Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

How many Browsers do you use?

Usually I only have 1 browser open at a time. However there are times when I have like maybe 3 open at time..Typically they are...

www.startrekfans.net

www.ebay.com

www.dannileigh.com

Usually two browsers and about 6 messenger windows (at busy times) B)

one of the browsers is mostly

www.patrickstewart.org

and the other one is a message board, always one of the boards I visit every day.

(this board is my fave one, of course :o )

Mrs. Captain Picard

Stardate:213987.3

For me its:

mlb.com

neovampire.com (email)

pvponline.com

echofleet.com

and of course

startrekfans.net

I can get a ton of browsers open just of stfans and then other stuff like globeandmail.com (national Canadian news), ign.com, and Hotmail. And beside that I have at least three msn messenger windows open.

What I usually do when I go onto startrekfans.net is I have the home page in one browser and then I look at the side with all the resent threads and open all the ones that catch my eye in new windows so I have like 7 browsers open. I usually have 2-3 browsers most of the time after I have looked at the resent threads.

Also sometimes I have the My Music folder open on my computer and I listen to music. Like I am now. B)

Edited by thedoctor

I never have more than one browser open at a time, and that's the AOL screen. However, I can have up to 15 or so websites going at once in the AOL screen, but the downside is you can only view one at a time unless you shrink the windows, cascade them, or something.

I never have more than one browser open at a time, and that's the AOL screen.  However, I can have up to 15 or so websites going at once in the AOL screen, but the downside is you can only view one at a time unless you shrink the windows, cascade them, or something.

AOL isn't really a "browser", it's your conduit to the internet. The 15 web sites you have open are in their own browsers.

I don't know if you know this or not, and this goes for all AOL users but you don't have to use AOL to surf the internet. Once you log on to AOL you can minimize AOL and open Internet Explorer by itself and surf the internet that way. It makes the viewing area a little bigger. Try it and see what I mean, and if you do try it that way when you have internet explorer open to the site hit the F11 key and it will make the browser completely full screen. Hit F11 again to put it back to normal.

I never have more than one browser open at a time, and that's the AOL screen.  However, I can have up to 15 or so websites going at once in the AOL screen, but the downside is you can only view one at a time unless you shrink the windows, cascade them, or something.

AOL isn't really a "browser", it's your conduit to the internet. The 15 web sites you have open are in their own browsers.

I don't know if you know this or not, and this goes for all AOL users but you don't have to use AOL to surf the internet. Once you log on to AOL you can minimize AOL and open Internet Explorer by itself and surf the internet that way. It makes the viewing area a little bigger. Try it and see what I mean, and if you do try it that way when you have internet explorer open to the site hit the F11 key and it will make the browser completely full screen. Hit F11 again to put it back to normal.

Oh, AOL is just a conduit with the AOL windows being the actual browsers? Cool, and thanks. As for your IE Browser Window suggestion, that's what I do to visit multiple sites, other wise I just go to a bunch through AOL Conduit with one up at a time. :dude: I know you think AOL is for "Internet newbies", but I like it becuase everything's wrapped up into one service, no downloading or going to e-mail sites. :dude:

Well it depends on what I'm doing...

I use slimbrowser by the way...

ANYWAY, I usually have this site up... My message boards up.. Fanfiction of all sorts.. Research of either VOY or JAG sometimes both....

I multi task a lot... :dude:

Oh, AOL is just a conduit with the AOL windows being the actual browsers? Cool, and thanks. As for your IE Browser Window suggestion, that's what I do to visit multiple sites, other wise I just go to a bunch through AOL Conduit with one up at a time. :dude: I know you think AOL is for "Internet newbies", but I like it becuase everything's wrapped up into one service, no downloading or going to e-mail sites. :dude:

I just think that AOL has become irrevelent because of highspeed cable access. I also believe that within 5 years AOL will not exist, at least not as we know it now. I myself have an AOL account, it's only $8 or $9 per month but I plan on canceling it this month.

HEre's an article about this topic:

http://www.applelinks.com/articles/2003/07...723194448.shtml

AOL Losing Customers, Stock Falls

Wednesday, July 23, 2003

By Applelinks Senior Editor John H. Farr

Blame it on broadband -- although AOL offers broadband now -- or maybe blame it on maturing Internet users, who realize they don't need a portal or a branded online service between them and the Web. Whatever the reason, AOL is losing subscribers at a substantial rate.

The latest figures show that more than 846,000 subscribers jumpted ship in the last three months, which translates to a 23 percent drop in operating income, according to the Associated Press. There's a small incongruity in the data, from our point of view, but maybe the rest of you don't see it that way:

The company said it was cutting non-paying customers in an effort to boost profitability, and now has 25.3 million subscribers.

We didn't know you could be a non-paying customer in the first place -- doesn't AOL have the credit card numbers? But golly gosh yes, drop those who won't pay (?). Sounds like a no-brainer to us. Meanwhile, the stock closed today at $15.71, a loss of seven percent over yesterday, despite higher than expected earnings for the quarter.

I think AOL's main problem is not it's conduit thing, but costomer service.  Any complains I hear are that costomer service is crappy or it's too expensive.

That's a problem, yes but their biggest problem relevance. This may not be true in your case but it would seem that for many many people they "grow out of" AOL once they have used the internet for any length of time. That's not an opinion of mine that I am expressing but rather it's what studies have discovered. It also happens to be my opinion but there are studies that support it as well.

AOL was a great thing, in it's day. It's day is over though, little by little it will start to fade into "Internet history".

I can have up to 30 STF windows, my site, MSN, AIM and maybe ICQ...

[EDIT: heres a screenshot of what my taskbar looks like at the moment...

Click for Spoiler:

taskbar.jpg

[/EDIT]

Edited by trekzone

I think AOL's main problem is not it's conduit thing, but costomer service.  Any complains I hear are that costomer service is crappy or it's too expensive.

That's a problem, yes but their biggest problem relevance. This may not be true in your case but it would seem that for many many people they "grow out of" AOL once they have used the internet for any length of time. That's not an opinion of mine that I am expressing but rather it's what studies have discovered. It also happens to be my opinion but there are studies that support it as well.

AOL was a great thing, in it's day. It's day is over though, little by little it will start to fade into "Internet history".

Yes, but why the heck get another Internet Service when you get get e-mail, instant messaging, music, and loads more all within a single program. That's why I don't like other services, they're nothing more than Internet Explorer connection.

Click for Spoiler:

taskbar.jpg

[/EDIT]

:dude: One for each hot topic thread?

Yes, but why the heck get another Internet Service when you get get e-mail, instant messaging, music, and loads more all within a single program. That's why I don't like other services, they're nothing more than Internet Explorer connection.

I get all those things you mentioned plus I am always connected to the internet with an average connection speed of about 2.8 mbs. Do you have that with your AOL? I'm not saying you should get rid of your AOL, you use what you like. I'm only passing along my opinion, what reports are saying and what I believe will be the future for AOL.

What service do you use?

As for always being connected to the internet, no sir.  I only want to be online when I tell the computer to be online.  That's why I like AOL, you need a screen name and password to get online.

Cox is my service.

I would also say that AOL's "Dial up" system really limits it's users. I know that some people have concerns about always being connected, but once people get over that phobia they realize how much of an advantage it is. Besides, if you don't want your computer connected 24 hours there is a way of turning the connection on and off, and even doing that is 99.9% faster then dialing up AOL to connect.

I would also say that AOL's "Dial up" system really limits it's users.

Believe it or not, I actually agree with VBG. Yes, I said I agree...now go get a calendar and write this down because it's a rare occasion. I think AOL dial up leaves a LOT to be desired and I can't wait to get rid of it.

I would also say that AOL's "Dial up" system really limits it's users.

Believe it or not, I actually agree with VBG. Yes, I said I agree...now go get a calendar and write this down because it's a rare occasion. I think AOL dial up leaves a LOT to be desired and I can't wait to get rid of it.

You agree with me on many occasions... in face who did you say you were rooting for in the Super Bowl if the Packers don't go??

What service do you use?

As for always being connected to the internet, no sir.  I only want to be online when I tell the computer to be online.  That's why I like AOL, you need a screen name and password to get online.

Cox is my service.

I would also say that AOL's "Dial up" system really limits it's users. I know that some people have concerns about always being connected, but once people get over that phobia they realize how much of an advantage it is. Besides, if you don't want your computer connected 24 hours there is a way of turning the connection on and off, and even doing that is 99.9% faster then dialing up AOL to connect.

I have AOL with Time-Warner cable, and I'm only "online" when I pull up the AOL window and sign on. :dude:

What service do you use?

Cox is my service.

I have AOL with Time-Warner cable, and I'm only "online" when I pull up the AOL window and sign on. :dude:

Is that AOL's version of Broadband?

AOL dial-up and AOL Cable look the same, except you have tons of new features.  The screen name & pass word sign-on screen is the same, only you're connecting via cable instead of the phone line.

My AOL is the Broadband version as well, I still don't like it and plan or getting rid of it. To me it's like putting on your socks, shoes and then a second pair of socks over your shows. To me the 2nd pair of socks is what AOL is. But like I said, that's juts my personal feeling about AOL. You are happy with the service and by all means should stay with what you are happy with.

Another issue with AOL is privacy, they (AOL) log everything that you do or say (in IM or email) and store it. They log every site you visit as well.

Click for Spoiler:

taskbar.jpg

[/EDIT]

WOW... Thats a lot.... :)

Click for Spoiler:

taskbar.jpg

[/EDIT]

:dude: One for each hot topic thread?

not always......one for every "View New Posts" search result! im STF crazy!