Sign in to follow this  
A l t e r E g o

Less Sex, More Issues On ENT?

Date: 04-14-2003

Whatever happened to the days when Star Trek preached about racism, war and women wearing too much clothing?

Apparently, UPN's "Enterprise" co-creator Brannon Braga feels there should be more social commentary in the latest Star Trek series as well. He recently told fans at his official Web site that he is definitely open to exploring more complex social issues on the series in the near future.

"Though we have dealt with a number of social issues in the first two seasons -- 'Detained' dealt with racial profiling, 'Stigma' dealt with intolerance -- but I wish we'd done more of these types of shows so far," Braga said during a recent chat. "I think they are a vital ingredient in the Star Trek recipe. The problem is these kinds of stories are hard to come by. We don't want to tackle an issue unless we can do it in a subtle way using a science fiction metaphor. I agree. We need more."

One major social issue that has seemingly been ignored on the show is that of including some sort of homosexual character. Braga said that he and the producers of the show have not been ignoring those requests.

"This is a question we've been asked many times over the years," Braga said. "The answer is simple: if we can find a way to do it subtly, for a good story reason, then yes. But the trouble is, Star Trek humans are tolerant of all cultures, so how do you portray a gay person without is seeming obvious? We have certainly dealt with gay rights many times on the show however. Most recently in 'Stigma.'"

While some might argue that it can be done subtletly by having some character going after a member of the same sex instead of the opposite sex, it appears that "Enterprise" might tone down even the heterosexual activity a little on the show as well.

"There's been a lot of controvery about that," Braga said. "We are very, very careful not to objectify (T'Pol, Jolene Blalock) or any member of the cast. However, you may have noticed that the men on the crew are pretty sexy, too.

"The most important thing, in my opinion (is) to strike a balance between a good sci-fi concept, character development, fresh action, and, if we're lucky, a little something to think about. That is the perfect Trek formula, though we don't hit it every time, obviously."

Braga said he's well aware of a lot of the criticism that exists in fandom, and while he has grown a thick skin to it, there are times when it's a bit difficult to deal with it.

"I welcome criticism," Braga said. "It helps me keep the show fresh. But some people are so damn mean. It doesn't feel particularly good, but I just keep my head down and do my best. I also try to avoid the real nasty postings.

"Day to day, you just have to ignore it, or channel it in a constructive way. Otherwise, you would be paralyzed with fear and depression. We do the most entertaining shows we can, while keeping Gene (Roddenberry's) vision alive. Despite the blistering comments, just remember -- this kind of negativity has been leveled at Trek over many years, in all the series."

The complete transcript of the chat can be found HERE.

In a related story from Sci-Fi Pulse, executive producer Rick Berman confirmed that "Enterprise" will definitely be taking a different path as it enters the third season.

"It's not so much a cliffhanger as it is a tantalizing taste of what next season will bring," Berman recently told Star Trek Monthly about the second season finale, "The Expanse."

"Next season will deal with Enterprise being sent on a mission that may last many episodes, but it's not going to be a serialized arc. The stakes are the future of planet Earth. They're going to be sent to a part of space they've never been before; a part of space the Vulcans warn is extremely dangerous. It's kind of our quadrant's Bermuda Triangle."

And with that new mission will come some changes in the characters and direction as well. However, Berman said it will all continue to tie together the show's Temporal Cold War.

"There are going to be significant changes," he said. "There will be changed in a number of our characters. I don't mean that we're changing characters. But we're going to see changes as we go into a very ominous section of space, and try to find an alien race that we have reason to believe is going to do everything they can to destroy Earth's population. Our knowledge of all this will come from elements of what we've been referring to as the Temporal Cold War."

Author: Michael Hinman

Guest Ktrek

That chat transcript must have come from the exclusive Brannon Bragga fan club! I'm not sure the comments on other chat forums would have so kind. Oh well! :tear:

Ktrek

I agree that these issues are extremely important in the Star Trek universe. Star Trek has always dealt with hard hitting issues. I just hope that they will continue to do so in such a way that allows the story to be interesting.

I don't mean to be a 'putz' but what ever happened to falling in 'love' with the character before putting them into dangerous situations where you are concerned with what happens to them? I think the reason I'm having trouble with Enterprise is that I'm not really interested in what's happening to them. Sure the social/racial/political stuff is important, but if you don't care what happens to the person/crew who cares? I fell in 'love' with the characters on TOS, and TNG and was concerned with how they dealt with the issues at hand. DS9, VOY seemed to me to be 'going through the motions'. You know, doing "Trek" because it was popular. I kind of feel that way about Enterprise, and please forgive me, the last two movies. Don't get me wrong they are all good in their own way, but I don't 'love' them the way I do the original two. I'm giving Enterprise the chance to show me I'm wrong. I do like the show, it's just I feel like it's just to make money and not for entertainment. Sorry if I offend anyone.

Playing :devil: 's advocate here.

Katy

If you don't care for them then you don't care for them. There is no right or wrong, and you certainly should not be sorry for how you feel, it either floats your boat or it doesn’t.

I've tried watching Enterprise twice (I don't know when it's on, and haven't had the chance to try again for a LOONG time), and i agree with meemaw. Maybe I haven't given the characters much of a chance, but I find it difficult to REALLY care what happens to them, the way I do with the other series. I guess wha turned me off it most of all was all the sex. Just those commercials!! (sexual tension, hoshi naked, T'Pol in bed, sex sex sex my god give it a rest!). I always felt that Trek wasn't about that. So the commercials might have given me the wrong impression, but if that IS what ENT is about, well...I'll try one more time.

Sign in to follow this