a lot of talented college players from succeeding in the pros.

I think the "free market" will weed out most of the high schoolers who attempt this.

For those who haven't realised it yet, Jim and I know each other IRL. I played football with him in High School, and in practice, I layed some seriously heavy hits on him. but, the hit I could put on him is probably nothing compared to what...say...Mike McKenzie from the GB Packers could put on him. going from getting hit by me to getting hit by Mike McKenzie is a big step.

I still have bruises, Darryl. but I popped you a couple of good ones too. hey, next time you get on over this way, we should get a game going.

well, that kid who wanted to go into the NFL after only 2 years out of high school rather than the 3 mandated by NFL rules has signed an agent, and the courts have said he has to be in the draft. will he get drafted? Probably not.

well, that kid who wanted to go into the NFL after only 2 years out of high school rather than the 3 mandated by NFL rules has signed an agent, and the courts have said he has to be in the draft. will he get drafted? Probably not.

EJP,

I disagree. I think Clarette will be drafted. A good running back is hard to find. However, I suspect he will turn out to be another Lawrence Phillips (all the talent in the world below the neck, but a head that keeps him from being successful).