Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Does it Ever Make you Sad?

Do you ever look up at the stars and think of the future when mankind finally makes it "out there" and feel sad that it won't be in your lifetime? With all the problems of the world I guess its a dumb thing to feel sad about but sometimes I do.

I'm with you on this TUH..I look at the stars alot and wonder if we will ever advance enough technologically and financially to make it out there..I like looking at the stars and dreaming...I do know I'll never see it in my lifetime..And it does make me a little sad at times...

I agree. I often think about how wonderful it would be for mankind to travel to the stars and wish that it could happen during my lifetime, but I know that it will not.

I also look to the stars, I even have a great telescope to look closer, but I think its sad that i will never get to travel amoung them. I hope humanity gets over itself one day and decides to travel and explore the last great and final frontier.

Do you ever look up at the stars and think of the future when mankind finally makes it "out there" and feel sad that it won't be in your lifetime?  With all the problems of the world I guess its a dumb thing to feel sad about but sometimes I do.

Doesn't make me feel sad at all, becuase I think "Revelations", from the end of the Bible, will happen before man has a chance to explore the cosmos beyond our current space program. I'm not saying God would "hold us back", but rather, that I think "Revelations" would occur before we advance enough.

CJLP, I understand your religious perspective influences your opinion about most things in your life. The truth is that is the same for me too. However, sometimes I recognize that everyone else doesn't want to make every topic a religious discussion. I think it is pretty clear Klingonmike doesn't share your views; but that shouldn't be news considering we all know is an athiest and views the world in terms of scientific laws. He doesn't share your view of the future - that seems pretty straighforward to me. So I don't see a need for him to elaborate.

I started this topic for people to reflect on a common sadness many of us feel. If Armegeddon comes before man makes it into space well I think that's pretty sad too. I think the stars are like Sirens - the difference being their music only reaches some hearts and not others. Those that have heard the music understand what I mean about feeling sad.

Even though I have a wonderful family and wonderful friends I sometimes feel like I would give it all up just to be born say, in 200 years..

Even though I have a wonderful family and wonderful friends I sometimes feel like I would give it all up just to be born say, in 200 years..

I'm rather fond of our wacky timeframe, but... I'd love to be reincarnated in a few thousand years, or reincarnated a few thousand years ago! Or on a fantasy world... you get it. I'd like to travel.

As for when we'll make it... changes happen in leaps and bounds. Who knows when the next will be?

Meanwhile, there's always scifi and fantasy.

As for Revelations: Christians have been saying it'd be soon since the religion began. No sign of it yet. There's no reason not to say 'it'll all happen in the distant future' if you believe, and meanwhile get on with your life. If you don't believe, then don't bother saying it will happen at all. Either way, religion should add to life... but not interfere with what we can accomplish.

Edited by Kyalia

As for Revelations: Christians have been saying it'd be soon since the religion began. No sign of it yet. There's no reason not to say 'it'll all happen in the distant future' if you believe, and meanwhile get on with your life. If you don't believe, then don't bother saying it will happen at all. Either way, religion should add to life... but not interfere with what we can accomplish.

Well, Christians can't say it'll happen soon as not even Jesus knows when it will happen, only God. It's my impression, due to things going on in the world these days, that Revelations "could" happen before the end of the 21st century. However, I am still hopeful that we'll be arround for at least a few more centuries. I'm hoping Humanity will turn arround one last time before the sky falls. B)

Anywho, let's get back in topic.

Yes, it's sad that we'll never have ships like on Trek, at least in my opinion, but that sadness is taken away by all the wonders we'll be exposed to (speaking from a Christian perspective) when we reach heaven. I'm quite convinced that I might get a moon of my own. :o

I'm rather fond of our wacky timeframe, but... I'd love to be reincarnated in a few thousand years, or reincarnated a few thousand years ago! Or on a fantasy world... you get it. I'd like to travel.

The grass is always greener on the other side B)

Do you ever look up at the stars and think of the future when mankind finally makes it "out there" and feel sad that it won't be in your lifetime?  With all the problems of the world I guess its a dumb thing to feel sad about but sometimes I do.

Actually i do feel like that.....all the time, it depresses me more than most stuff B)