Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Boxing Day

I've seen a few posts lately that make mention of Boxing Day. Living in the USA I've just never heard of that before. What is it, how is it celebrated and what countries celebrate it?

U.K. New Zealand and Australia celebrate Boxing Day. Two versions ive heard are:

it was the "poor mans" christmas day, that is employers giving gifts to their employees.

the other explanation is that it is to commemorate the end of the Boxer rebelion in South Africa (?).

It could be a combination of the two...with the latter giving the "Boxing Day" title

The first Christmas I celebrated after getting out of the Army I was up at about 5am or 6am when the phone rang. I answered and it was a man from Australia that had called the wrong number. He was calling to talk to a friend of his and wish him a happy Boxing Day. Even though it was a wrong number we talked for about 10 minutes, I told him I was fresh out of the Army and he asked questions about what the Army is like and what the US is like. It was a real nice conversation between 2 people a whole world apart that didn't know eachother and would never talk again lol. It was pretty cool.

Canada has boxing day too, but it's mostly for really big sales and cheap prices for shopping the day after Christmas. My family always spends it with relatives and exchanges gifts.

Hi there :blink:

Boxing day is really cool because most people don't have to go to work that day. This year, Christmas day is on a Thursday and Boxing day is on a Friday so Aussies get a four day long weekend. I didn't actually know why we celebrated Boxing day until I read another post in this thread. That is a bit sad, as I was born in Australia and I have lived here all my life!! I was never interested in the history behind it, I was just glad that it was an extra day off.

Madam Captain out!!

The story I was brought up with is that Boxing day is when you tidy up all the boxes and crap from the day before. This is untrue and I think most parents make stuff up when asked what is boxing day.

Here's a site that gives a few educated ideas on boxing days history

Boxing day history

The story I was brought up with is that Boxing day is when you tidy up all the boxes and crap from the day before.  This is untrue and I think most parents make stuff up when asked what is boxing day.

Here's a site that gives a few educated ideas on boxing days history

Boxing day history

Thanks for the link, it was helpful.

For many people round here, that's hangover day!

Don't need a holiday for that around here. Hangover day can occur at anytime. LOL

Don't need a holiday for that around here. Hangover day can occur at anytime. LOL

Same here really, but you'll never see so many hangovers at once then on the 26th of December!

Same here really, but you'll never see so many hangovers at once then on the 26th of December!

I can understand that. Here the most hangovers are on January 1st after the New Years Eve Parties, but where I work you find more people with hangovers every day then you do people who don't have one. LOL.

Where do you work!?

I work in a ISP Tech Support Call Center.

LOL never thought there could be many drunks in that occupation! :) B) ;) B) B) B) :lol: :lol:

Its Boxing Day here today. I think its going to be a very quiet day, as yesterday was mostly spent eating lots of food and drinking a few too many. Boxing Day is also when the Sydney to Hobart yacht race starts. This is a big yacht race that begins in Sydney and ends in Hobart. This first started in 1945 so its been going for a long time. I know this because my Dad has always been interested in yachts and sailing (infact, he owned a yacht about twenty years ago and he took us on a big sailing holiday around the top half of Australia). Later he will be surfing through the channels to find some coverage of the race.

Madam Captain out!!

my relies come for Boxing Day dinner......

I went to the beach with my parents and the dog. We had a walk up the beach and let the dog have a swim, then my Dad washed him with sea water. Later, the dog rolled around in the sand.

We didn't have relies over for dinner, just my parents, my brother, his wife and myself. My brother and his wife went out and left me with all the dishes..........

I have to go back to Perth on Sunday, then its back to work on Monday for me. I will be happy when things return to normal again, the last few weeks have been crazy. It was good to come home for Christmas though and I had a good time.

Madam Captain out!!