Sign in to follow this  
TransporterMalfunction

My first post on the DS9 page!

How do you DS9 fans see the introduction of Worf?

My personal view is that he was brought in to boost the ratings with a better liked character from a more successful series. I think it worked as it made me watch the odd episode of a series I was not really too keen on, infact I have seen quite a bit of DS9 but never really put time aside to watch the show especially, as done with TOS and TNG.

So, what are your thoughts on this topic?

Guest Ktrek

I think there is no doubt that the producers brought Michael Dorn in to boost ratings and to capture some of the TNG fans when the series ended. It worked! Ratings did go up but more importantly it added another dimension for the writing staff to work with. I liked Worf. Not only on TNG but also on DS9. Over the years his character has endeared itself to me and we would know a whole lot less about Klingon culture if Michael had not been willing to continue to wear the makeup and bring Worf to life week after week! :tear: I think he holds the record for the most episodes of any Star Trek character. :D

Ktrek

i loved ds9 before and after worf. but he did bring in a new sense of direction to the show. but i honestly cant remember the episode where he came to ds9. how did they show his transfer from the enterprise to ds9?

Worf came on in episode 1 of season 4. It was right at the beginning of the Klingon/Cardassian war. Worf was brought in just to find out what the Klingons were up to. In it he was going to resign from starfleet but Sisko talked him into staying on at DS9 and even transfered him from Security (Gold uniform) to COmmand (Red uniform).

The episode he shows up in is "The Way of the Warrior"

Click For Spoiler

Whats the one called were Worf meets the real Martok on some prison moon were they have to fight the guards in a contest? I think that really embelishes Worf as a character and would have to be the best episode of the series in my opinion.

Whats the one called were Worf meets the real Martok on some prison moon were they have to fight the guards in a contest? I think that really embelishes Worf as a character and would have to be the best episode of the series in my opinion.

In Purgatory's Shadow I think

Yes, In Purgatory's Shadow was part 1 of that 2 part episode. That was a great 2 parter too. The second part is called By Inferno's Light. They are from season 5. There's a quote from that episode that I love.

Sisko to Worf on the outset of Worf and Garraks mission to search for Tain in "In Purgatory's Shadow"

Sisko: "I Suppose I don't have to tell you to keep a close eye on him."

Worf: "At the first sign of betrayal I will kill him, but I promise to return the body intact."

Sisko: "I assume that's a joke?"

Worf: "We will see."

Yes, In Purgatory's Shadow was part 1 of that 2 part episode. That was a great 2 parter too. The second part is called By Inferno's Light. They are from season 5. There's a quote from that episode that I love.

Sisko to Worf on the outset of Worf and Garraks mission to search for Tain in "In Purgatory's Shadow"

Sisko: "I Suppose I don't have to tell you to keep a close eye on him."

Worf: "At the first sign of betrayal I will kill him, but I promise to return the body intact."

Sisko: "I assume that's a joke?"

Worf: "We will see."

dang!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my wifes always telling me to shut up when were watching tv, i always start saying what their gonna say before they do, she hates it, but i couldnt just recall the name of an episode then a specific quote from it, i :tear: to your greatness. :D

My personal view is that he was brought in to boost the ratings with a better liked character from a more successful series. I think it worked as it made me watch the odd episode of a series I was not really too keen on, infact I have seen quite a bit of DS9 but never really put time aside to watch the show especially, as done with TOS and TNG.

I thought it is was killer! I have to disagree with it being done simply as a ratings ploy, I think it (the Klingon Civil War) was a good story idea and having Worf show up was the only logical thing to do.

I thought it is was killer! I have to disagree with it being done simply as a ratings ploy, I think it (the Klingon Civil War) was a good story idea and having Worf show up was the only logical thing to do.

I agree.

I mean, it wasn't just Worf to put Worf in.

All the story about the Klingon was something important and well written.

If it would have been just to introduce a character, without a solid context, maybe then I would agree that it was just for boosting ratings.

In that case, not really. They may have choose Dorn because he was known as Worf in TNG, but if he had refuse, I think they would have go on with the story lign anyway. Just with an other character.