Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

Earthquake hits Virginia

Sometimes it can be really hard to feel an earthquake if your not really close to the epicenter. I usually feel a little dizzy and than I look for something to be rocking back and forth thats attached to the house to be sure it is the ground moving like my vertical blinds or something. I read this article but it doesn't say when the last time they had an earthquake in VA was?

We didn't even get a tremor here in Northern VA. I've been through a few minor earthquakes in San Fran before, but nothing major.

It's good to hear that nothing was harmed...

Sometimes it can be really hard to feel an earthquake if your not really close to the epicenter. I usually feel a little dizzy and than I look for something to be rocking back and forth thats attached to the house to be sure it is the ground moving like my vertical blinds or something. I read this article but it doesn't say when the last time they had an earthquake in VA was?

The last one I am aware of was in 1997, I felt this one:

The Manassas Earthquake - September 29, 1997

The most recent earthquake in Northern Virginia struck Manassas on a Monday afternoon on September 29, at 1:45pm. It was centered at the Manassas Battlefield and Interstate 66.

It was tiny one, just 2.5 on the Richter scale -- about as slight as they bother tracking. If you're a James Bond fan, you'll appreciate one local person's description as having been "shaken, not stirred" after hearing what sounded like an unusually large sonic boom. [He did check to see if a tree had fallen on the roof.] But another resident, whose house may have been right above the epicenter, was woken from a deep sleep. Ironically, she had just returned the previous day from San Francisco, after having avoided traveling there for fear of earthquakes...

As reported in the Washington Post the next day,

"...befuddled residents wandered outside their dwellings and workplaces and flooded emergency dispatchers with telephone calls asking what had happened. Fire and rescue officials rushed around in a vain attempt to find an explosion to explain the event, checking with everyone holding blasting permits in Prince William County."

http://www.virginiaplaces.org/geology/quake.html

Wow. That's scary. Good to hear you are all OK. I've never felt an earthquake before, me living in Alberta, Canada. What's it like?

The one I experienced would be laughed at by people in California if someone were to even call it an earthquake. The house shook very, very briefly. It was like some kind of explosion had gone off outside and we felt the instantaneous vibrations from the explosion. It was just for a short couple of seconds and then nothing else. We had no idea what it was until later that night when the news said it was an earthquake.

Stardate:213940.9

Good to hear no damage was done.

I have been threw 2 earthquakes here in Washington.One on July 2nd,1999 that was I think a 6.2.The other on October 8th 2000 which was a 6.5.We definitly felt them thats for sure.Floors were moving and everything.

It was especially shocking cause earthquakes just dont happen around here.Especailly 2 in 2 years!!!!I think before that the last one was in 1945. :(

Good to hear all is ok.

I've lived in Calif. for 2/3rds of my life and I have yet to feel a shaker which gave any cause for real alarm (knocks wood). The strongest I've ever felt was the Northridge (200 hundred miles away) and even that one was just a large quick jolt followed by a minute or so of gentle swaying, same as all the others I've experienced felt.

I saw that on the news last night. The funny thing is that it was felt here in Towson, Maryland. They interviewed a guy who lives a few blocks away from me and he said he could feel his house shake. He knew it was an earthquake because he experienced them in hawaii. I didn't feel anything . wierd wild stuff.

Edited by SpaceHippie