Sign in to follow this  
shadowfigment

First IBM PC System

I was reading my latest issue of PC Today... and saw something that made stop and smile. In an article toward the end of the March 2004 issue, there was a comparison between IBM's first PC model and it's current 2004 PC desktop system. For those of you who remember 1981, this might make you stop and smile.

Original IBM PC System

Processor And Speed: Intel 8088, 4.77MHz

Memory: 64KB, Expandable to 256KB

Keyboard: 83-key wired keyboard

Mouse: No Mouse

Storage: Two 5.25-inch 160KB floppy drives / No Hard Drive

Monitor: 15-inch monochrome CRT

Audio: No Sound Card

Printer: Dot Matrix 80cps (Characters Per Second)

Cost: $4,425.00

This information made me stop, take a look at my still operational Compaq 486s (Which runs Windows 3.1 / DOS 6.22) that sits beside my 2003 Dell PC, pat it and say... You've come a long way baby!

:cool:

Memory: 64KB, Expandable to 256KB

How is that even possible??? :force::eek: :huh: Mine is 52.2GB.

This is what Bill Gates had to say on the matter back in the eightys :P

640K ought to be enough for anybody.

Well back in the day... Programs were striaght foward and streamlined. There was no extra junk inserted into programs. No one needed super hard drives or lots of memory to get the job done.

I think it is nice to see what accomplishments have been made in the world of PC's.

we came a long way.... we came from big a*s computers to little a*s computers....

HAPPY 20TH BIRTHDAY MACONTOSH!!

even though i hate macs..but happy birthday

:blink: <--so me

Nothing is wrong with Mac's.  They are great for design projects... (i.e. Adobe Photoshop...).

Stardate:21452.8

Macs rule when it comes to desgin projects.But besides that....no thank you I will take a PC any day!

4.77mhz....I used to have an old 1994 PCCM E-machine with a 700kb harddrive and a 6.68mhz processor,a one button mouse, a 5 1/2 inch floppy drive and a 1-10 ethernet card! And it still runs!!!!The only thing I use it for is playing monopoly and Wheel of Fortune on the old black and green monitor.Its a classic!

Of course now now I have my Dell with 120GB harddrive,2.24 Ghz processor,3 button lazer mouse,floppy drive and a 10-1000 ethernet card and a 56K dial up modem.

Unbeleive able how far we have come in technology in 20 years.Imagine where we will be in another 20 years

Stardate:21452.8

Of course now now I have my Dell with 120GB harddrive,

Only in 2001 I think my computer only had 3GB of hard drive!

Yeah, my mom just got an IMAC, and it's been hard to adjust from my old Packard Bell Legend 408CD. I'd say the IMAC is a definite upgrade... But give me a pc any day.

:)