Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

29th Century Safleet

Guest Guest
Thats what I hate about time travel, its so damn complex!!

That's what I like about Time Travel, its so complex yet understandable & obvious. :wow:

:grin:

Interresting idea.  However, if the time traveler goes back to 1800, and makes a tiny change, why would that effect him in the future before he travels back? :wow: The way I see it, you would have to interract with people, disturb items in the past, or something to that effect in order to change anything of any significance, and even then, your future might remain as you left it.  In fact, this is an issue I'll be dealing with in a time-travel trilogy I'm writing.  One of the themes will be a race of aliens, bent on stealling the main character's time machine in order to change history so they may rule our future.

What I'm suggesting is that the original time trip wasn't significant in and of its self but that it was only a difference of a single particle, but it redefined the time line ( example: 1800-2800A and travelerA ,the pretraveled timeline ,becomes 1800-2800B and travelerB, difference between A and B, that pesky particle)

Now this causes no NOTICABLE difference in human terms but even if it takes nearly an infinite number of deviations to break the temporal circuit of 2800 to 1800 to 2800 it WILL break and from our perspective it doesn't matter if its the second time or the hundred trillionth time threw the cycle , it will be our history.

Its not the significates of a single deviation (though one can never discount that one in a million lucky shot)but the accumulated differences

Now up til this point I've used the example of the particle to illustrate the fragility of the timeline but lets up scale it to give a more human fill to it . You travel from 2004ad to 2004bc say to ancient egypt and stay only a moment as you see the landscape and enjoy a cool breeze blowing from off the nile ,but to preserve the timeline you leave quickly ( you are a very responsible chrono- tourist :P ) well you changed the air flow in the spot you stood and that tiny change causes other tiny changes as air particles bump together causing slighty larger diviations, day after day , year after year, century after century till say for example the freak fog that shielded Washingtons escape from brooklyn appeared a day before or a day after. So Washington's hanged, the U.S. loses the war, and you are almost certanly not born (which would really put a kink in you travel plans to egypt :P )

In other words again the timeline goes 'poof',but I'm not saying you can't travel in time,only that you can not travel to YOUR past as , taking the many worlds theory into account,the act would cause a new timeline.

So I guess the moral of the story is go back in time and kill George Washington as many times as you like, there plenty more of hims where they came from :wow:

Yes, but the thing is, once those particles are disturbed in the first time trip... Years later, when the time trip happens again, the same particles will be disturbed in the same fassion. I don't see why it would change. :grin:

First off, if there is time travel, there should never be chrono-tourism, that'd destroy our future as we know it. Before travelling far back in time, one must make all calculations possible, study the time perriod, and so forth before going back. The further you go back, the greater risk you have of damaging the timeline. The forces of Earth are vast. I doubt changing the air flow could possibly start a chain reaction that would keep the USA from ever existing. I read your thing on air flow, and I just don't believe something so subtle would cause so much damage, it's possible, but extremely unlikely.

The moral of the story is: Don't go back in time, unless you know what you're doing. Other wise, you risk messing up your own timeline, not some "other world". Time travel involves this reallity, only. You travel to our past, not someone elses. :o

Yes i agree with the captain here, & note the guest guy is actually me, i got the habit of forgetting to log in before posting :wow:

anyway, about the time thing.

When the traveler alters the past, the part where is being changed will take on its own role as a new universe now.

While the traveler's original universe will remain as the source of his birth & disruption of the other timeline.

It won't change the traveler's own actions, because in the new timeline he may not even think of it & the old timeline he has done what he have set of to do intentionally or not & returns to wherever the coordinates of his machine takes him to. It may be his own one where nothing's changed, or the altered timeline where things are different, or somewhere else as a glitch on the system. :grin:

Yes i agree with the captain here, & note the guest guy is actually me, i got the habit of forgetting to log in before posting  :wow:

Thank-you. :P

anyway, about the time thing.

Go on.. :P

When the traveler alters the past, the part where is being changed will take on its own role as a new universe now.

What do you base this on? The most logica assumption would be that our present would unfold differently, much like how the timeline kept morphing in VOY "Year of He**". Once you're in the past, the future does not exist from your perspective, so you can do whatever he heck you want. You cause a new future to unfold, none of this "other reallity" nonsense.

While the traveler's original universe will remain as the source of his birth & disruption of the other timeline.

The traveler's original "present" would cease to exist, replace by a new, different present.

It won't change the traveler's own actions, because in the new timeline he may not even think of it & the old timeline he has done what he have set of to do intentionally or not & returns to wherever the coordinates of his machine takes him to. It may be his own one where nothing's changed, or the altered timeline where things are different, or somewhere else as a glitch on the system.  :wow:

Actually, if the damage is extreme enough, it could keep the traveler from ever existing. There would be no evidence of his existance beyond him and his time machine. (He wouldn't be effected if he's in the past, as the changes are to the future where he is not.)

What you guys are talking about is going to alternate reallities, not time travel. :grin:

Yes, but the thing is, once those particles are disturbed in the first time trip...  Years later, when the time trip happens again, the same particles will be disturbed in the same fassion.  I don't see why it would change. :grin:

First off, if there is time travel, there should never be chrono-tourism, that'd destroy our future as we know it.  Before travelling far back in time, one must make all calculations possible, study the time perriod, and so forth before going back.  The further you go back, the greater risk you have of damaging the timeline.  The forces of Earth are vast.  I doubt changing the air flow could possibly start a chain reaction that would keep the USA from ever existing.  I read your thing on air flow, and I just don't believe something so subtle would cause so much damage, it's possible, but extremely unlikely.

The moral of the story is: Don't go back in time, unless you know what you're doing.  Other wise, you risk messing up your own timeline, not some "other world".  Time travel involves this reallity, only.  You travel to our past, not someone elses. :P

First let me say that we will probably just have to agree to disagree on this one,though I think I understand what your getting at. The act of transition from one point in space/time (2004AD) to another (2004BC) breaks the chain of causality for our traveller and protects him from any of the changes in the timeline,thus eliminating the risk of a temporal paradox,and while it is a perfectly valid theory,one I considered myself, I simply don't believe the universe lets us off that easy. :wow:

As for my theory, the changes that I mentioned are nearly nonexistent , but are still (given enough cycles from point A to B to A) enough to collapse the timeline.

I would recommend ,if you haven't already , that you read about chaos theory as well as the many worlds interpretation of quantum theory.

I whole heartedly agree with you on chrono-tourist, those 29th century yahoo's would turn our time frame into a ridiculous,disney landesque version of the 21st century!! Thats OUR job :wow: :P

What do you base this on?  The most logica assumption would be that our present would unfold differently, much like how the timeline kept morphing in VOY "Year of He**".  Once you're in the past, the future does not exist from your perspective, so you can do whatever he heck you want.  You cause a new future to unfold, none of this "other reallity" nonsense.

Actually it ain't as simple as things being destoyed or changed the reason we see things change in that episode is because another reality is being created & they have to show us on that reality because its being viewed by the Krenim person.

The episode is seeing through he's eyes because he's the one outside of time & not effected by it.

After Voyager crash & destroyed that ship the show then entered to the place where the timeship hasn't been invented yet.

What you guys are talking about is going to alternate reallities, not time travel. :grin: [/color]

Which is sort of how time traveling works. Hard to explain at the moment :wow:

:P

Yes, but the thing is, once those particles are disturbed in the first time trip...  Years later, when the time trip happens again, the same particles will be disturbed in the same fassion.  I don't see why it would change. :wow:

First off, if there is time travel, there should never be chrono-tourism, that'd destroy our future as we know it.  Before travelling far back in time, one must make all calculations possible, study the time perriod, and so forth before going back.  The further you go back, the greater risk you have of damaging the timeline.  The forces of Earth are vast.  I doubt changing the air flow could possibly start a chain reaction that would keep the USA from ever existing.  I read your thing on air flow, and I just don't believe something so subtle would cause so much damage, it's possible, but extremely unlikely.

The moral of the story is: Don't go back in time, unless you know what you're doing.  Other wise, you risk messing up your own timeline, not some "other world".  Time travel involves this reallity, only.  You travel to our past, not someone elses. :o

First let me say that we will probably just have to agree to disagree on this one,though I think I understand what your getting at. The act of transition from one point in space/time (2004AD) to another (2004BC) breaks the chain of causality for our traveller and protects him from any of the changes in the timeline,thus eliminating the risk of a temporal paradox,and while it is a perfectly valid theory,one I considered myself, I simply don't believe the universe lets us off that easy. :grin:

As for my theory, the changes that I mentioned are nearly nonexistent , but are still (given enough cycles from point A to B to A) enough to collapse the timeline.

I would recommend ,if you haven't already , that you read about chaos theory as well as the many worlds interpretation of quantum theory.

I whole heartedly agree with you on chrono-tourist, those 29th century yahoo's would turn our time frame into a ridiculous,disney landesque version of the 21st century!! Thats OUR job :P :wow:

I'd love to continue debating this, perhaps in a chrono-debate thread or something. Sorry if I came off as trying to say my theory is right, I was just trying to help you understand, which you do crystal clear. :P As for your "collapsable timeline" and "other worlds" theories, their sound and logical. I'm working on a time travel trilogy novel. I could share my ideals for how the characters would time travel with you if you'd like. :)

What do you base this on?  The most logica assumption would be that our present would unfold differently, much like how the timeline kept morphing in VOY "Year of He**".  Once you're in the past, the future does not exist from your perspective, so you can do whatever he heck you want.  You cause a new future to unfold, none of this "other reallity" nonsense.

Actually it ain't as simple as things being destoyed or changed the reason we see things change in that episode is because another reality is being created & they have to show us on that reality because its being viewed by the Krenim person.

The episode is seeing through he's eyes because he's the one outside of time & not effected by it.

After Voyager crash & destroyed that ship the show then entered to the place where the timeship hasn't been invented yet.

If it were another reallity, wouldn't the timeship have to pass through some sort of dimensional rift or phase to another reallity? If this is the case, why bother building a timeship? Why not just build a dimensional gateway and search for a reallity where the Krenim's enemies are defeated, he's dead, his wife is alive? He could just go there and resume his dead counterpart's life. :grin: As for Voyager ramming the timeship, the way I see it, the timeship erased itself from history, thus the "Year of He**" events didn't happen from the crew's perspective.

What you guys are talking about is going to alternate reallities, not time travel. :wow:

Which is sort of how time traveling works. Hard to explain at the moment :P

:wow:

I'd like to see why you think travelling to the past sends you do another reallity instead. If you're going to other reallities, that's not time travel. :P

Edited by Captain Jean-Luc Picard

No not entering another reality, creating another reality.

Theres a difference between the 2.

Example:

Original timeline:

Picard's crew split up before 2371 so someone else or no one went to Amargosa Observatory or Veridian III. So either someone failed or no one stopped Soran from doing what he wants & those Klingon sisters got the weapon later & ruled the empire & severed the ties between Klingon & Federation & thrashed the Romulan empire.

Alternate & presently used timeline:

Since Picard saw all this horror of the future, he manage to kept the cool amongst his crew & manage for them to stay together, then by some chance they ended up near Amargoza to save Soran & be at Veridian III to stop both him from destroying a star system & the Klingon Sisters from getting the weapon. Hence a more peaceful timeline but with the cost of the Enterprise-D.

guess the Enterprise-D is a hero too [for stopping a crisis in its own cost], :P didn’t see it that way before till now. :force:

So my point is, the timeline where the Klingons regained power is still existing in another reality of the infinite possibility realities.

Picard's vision, help him to make a different choice to try to change what he saw as an unwritten future as he said. But by changing some things amongst his crew have already altered the timeline hence a new reality is born & taking course in this new & present timeline.

Reality & time have a connection. Not just 1 changes alone. :huh:

Ok, gotta stop here. getting late to prepare for an extra class on Saturday. ;)

:eek:

Ahh, but that's where you're mistaken.

Look you believe that it all alters & lives in 1 universe without creating another.

But how can that be if he changed it that would mean his past self did not see that vision.

So in other words, its the creation of new universes that he lives in now & his past self depends on the other universe to see that vision.

For without it, he wouldn't have made the choice / change.

So we can't say that vision's reality is obliterated, because without it,

"there is no present universe we are currently watching."

:force:

Edited by vold

Ahh, but that's where you're mistaken.

Thanks your opinion. :force:

Look you believe that it all alters & lives in 1 universe without creating another.

That is correct. :eek:

But how can that be if he changed it that would mean his past self did not see that vision.

That's just it, he did. While the future, his present, changes, the time traveler is not effected due to not being in the changing future. The future could change to a point where he never exists, but becuase he's in the past, he is not effected.

So in other words, its the creation of new universes that he lives in now & his past self depends on the other universe to see that vision.

Huh? :huh:

For without it, he wouldn't have made the choice / change.

Why?

So we can't say that vision's reality is obliterated, because without it,

"there is no present universe we are currently watching."

It wouldn't be obliterrated, it would simply change.

Think of it like this:

You go up stream, dig a new path, build a dam, thus cuasing the water to flow elsewhere. Did you create a second stream? No, you just changed it's direction. Do you have memory of where the stream used to go? Of coarse, you were down stream before changing it's coarse.

Thanks my metaphor for time travel changing the timeline and not creating other reallities.

timeline & water streams are 2 totally different situations.

& what i mean by obliterate, is you saying the old line does not exist anymore.

So without the old line, how is Picard going to see that line to make his choice to keep the crew together. ;)

Because if things are altered & the old is gone, then theres no vision for Picard at 2370. No vision means no changes, no changes means crew separated earlier, Feds war with Klingons, Roms practically extinct, a terrible future. :force:

& all this is by result on your own metaphor, as that the old line do not exist because of his choice to change, but since it no longer exist, then he's choice would change back again to the old line. :eek:

This is all following to your idea, which does not fit. Because they can't complete the loop by itself.

:huh: :P

How could Picard see his future if he's in the past? :P

Because if things are altered & the old is gone, then theres no vision for Picard at 2370. No vision means no changes, no changes means crew separated earlier, Feds war with Klingons, Roms practically extinct, a terrible future.  :force:

& all this is by result on your own metaphor, as that the old line do not exist because of his choice to change, but since it no longer exist, then he's choice would change back again to the old line. :eek:

This is all following to your idea, which does not fit. Because they can't complete the loop by itself.

What do you mean by vision? :huh:

You don't know? nevermind.

Vision as in a view of the future. What he saw in "All Good Things" is the future that will come to past if he hadn't made some changes in the present. :force:

That's the vision I'm talking about, he's experiance of the future that Q showed him. :eek:

If Picard hadn't seen that, he would not know what is to come, & that's what mostlikely will happen. But after seeing it & telling the others about it, he had already started to make some changes which lead to the other shows. :huh:

Vision as in a view of the future. What he saw in "All Good Things" is the future that will come to past if he hadn't made some changes in the present. :huh:

Yes, and as soon as he returns to his "present" for good, the "All Good Things..." future is no longer a certainty and can be changed into another future by Picard's actions.

That's the vision I'm talking about, he's experiance of the future that Q showed him. :force:

Yep, but that future has been replaced with a different future.

If Picard hadn't seen that, he would not know what is to come, & that's what mostlikely will happen. But after seeing it & telling the others about it, he had already started to make some changes which lead to the other shows. :eek:

That's just it, Picard did see that future. Just becuase the future changes, that doesn't effect the fact that Picard experrienced that future. :P

But it does effect his memories, because according to you that future no longer exist, so without it, how's Picard going to see it at all.

Q did not made that up, that future Picard saw was actually real, so it has to be there, for him to experiance it at all.

I just saw "Shockwave part 2" & this helps my theory. :force:

When Daniel brought Archer to the 30th century, things altered the future that humans had never made Federation. But Daniels is still there, as he said that all temporal tech. is gone so nothing is holding him outside of time. :eek:

Meaning he is existing not part of that universe. Its like that he's own is still there to support his existance. ;)

in other words, the other reality/timeline is not non-existant. It is still there. Its just that they are in this reality's future where Archer has disapeared & the Federation never came to existance. :huh:

But it does effect his memories, because according to you that future no longer exist, so without it, how's Picard going to see it at all.

Q did not made that up, that future Picard saw was actually real, so it has to be there, for him to experiance it at all.

I just saw "Shockwave part 2" & this helps my theory.  :bow:

When Daniel brought Archer to the 30th century, things altered the future that humans had never made Federation. But Daniels is still there, as he said that all temporal tech. is gone so nothing is holding him outside of time.  :o

Meaning he is existing not part of that universe. Its like that he's own is still there to support his existance. :wow:

in other words, the other reality/timeline is not non-existant. It is still there. Its just that they are in this reality's future where Archer has disapeared & the Federation never came to existance.  :blink:

:blink:

Actually, no. Picard experriences the future, then remains in the present. By remaining in the present, he changes that future. His memories and experriences aren't effected by the changes to the future becuase he's no longer a part of that future. So, you ask how he has the memories in the first place if the future never exists. That's the thing, while the future is changed, it also once existed. It had to exist in order to be changed, thus Picard's memories and experriences are left intact.

You're correct, the future Picard saw was real.

I just saw "Shockwave part 2" & this helps my theory.

OK, I love theories, let's see it! :wow:

When Daniel brought Archer to the 30th century, things altered the future that humans had never made Federation. But Daniels is still there, as he said that all temporal tech. is gone so nothing is holding him outside of time.  :o

My theory is that Daniels might have been protected by the wake of the temporal portal that brought Archer to the future.

Meaning he is existing not part of that universe. Its like that he's own is still there to support his existance. :wow:

There still in his universe, the future was just changed into something where the Federation never existed. He's still there becuase the wake of the temporal portal that brings Arcer to the future protected him from the changes in the timeline.

in other words, the other reality/timeline is not non-existant. It is still there. Its just that they are in this reality's future where Archer has disapeared & the Federation never came to existance.  :blink:

Well, you're correct. The previous timeline existed once, from a non-linear perspective, and is replaced by a new, different timeline. While the events happened, they also didn't happen. You gotta think beyond the linear 3 dimensional world we know. ;)

wow, this has gotten pretty complicated but as far as I can tell this is the reason that the

Temporal Prime Directive

Exhists... so that if one person expierences an alternate time line and then returns to the original they do not proceed to further mess up the flow of time!

wow, this has gotten pretty complicated but as far as I can tell this is the reason that the

Temporal Prime Directive

Exhists... so that if one person expierences an alternate time line and then returns to the original they do not proceed to further mess up the flow of time!

Exactly. :)

Precisely what the Temporal Prime Directive is about, & its because of Archer's experiances, that that particular directive have to be made.

Anyway,

Ok, C.J.L.P.

Here's another example i just saw & its from Enterprise too. "Future Tense"

Its where the Tholians, Sulliban, Vulcan & Human ships engaged in a small battle.

After the beacon is activated. The future folks went back in any point of time to get the things back so the things dissapeared. Other then that everything else remained the same, [the conflict, the Tholians & Sulibon, everything.] :bow:

So if we are to follow your idea of how time works, when the future people take back their things in the past, Archer should not have met the Tholians or the Sulibons, because the history would be altered so the encounter never happened. :)

Instead, they all are left what they were doing all the way until the tractoring the future ship by the Tholians. :)

Do you understand what i mean?

If we are to follow your theory/idea, then they should have ended the show with, them passing that space without finding anything & no Tholians or Sulibons came to claim ownership over the unknown vessel.

So that means it can't be the way you are thinking about how time works. Because its not exactly happening the way you predict. No offense.

So what do you think now?

& please don't say its because they are protected by some kind of field, for 1 thing they didn't entered any field, for another thing the only field there is the radiation leakage that makes them repeat things, not protect them in any way from time. Even if it does, the other ships aren't effected by it, so they should have dissapeared but didn't.
:)

Precisely what the Temporal Prime Directive is about, & its because of Archer's experiances, that that particular directive have to be made.

Anyway,

Ok, C.J.L.P.

Here's another example i just saw & its from Enterprise too. "Future Tense"

Its where the Tholians, Sulliban, Vulcan & Human ships engaged in a small battle.

After the beacon is activated. The future folks went back in any point of time to get the things back so the things dissapeared. Other then that everything else remained the same, [the conflict, the Tholians & Sulibon, everything.] :bow:

So if we are to follow your idea of how time works, when the future people take back their things in the past, Archer should not have met the Tholians or the Sulibons, because the history would be altered so the encounter never happened. :)

Instead, they all are left what they were doing all the way until the tractoring the future ship by the Tholians. :)

Do you understand what i mean?

If we are to follow your theory/idea, then they should have ended the show with, them passing that space without finding anything & no Tholians or Sulibons came to claim ownership over the unknown vessel.

So that means it can't be the way you are thinking about how time works. Because its not exactly happening the way you predict. No offense.

So what do you think now?

& please don't say its because they are protected by some kind of field, for 1 thing they didn't entered any field, for another thing the only field there is the radiation leakage that makes them repeat things, not protect them in any way from time. Even if it does, the other ships aren't effected by it, so they should have dissapeared but didn't.

Your theory is flawed. The future people did not take the ship, components, and dead pilot before the encounter. The future people zapped the ship, it's components, and the pilot after the conflict. Thus, this wasn't an alternate reallity creating by time travel we saw, just people from the future cleaning up a mess. It's "when" the ship is beamed away that effects wether or not the encounter/conflict happens. Since it was beamed away after, there's no reason for that conflict to have not happened.

I realize I am likely to be over looked but I have to ask never the less why doesn't 29th century starfleet come and take away the mobile Emitter I mean the doctor was never supposed to have and It did create several mishaps IE: the episode "drone"

and also I wonder why only the 29th century decided to send back people I mean the guy who came back in futures end part 1 came because earth had just been destroyed but later in part 2 the guy who comes back only came cause he detected voyager over earth's orbit... he could have come from any point in time when they had temporal scanners... AND does voyager itself not bring back the temporal scanners to earth so why would that guy need to tell them about the temporal scanners!

C.J.L.P.

I haven't overlooked that info, I myself was thinking the same thing when that happens, but till Archer mentioned time is like irrelevant to the 31st century, and then it occurred to me of them handling in the past, which is a more likely thing to do. Because it leaves little if not none at all trails of their intervening. People like the Tholians will have no clue at all about humans having time capability to start an argument in the past. :)

Having to get their things away in the current moment is too risky even for very future people.

Anyway, here's another theory :), lets say both our theories are correct, since we manage to answer the situations in both ways. lol

C.V.

There there’s possibly many reasons for why they let the doc kept the tech. But i can think of a few now.

1. Its something suppose to happen.

2. Its just a minor thing & tiny changes are acceptable. :)

3. They didn't notice it, :)

To me its the mix of 1 & 2.

Here's a question for you. What temporal scanners? I don't recall Voyager bringing back any temporal scanners? All I know is, with Archer, Picard, Sisko & Janeway's experiences with time, not to mentioned many other people, its well assumed that the Fed or whatever they call themselves in the 29th century call themselves have temporal tech by then or sooner.

So what scanners are u referring to?  :bow:

I realize I am likely to be over looked but I have to ask never the less why doesn't 29th century starfleet come and take away the mobile Emitter I mean the doctor was never supposed to have and It did create several mishaps IE: the episode "drone"

and also I wonder why only the 29th century decided to send back people I mean the guy who came back in futures end part 1 came because earth had just been destroyed but later in part 2 the guy who comes back only came cause he detected voyager over earth's orbit... he could have come from any point in time when they had temporal scanners... AND does voyager itself not bring back the temporal scanners to earth so why would that guy need to tell them about the temporal scanners!

The 29th century don't interfere unless what happens in the 24th century directly effects them, otherwise it's history. My theory on Holo-Doc's mobile emitter is that they made calculations and discovered it might improve the timeline to a degree, thus would be safe to leave in that century. Another theory is that the mobile-emitter doesn't effect the 29th century enough to be detected, thus they don't retrieve it. As for Captain Braxton of the Aeon from the end of "Future's End, Part II", he was from a timeline where Earth wasn't destroyed, thus he was just showing up to bring Voyager back to the 24th century in the Delta Quadrant. As for why Braxton travelled back in time to destroy Voyager in the first place, I'm still trying to figure out how that all started! :)

Anywho, I think I covered it, let me know if there's anything I forgot. :)

The reason he came to destroy Voyager in the first place, is by some misscalculations that Voyager is the cause of the destruction of earth. Without realising that it was he who started it all by thinking so.

He detected the destruction of earth, get out of time in time ;) & found a wrekage/signs of Voyager & deduce by destroying Voyager it will solve the whole problem.

But the problem is, the point that he returns to the past to destroy Voyager, is thereason that the whole loop started. A Temporal Loop, another reality of he's own self went back to past cause the problem by accident, then his other self went back & did the practically the same thing but Voyager's crew made a different choice here & now to cahnge the events by stopping the creater of Chronowerx.

"instead of whatever their other reality self did that lead to the destruction of earth."

IMHO. :(

:(