Sign in to follow this  
adm. stickler

Another question

If you are referring to the ones on the wall behind the tactical station these stations are multipurpose terminals. Meaning that they can be configured to do just about anything. If necessary any of the other consoles can be routed to these stations if the primary station is damaged. Also, individuals from other departments often use them when they are needed on the bridge, such as engineering or the science departments. We often see Geordi or a visiting scientist using the stations.

At the back of the bridge, we have Science 1, Science 2, Mission OPS, Evironmental Control, and Entineering. Obviously you know where tactical is. Riker and Troi's stations are referred to as "command stations". Looking at the back of the bridge from the viewscreen, the two front stations are the helm and OPS. As for the stations on both walls of the bridge, I believe it's 3 stations on each wall. Their functions are unkown since we only saw the upgraded bridge in one movie.

Click for Spoiler:

ed-bridge-bright-dark.jpg

ed-bridge-generations.jpg

After looking at the 3rd picture, it seems like there is two large stations on each wall instead of three.

Edited by Captain Jean-Luc Picard

would it be too far-feched if i were to assume that they were just designed to assume any role they have to, like aux. stations?

I think that would be a safe assumption. Maybe it is a science station.

I just checked an old issue of Star Trek The Magazine that I have that had a section on the upgrades to the Enterprise-D. The terminals along the two sides of the bridge are described simply as additional work stations.

apprantley, they were meant to be put in in the series, but budgets restraints meant they could light em up.....so in the movie - they did.

they were meant to be in the series "The Next Generation", but Paramount didnt give them (they didnt have) a big enough budget to put the plexi glass and lighting and manning etc. in there.

But in the movie, they had enough money to hire extras and light it, and spoof it up.

this explanation was requested by CJLP

they were meant to be in the series "The Next Generation", but Paramount didnt give them (they didnt have) a big enough budget to put the plexi glass and lighting and manning etc. in there.

But in the movie, they had enough money to hire extras and light it, and spoof it up.

this explanation was requested by CJLP

Actually, they weren't planned for the series. The Enterprise-D, Galaxy-class, was intended as an explorrer with families and civilians, basically a small, flying city. The side stations were added to the bridge for Generations to give the Bridge a "movie" feel.

Edited by Captain Jean-Luc Picard

um....no, i saw the interview with one of the production team (Rick Berman?) about it

...and I have an issue of Star Trek: The Magazine, where they explain why they designed the bridge of the Enterprise-D the way they did, why the bridge has a "lounge" feel, the evolution of the observation lounge, and so forth.

The "bridge upgrade" was Berman's idea, while it was really cool, I'm glad it was held off till the movie.

ok, your the Rear Admiral with more knowledge and age then me, so im not going to argue

Well, it's not that, it's just that Berman wasn't apart of TNG from the beginning. Roddenberry wanted a lounge-like Bridge, where as Berman thought the Bridge should have more stations like Voyager's bridge. :blink:

i dont care, its a bridge that was destroyed by a warp core breach

:blink: Huh? Did you see the movie? The battle section was destroyed via warp core breach, the main bridge, the topic of the discussion, was at the top of the saucer section which had crash landed on Veriidian III. The ship was "suppose" to be able to perform a soft-landing as a last alternative, but the unfortunately, the helm was knocked off-line due to the shockwave from the explossion, so down she went!

Data, "Oh, sh**!"

no, i didnt see the movie, the ultimate demise of the saucer, the topic of the discussion, was hit by that

no, i didnt see the movie, the ultimate demise of the saucer, the topic of the discussion, was hit by that

True, but the saucer crash landed, with the ship intact, allthough not salvagable. The last scene of the Ent-D's exterrior showed the saucer on Verridian III with shuttles on top and people walking arround, carrying equipment.

PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dear god!!! anyway i suppose that they are aux. stations.

(Hight pitched voice) please stop the fighting. I simpily can't stand the fighting.