Sign in to follow this  
Sam The Smuggler

The Alien Quad. Set

I don't like the idea of it folding out like a book, so I'd get the individual movies as they're re-released. However, the Alien movies are too violent, too gory, and contain too much profanity for my taste, so I won't be getting them.

Also, they're calling it a "quadrilogy". Don't the DVD people know this isn't a word? What was wrong with The Alien Legacy? :dude:

I came real close to buying this last week when I picked up my DS9 7th season set. I want to get this and I'm sure that I will. I liked those Alien movies a lot. Has anybody bought this set yet? Is it worth the price?

I haven't seen them. I don't have the alien movies on DVD. I really wanted the Alien "Quadrilogy" but now that I know it comes it a fold out book form I dont! I like traditional DVD cases... my DVD shelf must be consistant... I looks nicer. I hate it when they get creative and make strange packaging.

Also, why isn't quadrilogy a word? It should be. A trilogy is a set of three consecutive literary works. Since Tri is the suffix meaning three, why couldn't the suffix be changed the quad meaning four? True, it isn't a word, but it could be made a word. After all, trilogy wasn't a word at one time. Frankly they NEED a word for 4 movie sets!

Why do they need a word for 4 movie sets? What's next, Pentrilogies and Hexilogies?

The way I see it, if there's more than 3 parts, it should just be called a series.

As for replacing "tri" with "quad", won't that make it Quadlogy and not Quadrilogy?

We already have the Alien movies 1, 2 and 4 on DVD so we probably won't be buying the new set unless we can sell what we have for a decent payback on the price (fat chance :dude: ) Calling the new set (or any set of four films) a "Quadrilogy" works for me. :eek:

As you can see in the quote, the term tetralogy refers to specific kinds of works including drama operatic or literary works. Literary meaning written. Would it appy to novels become films? The definitions would suggest not imo.

te·tral·o·gy    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (t-trl-j, -trl-)

n. pl. te·tral·o·gies

A series of four related dramatic, operatic, or literary works.

Medicine. A complex of four symptoms.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tetralogy

\Te*tral"o*gy\, n. [Gr. ?; te`tra- (see Tetra-) + ? a speech, discourse: cf. F. t['e]tralogie.] (Gr. Drama) A group or series of four dramatic pieces, three tragedies and one satyric, or comic, piece (or sometimes four tragedies), represented consequently on the Attic stage at the Dionysiac festival.

tetralogy

n : a series of four related works (plays or operas or novels)

Calling the new set (or any set of four films) a "Quadrilogy" works for me.
:dude:

I can't wait to bet the Quadrilogy. And about the word "quadrilogy": who really cares?? Does it really matter? CJLP, you said it yourself that you don't like these movies, so why do you care what they are called??

Anyways, I REALLY want to see the extended cuts of Alien and Aliens. Those movies plain rock. I read on a site that even the extra footage in Alien 3 and Alien Ressurection don't come even close to making up for such crappy movies. Lol.

Main Entry: tril·o·gy

Pronunciation: 'tri-l&-jE

Function: noun

Inflected Form(s): plural -gies

Etymology: Greek trilogia, from tri- + -logia -logy

Date: circa 1661

: a series of three dramas or literary works or sometimes three musical compositions that are closely related and develop a single theme

Main Entry: te·tral·o·gy

Pronunciation: te-'trä-l&-jE, -'tra-

Function: noun

Inflected Form(s): plural -gies

Etymology: Greek tetralogia, from tetra- + -logia -logy

Date: 1656

1 : a group of four dramatic pieces presented consecutively on the Attic stage at the Dionysiac festival

2 : a series of four connected works (as operas or novels)

The deffinition of tetralogy does not include movies, but neither does the deffinition of trilogy. Also the "as operas or novels" is just an example, not the rule.

Yes, "quadrilogy" may be kewl, but I'd rather have something more grammitically correct.

Edited by Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Before we get back on topic...  I don't mind "quadrilogy" if it's just for the alien movies, but you can't make it an official word since we have "tetralogy".  That was what I was trying to get at.

Back to "Alien Quadrilogy" now. :dude:

I do agree with you there. If they make this some kind of new "DVD describing word" then it will be stupid, but if its just for one box set, I honestly have no problem with it. Lol. I think they just thought quadrilogy sounded cool. Haha.

*Reads The Thread*

:dude:

Anyways...Since I Still Don't Have The First Set, I'll Get This One.

haha. yeah. didnt answer your question did we? lol. just check the ign reviews though. they are very informative.

To my knowlege there is going to be a alien vs predator movie they have a preview but it is just all old shots from the other movies they did have a part with the director talking with storyboards I will just have to wait and see.

To my knowlege there is going to be a alien vs predator movie they have a preview but it is just all old shots from the other movies they did have a part with the director talking with storyboards I will just have to wait and see.

yeah its true. thats a renter. 'predator' was such a dumb movie. there is even a website for the 'alien vs predator' movie. and it even has wallpapers! lol

also, they have signed sigourney weaver to make another 'alien' movie, supposedly called 'alien: earth'. if they go back to 'aliens' or even 'alien' styling of film, then it should rock, but if they crap it up again like 'alien 3' and 'alien resurrection' then i say its defenitely time to let the series rest... at least for a while.

i didnt like predator. like it wasnt terrible, but i dont think ill ever watch it again. my favourties are the first 2 alien movies. :biggrin: lol

i didnt like predator. like it wasnt terrible, but i dont think ill ever watch it again. my favourties are the first 2 alien movies. :biggrin: lol

I am not a huge fan of them, but I have not seen the fourth one yet.

I am not a huge fan of them, but I have not seen the fourth one yet.

well the fourth one isnt going to make you like them any more than you did. it sucks bad! very bad movie! it may even lower your liking of the series. it sure did for me.

It Was Still Better Than Alien 3 :)

I gotta agree, 3 was imo the worst of the bunch. The adaptability of the Alien in 4 was pretty awesome and the Human/Alien hybrid, well, I shed a tear over it. :biggrin:

really? because i though 4 was the worst. i though winona ryder was SOOOOOOOO miscast. but i did like that dude (the guy who was in nemesis as shinzons viceroy). still i think 2 was the best one. so............ AWESOME!

(sorry if my post is a little incoherent. im in an uber good mood)

i though winona ryder was SOOOOOOOO miscast

Now that you mention that and I think about it for a moment I can see what you mean but her "secret" blew me away much the same way as when the "secret" was revealed 1 & 2.

Part 3 is an important chapter in the saga but imo, was too slow and dull compared to 1 & 2 and I hated what happened to Ripley in it. Part 4 rectified both of those errors and set the stage for the Alien to reach Earth.

Ya its true. I cant wait for the next movie, supposedly called Alien: Earth. That could be really sweet. Honestly though, Ryder's surprise was a little surprising but it didnt blow me away. I saw all 4 of them in a short period of time, so I kind of figured at least one of the characters would "have a secret".

ya it was. then they started milking it. i dont like the "half ripley, half-alien" ripley. shes too mean. i liked her in the first three though. i liked her the best in the second one. she actually had emotions.