Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Archer/Trip schene on Chosen Realm

I've heard several people mention they didn't like seeing T'Pol pushed around on Chosen Realm.

Did anyone notice this scene - when the bad guys are taking over Archer is telling Trip to go along - Trip starts to ask a question and Archer grabs his arm - jerks him around and basically talks to him like he's a juvenile delinquent. Was that necessary - would he talk to another officer like that?

Sometimes I get the feeling that Trip is undervalued by Archer except as a "yes" man.

Yeah, I too thought it was a little bit odd. It was almost as if Archer thought Trip wouldn't obey his orders without being forceful..I guess Archer didn't want to take any chances but I still thought it was strange behavior..Before Archer left he did tell Trip that "This isn't over"..

Stardate:21455.8

I figured it was just that Archer was getting a little unnerved by the whole situation.Trip did seemed a little surprised by his reaction though and I'll admit I was at first.I think it's another example of how the mission in the expanse is effecting Archer emotionally.

Edited by Goose

I think Trip's been a hot head ever since the Xindi-attack on Earth due to grief from the death of his sister.  Archer was just trying to keep Trip from doing something stupid out of anger.

TRIP has been a hot-head? When?

Click for Spoiler:

Here is the series so far...The Xindi. Had a bad reaction to the first actual Xindi he'd ever set eyes on, but stopped the moment Archer ordered it and even helped the Xindi after he was injured.

Anomaly. Nope wasn't a hot-head there as I recall.

Extinction. Was a fine acting-captain. Got the crew back safe, let the MACO's and Phlox do their jobs and was at all times thoughtful and serious.

Rajiin. Traded the spices and got the formula for Trellium. Didn't seem hot-headed to me.

Impulse. Mined the trellium while Archer and the other's were playing 'hunt the zombie Vulcan'. Actually got through to Archer at the beginning that crew morale was down.

Exile. Was made to look a fool by the writers so Archer could look better by firing the thruster while repairing the ship. Seemed more exhausted and disheartened than angry.

The Shipment. He was hardly in it!

Twilight. Was superb Captain Tucker!

North Star. Traded for a horse. Didn't do anything else but sure looked sexy in that leather!

Similitude. Trip, TRIP! :( made a fantastic improvement to the engine, saved the ship from blowing up and looked puzzled at the funeral. Rest of the time he was on a biobed!

Carpenter Street: Showed up at beginning and end for brief cameo. Wasn't hot-headed, just got the crew rosters and looked at 'em!

Haven't seen Chosen Realm yet.

Hardly the roster of a man unhinged.

Trinnergirl - you've got a point there. But i think he has been "affected" by the death of his sister, not hot-headed over the situation.

Have to agree Trinneergirl - Trip hasn't been a hothead. - he was angry once in the Xindi - pretty mild compared to Archer

They're all "affected" by the Xindi attack - I don't see Archer jerking T'Pol around.

Maybe Goose is right - they're just showing how highstrung Archer is getting

I think it was just a way to show how the situation affected Archer, he really wanted to make it clear that no action should be taken since it could put the ship, and the mission, at risk.

My husband says Trip is a hothead. I say he's just impetuous, which is just one of the things that makes him so loveable. :(

Okay, seriously. I thought Archer's handling of Trip's near-outburst was appropriate and necessary. Having said that, I must add that I wish Trip would arrange to show *Captain and Commander* on movie night, so that Archer could get a look at Captain Jack Aubrey's method of management. Aubrey is every inch the authority figure, and would never stand for some of the insubordination that Archer tolerates from Reed et al. However, Aubrey also jokes with his crew, teases them at Captain's mess (if you've seen the movie, you'll recognize the line, "the lesser of two weevils"), and inspires their confidence by being approachable and accessible. It's a fine line, one that Kirk and Picard both walked well. Methinks Archer's "approachablility" rating has slipped this season.

I can't say that the scene bothered me too much considering the context. Archer is Trip's friend but he's also his captain. The situation was dire; Trip didn't have all the information and Archer didn't exactly have the opportunity to explain his plan. He was in charge and he had to get Trip under control because Trip's first instinct is to take action, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but Trip taking action could have torpedoed Archer's plan. He was brusque, but the situation warranted it. He also said, (in a more benevolent tone) "this isn't over yet." There wasn't time for a touchy feely moment. Archer did his job as captain and Trip followed orders like a good officer.

Jackpot MoulinRouge! I :( how you watch ENT with 3-D glasses on, you always see the situations beyond the superficial in such a positive way. ;)

Did anyone notice this scene - when the bad guys are taking over Archer is telling Trip to go along  - Trip starts to ask a question and Archer grabs his arm - jerks him around and basically talks to him like he's a juvenile delinquent.  Was that necessary - would he talk to another officer like that?

Well, I did notice it, and for a second I did think that was a little rough. Then I saw Archer's quick glance at a guard who stood in the engineering room. The camera switched to show him standing there and then came back to focus on Archer and Tucker. And then I figured that it was probably just an over dramatic show for the guy who was standing there. To sort of convince him, you know? Then, in a softer tone, he added "This isn't over yet." I just got the sense that he was trying to fake going along on the outside while rebelling and scheming on the inside.

I also agree with MoulinRouge and Alterego. I saw nothing odd in it at all.Archer knew that without giving a direct order to Trip and let him know he's not kidding about it , that Trip probably would try something and endanger himself.

I seem to agree with most of you. I didn't find Archers behavior out of line. Trip is really a take action kind of guy and sometimes he can even be a little to quick on the trigger. :P I think Archer just wanted to make it perfectly clear that he wanted no action to be taken and knew that Trip was going to object. I think we all have to remember that this isn't just your average mission and sometimes things that would seem un professional under normal circumstances just don't matter when the ship and finally Earth is at stake.

I think Captain Archer was covering all the bases. He knew Trip had acted irrationally before when he thought it was the right thing to do (Cogenitor anyone?). Just reminding Trip to keep a lid on it.