Sign in to follow this  
Lessa_Soong

Classic Things About Kirk

Kirk was the Captain that started it all.

What was the thing that you thought made him such a great character and has made his loved for so long.

One of the things that i always liked that few mention is the patented Kirk "roll and come up with phaser in hand ready to shoot" move. He was so good at this. I have never really seen anyone who could roll like Kirk.

WHat is your favorite?

I have no problem with Kirk, it's William Shatner who's becoming a pain.

Agreed. Kirk and Spock are my favourite characters (along with Picard, Bones and Data, and the rest) but when I met both men I found that Mr Nimoy was more generous. I say this because of what I heard in the line to get Shatner's autograph at the Las Vegas convention last year, when this woman standing in front of me was told by some member of staff that she had to put her camera away and was not allowed a photograph as "he will not not do them", she was very disapointed. You could also tell from the way that Mr Shatner held himself that he had a rather large ego, however on the other side of the room was Mr Nimoy who personally thanked each person when they came up and he DID take the time to allow photographs and shake people's hands.

This experience does not ruin my view of the character (Capt. Kirk) as it is very clear that, in this case, character and actor are very different. However, I have a lot of respect for Leonard Nimoy from having seen him outside of the screen.

Also, next time someone sees Shatner having an ego attack, I dare you to mention the quality of the films he directer. That would be something I would pay to see!!! :tear:

Also, next time someone sees Shatner having an ego attack, I dare you to mention the quality of the films he directer. That would be something I would pay to see!!! 

That would be funny. I know what you mean about having the bubble burtst from meanting some of the stars. I was lucky to see Mark Leonard years ago and he was wonderful, funny, charming and unassuming. Then the guy who plays C3-PO came on..Anthony Daniels. He was a jerk. This guy was so full of himself is was stunning.

back to kirk...you gotta love him for the KIRK FU!!! (especially the jump side kick) also, i just love the *boyish* grin and look kirk gives the camera/other person in TOS, usually at the end of episodes....ahhhh what a cutie!

:tear:

I am reminded of a scene in,

Day of the Dove

Kirk say's; Now, before I put you in the brig. Here's a little something I owe you...

He swings the Mother of ALL RIGHT CROSSES into the Klingons face...POW!!!

That rocked!!!

Kirk annoyed me, probably because i've never liked that old ham Shatner (superiority complex) and so that has tainted my view of Kirk.

Kirk annoyed me, probably because i've never liked that old ham Shatner (superiority complex) and so that has tainted my view of Kirk.

Try what I do and remember that Shatner is not Kirk as characters are not always the same as the actors.

Guest -*CADET linda620*-

kirk was that strong-fearless leader... great role. I've heard all kinds of negative things about william shatner's personality... I have a question for anyone who can help me out... I am really curious, does tos group still do public appearances? I cant seem to find any sort of informantion on conventions... or schedules, what i do find is very limited.. I am partiularly interested in Leonard Nimoy. Does anyone know if he still travels for conventions, I know I read recently that he doesnt go far from his home inCA for any length of time-for work... so any info would be appreciated... thanks, linda620

I am really curious, does tos group still do public appearances?  I cant seem to find any sort of informantion on conventions... or schedules, what i do find is very limited.. I am partiularly interested in Leonard Nimoy. Does anyone know if he still travels for conventions, I know I read recently that he doesnt go far from his home inCA for any length of time-for work...  so any info would be appreciated...  thanks, linda620

Leonard was at the Vegas convention last year, I was lucky to see him because I went on holiday with my family and found out about it in the hotel room, hence they had to spend the day with me there, which is good considering that my dad is not a fan (although I think he is secretly).

I know that Shatner does quite a lot of conventions, but I have no idea about Mr Nimoy. I would suggest that you try to catch one with Leonard because he is a good speaker with the odd joke thrown in, but I found that the actress who plays Janeway was the best on stage, and while I am not a big fan of Voyager or her character I really enjoyed listening to her.

The "Kirk FU" was great! I also liked it when Kirk would encounter some alien about twice his size, run up to it, and hit it with a two-fisted shot about three times before getting knocked on his backside.

He was a bit dramatic, but that was fun. I like him coming onto the stage with his back to the camera, and then pivot and start orating really intensely.

The man was the best flying dropkicker outside of professional wrestling I have ever seen...

And with the ladies.. :borg2: he could have taught Riker and Paris a thing or two...

Can't say he was a very cerebral command officer,but he was a tactical genius and was great at improvisation during a crisis....

;)

Kirk is my fav Star Trek character. I liked him. He was a man of action. Also about shatner, I thnk he's mellowed a bit in his old age. I know a couple of people who met him and said that he was more jokey and humerous with the fans. They still think he has a bit of an ego, but it's apart of his charm. Also whether you hate or like Shatner, you should check out the movie Free Enterprise. It's a romatic comedy that involves 2 Star Trek fans who meet their hero William Shatner and find out that he's not all what they expected. Shatner does an over the top performance in playing himself. Good flick check it out.

Stardate:213696.9

I liked him simply because of the legacy he made.Kirk is the legend that helped make star trek what it is along with Spock and Mccoy

Even though I'm not a great fan of TOS, I did like the way he always got a different love interest in every episode :bow: and that was later passed over to TNG in the Riker character.

I actually had the pleasure of meeting James Tiberius Kirk in my youth.What a delightful man!The Enterprise visited an Edoan outpost in the Pahoota system,and I and my bandmates were playing a gig there (yes,I was in a musical combo as a lad).This,of course,is well before Yo'Ko Oh'No! met our lead singer,J'onn and ruined everything.Yes,Kirk had a bit of an ego about himself,but was it not well deserved?He was a man of great deeds.

Also whether you hate or like Shatner, you should check out the movie Free Enterprise.  It's a romatic comedy that involves 2 Star Trek fans who meet their hero William Shatner and find out that he's not all what they expected.  Shatner does an over the top performance in playing himself.  Good flick check it out.

I've never heard of this movie..I'll have to check it out..Is it a recent movie?..Not that it matters..Just curious..

Also whether you hate or like Shatner, you should check out the movie Free Enterprise.  It's a romatic comedy that involves 2 Star Trek fans who meet their hero William Shatner and find out that he's not all what they expected.  Shatner does an over the top performance in playing himself.  Good flick check it out.

I've never heard of this movie..I'll have to check it out..Is it a recent movie?..Not that it matters..Just curious..

It's a great and funny movie. It's rated R so no one under 18 should watch it.

Here's a link that tells more about the film:

http://www.freeent.com/index.shtml

kirk was that strong-fearless leader... great role. 

That's my opinion. But he wasn't aloof, or self-important. To the contrary, he was familiar with his officers (Archer tries to keep close relations also), and could be self-sacrificing. He was clever in battle, and had a sense of where the boundaries were, and when he should ignore them. And as a human being he erred sometimes.