Sign in to follow this  
Mike

ST:TWOK Question

This is a great movie and I've watched this movie many times of course. But there is something that has always bothered me. After Khan attacks for the very first time, Kirk says "Let's see how badly we were hurt" and he turns and there is Scotty holding his badly hurt nephew! Now this was probably done for the shock value for the movie. But I've always wondered why would Scotty bring his nephew all the way up to the bridge? Shouldn't he have gone straight to sickbay with him? Where is Sickbay located anyway? Is it near the Bridge? I thought it was on one of the middle decks..I just have never seen any reason for him to go all the way to the Bridge..Just a little something that has annoyed me all of these years..

Can anyone think of a good reason for Scotty to bring him to the bridge. Maybe to show Kirk..See what you did to my nephew !!

I got TWOK DVD for my x-mas and on the text commentary by Michael Okuda he says the very same thing about this scene. No explanation was given so it probably was just for shock value. Worked a treat though!!!

I always asked the same thing too! I thought that he was bringing him to Mcoy(who is most of the time on the bridge). But they also never explained the coralation between the characters either(they cut out the part where scotty says that thats his nephew)

I always asked the same thing too! I thought that he was bringing him to  Mcoy(who is most of the time on the bridge). But they also never explained the coralation between the characters either(they cut out the part where scotty says that thats his nephew)

They put that scene explaining that he is Scotty's nephew back in for the Directors Edition DVD..I still don't see any reason to bring him to the bridge except for the shock value..

Edited by spacetigger

I'd always wondered 'bout that myself as well. Shock value's the main reasoning, but I like that "thought the Doc might've been on the bridge" theory. I haven't watched it in a while; was there any proof in those scenes that would go against a theory that inside-the-ship-communications were down in that short period of time? (i.e.- how long was that scene after the last Capt. to Scotty in Engineering convo?)

Just trying to see if this can be rationalized. :)

I haven't watched it in a while; was there any proof in those scenes that would go against a theory that inside-the-ship-communications were down in that short period of time? (i.e.- how long was that scene after the last Capt. to Scotty in Engineering convo?)

Just trying to see if this can be rationalized. :)

I know that Kirk did talk to Scotty over the intercom during the battle. Remember he yelled at Uhura to "clear up those damn channels!"..I'll re-watch it to see if they were hit afterwards but I don't think it's a factor. I'm sure the comm channels were open. Even if McCoy was on the bridge during the attack he wouldn't stay there. He would head to sickbay to attend to injured crew members..Anyway the sickbay is the place to head with an injured person not the bridge..

I'd think sickbay would require a lot of floor space, so it'd probably be in the saucer section. Maybe when Scotty went to tell the turbo to go to Sickbay, he accidentally told it to go to the bridge due to being in grief? That's what I allways figured.

Perhaps with the ship receiving a good hiding the turbo-lift malfunctioned.

To be honest I never really thought about it that much as I'd rather have a good film than one that follows all the rules in the Trek bible.