Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

What is "Thanksgiving Day" in the US?

I'm not sure how or if other countries celebrate a "Thanksgiving Day" or something similar but you may notice several threads about Thanksgiving here in the United States. I thought I'd post a little explination of what that day is and why we celebrate it here in the United States.

Basically it's a day to spend with our friends and families enjoying thier company and being thankful for all that we have in our lives. That doesn't always mean matterial things, but I think in most cases means being thankful for the blessings in our lives.

This is from http://www.holidays.net/thanksgiving/story.htm

In 1621, after a hard and devastating first year in the New World the Pilgrim's fall harvest was very successful and plentiful. There was corn, fruits, vegetables, along with fish which was packed in salt, and meat that was smoke cured over fires. They found they had enough food to put away for the winter.

The Pilgrims had beaten the odds. They built homes in the wilderness, they raised enough crops to keep them alive during the long coming winter, and they were at peace with their Indian neighbors. Their Governor, William Bradford, proclaimed a day of thanksgiving that was to be shared by all the colonists and the neighboring Native American Indians.

The custom of an annually celebrated thanksgiving, held after the harvest, continued through the years. During the American Revolution (late 1770's) a day of national thanksgiving was suggested by the Continental Congress.

In 1817 New York State adopted Thanksgiving Day as an annual custom. By the middle of the 19th century many other states also celebrated a Thanksgiving Day. In 1863 President Abraham Lincoln appointed a national day of thanksgiving. Since then each president has issued a Thanksgiving Day proclamation, usually designating the fourth Thursday of each November as the holiday.

Hi there :dude:

That was interesting. We don't celebrate Thanksgiving Day in here in Australia. Wow, only one month until Christmas!! This year has gone by so quickly. What is the weather like where you live?? Its supposed to be summer here now but its still quite cool. It should start getting warmer here soon, Christmas day is usually very hot (close to 40 degrees C or over 100 degrees F)

Well I'm going to watch some more episodes of DS9. I never thought I would say this but I LOVE Deep Space Nine!!!

Linda

People in Germany also do not celebrate Thanksgiving.

But in church there is a mass to thank God for the good harvest. I remember when was young the congregation walked on that day from church to a so called "field cross" to thank God "on site"

Thanks VBG for sharing the information on Thanksgiving Day in the US

@Madame Captain: Today is a beautiful sunny day here, It'a approx 15 degree C / 60 deg. Fahrenheit and that is for a November day too warm. Yesterday evening on the news they anounced colder weather and some snow in the mountains

It's getting cold here, by Christmas we might see a little snow but not usually. It doesn't get really cold until January here in southern Va.

hey now, im down here right next to you VBG and im warm as toast. its great i dont wanna go home :lol: and even warmer tomorrow on turkey day. oh well i guess its all relative, considering there was snow on the ground when i left NY yesterday to come here and have such a nice warm day today.

It's getting cold here, by Christmas we might see a little snow but not usually. It doesn't get really cold until January here in southern Va.

hey now, im down here right next to you VBG and im warm as toast. its great i dont wanna go home :lol: and even warmer tomorrow on turkey day. oh well i guess its all relative, considering there was snow on the ground when i left NY yesterday to come here and have such a nice warm day today.

The temp in Norfolk right now is about 48, that's not as cold as it's been but it's cooling off. This morning there was frost on the windows of the car so it was at least cold enough for that.

VBA, you forgot to mention whom the pilgrims were thanking: they were thanking God for blessing them and keeping them safe in the new world and giving them food to eat and for sending them the indians to help them!

Its 61 degrees (F) here on the Outer Banks of N.C. and raining. Its suppose to be in the mid to upper 60's this Thanksgiving.

I'll be working on Thanksgiving so I won't be eating the turkey until I get home around 7:30 in the evening. Then I'll be thankful I'm off work and eating a big meal!!

The past few days we've been having high's in the upper 70's. It'll probably be like that on Thanksgiving day.

I wonder what I'll cook? (We don't go with the usual turkey, I hate turkey. Last year we had a slow-cooked pot roast with homemade barbeque sauce and a pecan pie.)

Must be nice, Wishfire. My drivers have had to bust out the gloves and Standard Issue Domino's Pizza knit caps. In otherwords, it's clucking cold! we had some very light snow about a week ago. nothing major, but it was starting to stick a bit in certain areas, and some ice formed. It's supposed to (I guess) snow on Wednesday and Thursday throughout much of Illinois, Indianna, and Iowa, so maybe we'll get the first good snowball fight in...

I always give thanks on Thanksgiving for the wonderful people in my life. the whole famn damily, for one. All of my friends, for two. I also thank the good lord above that I live in such a wonderful place.

Edited by Gary_Phaserman