Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Trip - how is his character presented?

22 members have voted

1. 1. Trip - how is his character presented?

• Competent officer and engineer
    • Competent engineer - goofy officer
    • Underwear model
    • T'Pol's backdrop
    • Other

Competent engineer and officer. Especially the officer part. Whenever Trip's in the command chair, he draws your attention. You believe that men will follow his orders. I can't take my eyes off him. I wasn't terribly fond of "Extinction," but when he took command Trip was a force to be reckoned with. Loved him as captain in "Twilight," "Ceasefire," and the icky "Bounty" as well. However, that's probably due to Trinneer's portrayal more so than anything the writers have done. An actor either has charisma and presence or he doesn't. Trinneer does. That's why he and Combs were so magnetic during their brief, surprisingly emotional moment during "Proving Ground." Both are charismatic actors with "presence." Trip's engines needed an improved anti-matter system and he went out and got one from Shran. Trip takes care of business.

Wisely, praise be, the writers have not made his relationship-to-be with T'Pol the main focus. He's not T'Pol's backdrop, that's for sure. Like Blalock, Trinneer's likable portrayal of his character helps Trip (and Blalock's, T'Pol) transcend "the hot one" status that TPTB would like to shoehorn him and her into.

Edited by MoulinRouge

Competent Officer And Engineer... Definately!

A character that is not affraid to speak his mind and do what he believes is right. One of the best things Enterprise has going for it right now.

:cool:

I have to agree with MR about Extinction - Trip was definitely the saving grace for that episode. Twilight was good as well. Trip is my favorite character but some episodes such as the Seventh just didn't do him justice.

Ugh. :lol: The Seventh. One of my least favorite episodes of ENT to date. Totally worthless and it made Trip look the one thing he is not--indecisive. For good or ill, Trip is a take action kind of guy.

I'm surprised that you put underwear model after complaining about ENT being sexist. :lol: [/color]

That's why she put it up there. :lol: Some may think Trip is only being presented as a pretty-boy rather than as a good officer.

I have to split my vote between "Competent Officer/Engineer" and, recently, "backdrop for T'Pol". I will always see Trip as that first choice, but this is a topic as to how we think the writers are treating the character (at least that's what I got from the title). In this respect, yes, he's now sometimes used just as T'Pol's scenery. Just imo.

Edited by Ace

I voted for Competent Officer/Engineer too.

I just wish that they would show both on screen more often. I like T'Pol, (and I think Jolene Blalock has done a remarkable job with the character), but to see her still as First Officer when her reason for having that job has gone does the show down, for me. It's glaring every time she sits in the Captain's chair. I find it dislocates me from the show I'm watching because it's simply wrong.

Having T'Pol both Science and First Officer means that too much time is spent on Archer and T'Pol scenes. I like Archer and T'Pol together, but not to the detriment of everyone else. (Carpenter Street). Also, the ditching of Trip from the Triumvirate means that the character growth of Tucker has been stymied. Trip is a Commander of Starfleet and a fine Command Officer. Shouldn't Archer be spending more time perparing Trip for the day he becomes a Captain?

I really thought that T'Pol was going to become a civilian Head of Science and Archer's confidante and Trip was going to move up to be First Officer in series Three. It would have altered the dynamic in many ways that would all have improved the show. T'Pol supposedly has a degenerative brain disorder, yet not a thought seems to have gone into when it would, or will, effect her judgement. Moving her from the direct command line would have been logical, (no pun intended :lol: ). T'Pol would have had to have got used to being out of the loop in some areas and having to ask instead of order. Trip would have had to shoulder the duties of First Officer as well as Chief Engineer, which, on top of his sister's death and his insomnia, would have produced a number of interesting scenarios. Archer would have had to have got used to a switch in the positions of his staff, i.e. that it would have gone from T'Pol as First Officer and Trip as friend, to Trip as First Officer and T'Pol as friend. It would have meant more scenes with Archer and Trip, that have been so sorely lacking. It would have made sense and it would have been fascinating.

And if I could swallow the idea of everyone on Enterprise just accepting the civilian T'Pol as staying First Officer, (including the MACO's who have no reason to trust or respect her), the very idea that, if Archer was killed or became unable to Captain Enterprise, that Starfleet would promote T'Pol, as in Twilight, is where anyone's suspension of disbelief would falter. They have a choice of T'Pol, a civilian Vulcan, whose desire to save Earth is as minimal as any other Vulcan's. Or Commander Tucker, who has shown his abilities and his desire. Earth and Humanity are on the line, do we pick a Vulcan, when Vulcans aren't helping at all and they tried to actively stop us from going after the Xindi. Or the Enterprise' highest 'proper' officer who is more than capable to command, knows the ship inside out and, like all humans, doesn't want his planet and the rest of his family destroyed. And they pick T'Pol!! Absolutely ridiculous. All it did was make the show look as if anyone could do the job of First Officer as long as they have a big bust and look good in a catsuit. And it disrespected Trip for the nth time.

All the character development we were promised for Trip, in losing his sister and becoming vengeance-driven simply never showed. His 'grief', such as it was, became one bad dream and a lot of massage scenes that only seemed to exist to show flesh. (No bad thing, both Connor and Jolene are very attractive, it's just an odd way to treat shock and grief.) It's as if Trip forgot his sister's death the moment T'Pol took her top off, which hardly endeared the viewer to the Commander's loss. Also, his desire to get back at the Xindi faded to one scene in The Xindi and brief mentions in Impulse and Proving Ground.

We are told that Trip is a great engineer, but never shown! There was the problem with the warp engine in the Expanse that was supposedly going to have Trip re-writing warp theory! That never went anywhere. There were the anomalies that I would have thought Trip would, as chief engineer, have to deal with. Nothing there. There were the new equations that Trip used in Similitude. They only had problems because of the cloud of particles. So, are they still used, those equations? Never mentioned again. It looks as if Archer's fight to save Trip in Similitude is now forgotten and his stated need for,'Trip, TRIP!' :lol: , gone with it. Indeed in Chosen Realm we get Archer grabbing Trip's arm and pulling him away to chew him out like he's a misbehaving brat in a supermarket. It devalues Trip Tucker to have him left out of command decisions IMO.

Connor Trinneer took the role of Trip, who could have been every kind of Red-neck stereotype, and made a thoughtful, compassionate, lovable character. TPTB made all sorts of remarks about Connor's wonderful, talented acting, then seemed to push the character into the background. Trip's wonderful in the command chair, so we get him in T'Pol's quarters. Trip's an a amazing engineer, so we see nothing of it. Trip was great in a fire-fight in seasons One and Two, so now, he's not even in engineering when it's retaken in Chosen Realm. :lol:

Looking at the previews of upcoming episodes at Startrek.com his name doesn't even appear in most of the synopses! When he does it's the 'Harbinger thing'. Not there for being a Starfleet Commander or for being Chief Engineer. What a sad waste of a great character and a wonderful actor. I like season Three a lot, but for the pushing away of Trip and the loss of the Trip/Archer friendship.

Sorry this post's so long. This topic is a bugbear of mine! :wow:

I have to split my vote between "Competent Officer/Engineer" and, recently, "backdrop for T'Pol". I will always see Trip as that first choice, but this is a topic as to how we think the writers are treating the character (at least that's what I got from the title). In this respect, yes, he's now sometimes used just as T'Pol's scenery. Just imo.

And that was my point - not just how we see Trip but what the writer's are doing to him this season. And he is becoming way too much of a backdrop

Trinneergirl, long yes but every word true.

And that was my point - not just how we see Trip but what the writer's are doing to him this season. And he is becoming way too much of a backdrop

Trinneergirl, long yes but every word true.

I don't see him as a back drop at all, he's right up front and is doing a great job. He is one of the best Trek characters out now.

Competent officer and engineer. He's been a lot less "goofy" since the Xindi attack.

Also, it seems like he's not as much of an underwear model as he was before. :lol:

I voted for other, which in this case means "all of the above" as well as adding a choice we weren't given: "excellent engineer and kick-*buttocks* officer". Depending on when in the series you're talking about, he's been all of them.

I love Trip...I think 3rd yr Ent is the best season ever...i'd like to see more

of hoshi thou...she has unique skill, it should be used more

Trip would have had to shoulder the duties of First Officer as well as Chief Engineer, which, on top of his sister's death and his insomnia, would have produced a number of interesting scenarios.

Interesting scenarios? You mean when Trip collapsed because of the stress incurred with having to deal with all of the First Officer stuff as well as the enginering problems cause by the anomalies compounded by a lack of sleep? I don't think seeing Trip in sick bay for a few days is what anyone wants. Right now he has enough to do with trying to keep all the systems running on the ship since the ship can't be shielded.

They have a choice of T'Pol, a civilian Vulcan, whose desire to save Earth is as minimal as any other Vulcan's.  Or Commander Tucker, who has shown his abilities and his desire.

Yep, T'Pol's desire to help Captain Archer and Starfleet save Earth is *SO* minimal that she gave up her entire career and position in the Vulcan high command to stay and help. Forgive me but I haven't seen T'Pol standing idly by while everyone else has been doing the work while in the expanse. She has been working *as hard* as everyone else, Vulcan or not, to try to complete the mission because she seems to believe in what she is doing and understands the stakes like all the other's on board.

Trip has shown the ability and desire to be lead, except when he's indecisive of course. I don't think showing him as an uncomfortable Captain was a mistake on the writer's part, I honestly don't think Trip *likes* that much pressure, at least not right now, and is more than happy to have someone else lead. He loves engineering, and while he is free with his 'advice' he understands that he doesn't have to make the decision, since we've all seen how wrong some of his decisions can be, as in the episode where he 'educated' the "breeder" being and later caused them to commit suicide.

Earth and Humanity are on the line, do we pick a Vulcan, when Vulcans aren't helping at all and they tried to actively stop us from going after the Xindi.  Or the Enterprise' highest 'proper' officer who is more than capable to command, knows the ship inside out and, like all humans, doesn't want his planet and the rest of his family destroyed.  And they pick T'Pol!!  Absolutely ridiculous.  All it did was make the show look as if anyone could do the job of First Officer as long as they have a big bust and look good in a catsuit.  And it disrespected Trip for the nth time.

See above. Starfleet Command picked someone who they felt could use logic and reasoning to get the job done, not fly off half-cocked ready to exact vengence on any Xindi they found. T'Pol has MANY more years in a command position, and while she is not part of the VUlcan high command she seems to have an 'unofficial' rank on the ship, which everyone recognizes. It wouldn't surprise me if later in the series she becomes one of the first Vulcan's to join Starfleet.

By the way, it seems like TPTB have finally realized a "big bust and catsuit" is not suitable for the character, and I agree with the change.

All the character development we were promised for Trip, in losing his sister and becoming vengeance-driven simply never showed.  His 'grief', such as it was, became one bad dream and a lot of massage scenes that only seemed to exist to show flesh.

Hrm... It took how many months to get to the expanse to begin with? Three months I think? Seems like the grief would have died down at least a little, and so the dream was ample proof that after the rage had died, Trip had to move on with his life and do his job as best he could; once he could get some sleep that is.

The massage scenes only exist to show flesh? Maybe the first one, but I think they exist to show that everyone needs someone, regardless of how 'aloof' and strong they seem to be. T'Pol has already shown that she isn't as aloof and detached as most Vulcan's, and Trip is showing a basic human emotion which is that being with someone of the opposite sex, not necessarily having sex, but just being around them also helps sooth ragged emotions and foster's that "herd mentality" that appeals to all of us on a deeper level.

In any event, there is other stuff I see in a different light, but that's enough for now.

For the record I like Trip, especially the direction his personality changed to once the Xindi attacked, and think he is a good officer and exceptional engineer. I just like to look past any bias for one character or another and any desire to have them on the screen more, and enjoy the show. Remember that this show has as many, if not more, characters than most Star Trek shows so it's hard to get them all meaningful screen time, especially when they aren't "major" characters like the Captain and First officer. Personally I'd love a weekly 3 hour episode where we could see bit's of what each main character is doing but that's not possible.

Interesting scenarios? You mean when Trip collapsed because of the stress incurred with having to deal with all of the First Officer stuff as well as the enginering problems cause by the anomalies compounded by a lack of sleep? I don't think seeing Trip in sick bay for a few days is what anyone wants. Right now he has enough to do with trying to keep all the systems running on the ship since the ship can't be shielded.

Well, Ozymandous, firstly the ship could be shielded if T'Pol wasn't on board. The only reason they haven't used the Trellium D is because of it's effect on Vulcans. Incidentally, Trip in sick bay for a few day made one of the best shows of the series, (Similitude). And yes, I would like to have seen how the stress played out in Trip. After all, if T'Pol hadn't chosen to stay, Trip would have had to shoulder the burden. There are no other Commanders aboard.

Yep, T'Pol's desire to help Captain Archer and Starfleet save Earth is *SO* minimal that she gave up her entire career and position in the Vulcan high command to stay and help. Forgive me but I haven't seen T'Pol standing idly by while everyone else has been doing the work while in the expanse. She has been working *as hard* as everyone else, Vulcan or not, to try to complete the mission because she seems to believe in what she is doing and understands the stakes like all the other's on board.

I never said that T'Pol didn't work as hard as anyone else. I said that having her as Science Officer and First Officer meant there was too much time spent on she and Archer. I said that, in my opinion, it is in detriment to the show and I stand by that.

Trip has shown the ability and desire to be lead, except when he's indecisive of course. I don't think showing him as an uncomfortable Captain was a mistake on the writer's part, I honestly don't think Trip *likes* that much pressure, at least not right now, and is more than happy to have someone else lead. He loves engineering, and while he is free with his 'advice' he understands that he doesn't have to make the decision, since we've all seen how wrong some of his decisions can be, as in the episode where he 'educated' the "breeder" being and later caused them to commit suicide.

Well, we can agree to disagree on that on, since I think that firstly suicide is by definition self-murder and the responsibility of the person commiting the act. And if his/her reason was despair, it was Archer sending her back to slavery that is to blame. What Trip did in Cogenitor was right, the way he went about it was wrong. What Archer did was plain wrong.

Trip has proven a fine and decisive captain. Only once, in the Seventh, did he come across badly. In Cease Fire, Twilight, Extinction and every other time he has been a first-class Command officer.

Starfleet Command picked someone who they felt could use logic and reasoning to get the job done, not fly off half-cocked ready to exact vengence on any Xindi they found. T'Pol has MANY more years in a command position, and while she is not part of the VUlcan high command she seems to have an 'unofficial' rank on the ship, which everyone recognizes. It wouldn't surprise me if later in the series she becomes one of the first Vulcan's to join Starfleet.

Starfleet Command had nothing to do with T'Pol's original assignment. The Vulcan High Command insisted she be instated before they would give the starchart to the Klingon homeworld to Archer. The choice of T'Pol in as Captain in Twilight was disasterous. And no-one on Enterprise has flown off 'half-cocked ready to exact vengeance on any Xindi they found'.

Click for Spoiler:

As Trip said to Shran, 'That's not why we're here'.

For the record I like Trip, especially the direction his personality changed to once the Xindi attacked, and think he is a good officer and exceptional engineer. I just like to look past any bias for one character or another and any desire to have them on the screen more, and enjoy the show. Remember that this show has as many, if not more, characters than most Star Trek shows so it's hard to get them all meaningful screen time, especially when they aren't "major" characters like the Captain and First officer. Personally I'd love a weekly 3 hour episode where we could see bit's of what each main character is doing but that's not possible.

For the record I like T'Pol. I just feel the position she holds as a civilian looks glaringly silly in the show. It wouldn't have degraded her character for her to be Head of Science. Every modern Trek had seven main characters. So does this, in principal. In effect it has Archer and T'Pol and it's got old after a series and a half. There were supposed to be three 'major' characters, Archer, T'Pol and Trip. Now Trip has been pushed back and, I'm sorry, my 'bias' is that they should have more of the best character on the show and more of the best relationship, Trip/Archer. Enterprise would be better for it, in my opinion. Jolene Blalock is a good actress, but Connor Trinneer is a remarkable actor, both naturally talented and technically brilliant. His chemistry with every other actor is extraordinary.

By the way, I'm with you 100% on the idea of the three hour episodes! :) :)

Well it looks like I'm in the minority here - I could have voted for any of the categories except the first. The question was how is Trip presented and I think right from the start he has been presented as a competant engineer and a goofy officer - but that is why he is so likeable. It's always been difficult for me to see Reed as his subordinate - in Shuttlepod 1 I thought Malcolm came over very much as the commanding officer. Trip has always been the first to jump to wrong conclusions, make questionable decisions or panic but like I said that what makes him such an endearing character. This season I would say he has definitely been relegated to T'Pol's backdrop which is a shame - the writers seem to have forgotten everything that was set up for him at the end of the last season. I agree with Trinneergirl that it does not sit right that T'Pol has remained First Officer - even more so that the issue has not even been referred to. Trip protested in Broken Bow and I would have thought had every right to do so again.

Trip has always been the first to jump to wrong conclusions, make questionable decisions or panic but like I said that what makes him such an endearing character. 

I don't see that - the fact that he didn't give in to pessimism in Shuttlepod One like Malcolm did doesn't seem to fit that description. I ignore anything either said while under the influence. Trip showed excellent decision making in Cease Fire and Extinction - where he was responsible for saving Reed, Archer and T'Pol's life.

What is particularly interesting is that Archer didn't get a First Officer and or a new science officer while Enterprise was being retrofitted. Hmm, must have been clairvoyance. Since he expected to take T'Pol back to Vulcan it was incredibly irresponsible of him not to select another officer.

I do think Chief Engineer and First Officer would be a little much but Trip should be left in command more. After all T'Pol made a really bad decision in Twilight that cost Earth its last chance for survival.

I have to go with Unicorn on this one concerning SP1. Trip flew off the handle a lot, but Malcolm was ready to give up from the beginning. I'd rather serve under an officer who will fight to the end.

I agree we saw Trip at his best in Extinction and Cease Fire - I also thought he shone in Silent Enemy - the team talk he gave to the engineering team displayed true leadership. There is just something about him though that makes his decision making and command behaviour spasmodic - and don't get me wrong this is one of the reasons I love the character - you never quite know if he's going to keep his cool or not. It's a shame that this season has provided so few examples of Trip doing anything but appear on cue at T'Pol's door and take his shirt off. (Which in my humble opinion is the lousiest decision he ever made).

Edited by chunderfish

It's a shame that this season has provided so few examples of Trip doing anything but appear on cue at T'Pol's door and take his shirt off. (Which in my humble opinion is the lousiest decision he ever made).

I agree with that